Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek: The Video Game in April

MCV has word to expect the U.K. release of Star Trek: The Video Game on April 26th, abut a month ahead of the movie upon which it is based. That's a Friday, but could still possibly be the game's North American release date, since it is being distributed online. Word is: "Namco has also detailed its pre-order scheme which will be rolling out via retailers in the next few weeks. Trek fans who order the game will recieve [sic] the Elite Officer Pack, which will include extra weapons and uniforms for both Kirk and Spock.&

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 22, 2012, 01:24 NegaDeath

siapnar wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:24:
The best part is when McCoy keeps injecting Kirk with shots whil running around the ship and Chris Pines says "STOP IT!!" in perfect Shatner tone and pitch!

I liked how perfectly he pulled off the cocky asshole bit in the kobyashi maru scene. I get hungry for an apple just watching it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 23:24 siapnar

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:15:
and paid pretty good homage to the original cast of characters imo

The best part is when McCoy keeps injecting Kirk with shots whil running around the ship and Chris Pines says "STOP IT!!" in perfect Shatner tone and pitch!

I have projectile dysfunction.

24. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 23:15 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 20:15:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 18:02:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:21:
Please, just no. To this and JJ Lamebrams and his savaging of Star Trek.

He modernized the series and put out a decent sci fi flick, the hell is wrong with that?

I wouldn't expect you to understand Star Trek...or what constitutes a decent "flick" for that matter.

Actually I'm a fan of both TOS and TNG and the series in general, with the exception of DS9. however the same ol story lines were getting somewhat stale.

It was an enjoyable romp with decent effects and paid pretty good homage to the original cast of characters imo anyway.

23. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 23:01 J

I suspect Cutter's come down with a case of trollitis judging by his recent performances. If you don't feed it for a while it should go away  

22. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:59 nin

siapnar wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:20:
I thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek and look forward to the next one.

Coming from someone who watched Star Trek (original and Gen) at the dinner table while growing up.

I liked it as well. Hope the next one is as good as the previous.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:20 siapnar

I thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek and look forward to the next one.

Coming from someone who watched Star Trek (original and Gen) at the dinner table while growing up.

I have projectile dysfunction.

20. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 22:07 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 20:15:
I wouldn't expect you to understand Star Trek...or what constitutes a decent "flick" for that matter.

I strongly disagree with that statement, Cutter. One's opinion of the new 'vision' for Star Trek has nothing to do with one's Trek fanboy status. I happen to like the new one and I'm definitely a major Trek fanatic. I'm really looking forward to the sequel next year, too. To be honest, while I loved seeing the TNG cast on the big screen, the stories they were using for plots were getting seriously stale and cliche'd. It was obvious to most, whether we wanted it or not, that it was time to move on. Sure, they could have put in another movie or two. Hell, everyone thought ST IV was the last, then V (god forbid) and then VI. Nimoy and Shatner are getting old, there's no way around it anymore. I love them to death but like the possibility of seeing another 'Lethal Weapon', you just had to wonder...how? Sure, they could do a 'pass the torch'-type of story to a new crew but I think the way it was handled ultimately (in the 2009 film) was more interesting. Yeah, time travel and alternate realities, blah, blah. I know. But once the cat was out, you had no choice but to skin it...er, uh, I mean you couldn't put it back in the bag again. They went there in IV and in 'Generations' and then in 'First Contact', so, wth, why not, eh? They did a good job with the acting and the visuals and respecting most of the previous series design. Obviously not everyone was going to like it. There are die hards that think the Enterprise re-design was sacrilege. So be it. The fact is what it is. This is the path they chose to take and barring getting a hold of billions of dollars and the rights from Paramount's cold, dead, bloated corpse, we're just gonna have to make the best of what we get. I thought they did a good job, I really do and I enjoy watching it. It doesn't slow down much and things are constantly moving ahead. It could have been worse! Uwe could have gotten a hold of it! Then where would we be?

Those that mentioned EGA Trek, it's funny you bring that up because I was just playing that this afternoon! I love it! Such a simple, easy to play game but hard to master. Almost like a game of solitaire or checkers/chess. Really wish there was an updated-ish Window-native version. If I knew programming, I'd do it myself. Just a straight port with a minor graphical update. Nothing more. FTL kinda of fills the role, but in different ways. You know another game like that is 'Rules of Engagement 2' (and the first one also). A little more in-depth but same kind of premise. Not Trek-related but you can tell it was at least influenced by it. (Check it out here if you haven't heard of it) I have ROE2 and used to have the whole box with manuals and everything but sold it. Now I can't find the manals anywhere! They were really thick, like 300 pages or so, too and detailed, with a very intricate background story. Wish I could find the manuals online in a PDF. Even replacementdocs.com only has the manuals from the first version. No one seems to have the second.

That Artemis space-sim is a blast! You have to have like six or seven PC's/tablet's/notebook's hooked up and/or networked to get it going but once you get over that hurdle, wow! Like was said, pair that with a Bridge Commander-type sim... *drool* Drool

Now I'm gonna go play some more ROE2 and EGA Trek, you got me thinkin' about it...I should be workin'!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2012, 00:21.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

19. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 20:16 entr0py

AdamK47 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:15:
You know it's going to be junk when they use "The Video Game" in the title.

I think it's a geeky reference to Star Trek : The Motion Picture.

18. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 20:15 Cutter

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 18:02:

He modernized the series and put out a decent sci fi flick, the hell is wrong with that?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 19:28 Muscular Beaver

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 12:04:
If I win the lottery I swear I'm personally funding another Bridge Commander game. Why no one has ever duplicated their damage modeling of ships baffles me.

If I win the lottery I'll buy out Abrams and give the franchise to someone else. Hell, even Boll would almost be a better choice.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

16. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 19:24 Kedyn

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:59:
Looks like a decent 3rd person coop shooter but that really isn't my kind of thing. I did however just hit the 60 hour mark in FTL (best non-Trek Trek game ever!). I would also be partial to a new Bridge Commander.

The randomness reminded me a lot of good ol' EGA Trek. Both games are hours of fun.

15. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 18:02 RollinThundr

14. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 17:31 The Half Elf

That is cool, but it was the ability to literally do a knife through butter damage to the models. Sorta like the original Red Faction except on a much more refined scale. Carve off engines, drill holes through the ship, etc.

Now if they had some sort of option like that for Bridge Commander.... oi vey I'd be a happy shit.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 16:39 jdreyer

I just want to fly the Enterprise with my joystick and shoot phasers at Romulans: pew pew!  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

12. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 16:17 KS

Hopefully this will be closer to the awesome of the 25th Anniversary game than Star Trek: Online, with, umm, ships "tanking" in battles.

But for the sounds of phasers, there's nothing Star Trekky feeling about it at all. See also the sound of light sabers in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

11. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 13:50 wtf_man

If I win the lottery I swear I'm personally funding another Bridge Commander game. Why no one has ever duplicated their damage modeling of ships baffles me.

A TOS version please!

As for the 2008 Movie reboot... I actually liked it. I still think the 60's series is better, but I think the new actors did a great job of capturing the essence of the characters that the original cast created. As for the "too much action" bit that everyone seems to complain about... Balance of Terror and Doomsday Machine are my two favorite episodes... and yes.. they are mainly ship battles.

/shrug

10. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 12:34 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 12:19:
Did you see the one where a group came up with software that ran on 4-5 different computers, each with their own station? I can't find it now, but it was the last 6 months or so, and looked awesome.

This might have been it?

PC Gamer had a great article on that, makes it sound fun.

9. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 12:19 nin

Did you see the one where a group came up with software that ran on 4-5 different computers, each with their own station? I can't find it now, but it was the last 6 months or so, and looked awesome.

This might have been it?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 12:04 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 11:59 NegaDeath

Looks like a decent 3rd person coop shooter but that really isn't my kind of thing. I did however just hit the 60 hour mark in FTL (best non-Trek Trek game ever!). I would also be partial to a new Bridge Commander.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo