Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Not being one for cockamamie theories, I have not spent a lot of time planning about today being the end of the world. On the other hand, maybe I should have seen it as a sign of the apocalypse that Verizon worked out my FiOS issues yesterday. Anyway, amid heavy rain and high winds, the power is out here in the BlueTower, and what's worse, is I can't get online with FiOS even with my UPS, so apparently power is out a local substation. In more bad luck, my laptop was without a charge, but I've managed to fire it up using an inverter and a car jumper box with a battery in it for this makeshift update (I won't have access to the mail on my other machine until the power returns, so there may be some catching up to do after this). The one lucky turn is that I am managing to connect to an LTE tower right now, which you can't usually do around here. Perhaps another sign of the end of days. Anyway, I'm not sure how updating will go the rest of today if the power stays down, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

Makeshift Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Links: Updated Spoiler Alert: Super Bowl XLVII ads you'll see.
Stories: Mayan ‘doomsday’ sweeps across the world, no casualties.
Mayan Calendar prediction flops- Experts say Maya never predicted doomsday.
Media: 38 End Of The World Movies Supercut.
The Crappiest Ways The World Could End.
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Official Trailer #1. Thanks nin.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 11:24 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 02:11:
Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 03:06:
jimnms wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 19:20:
I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam.

You're aware that said wifi connection is unsecured, and thus if there's a single guy sniffing that traffic, he is likely to get your steam login information, right?

Don't EVER log in to anything over an unsecured wifi connection. Most of the stuff you log in to over the net is actually unsecured, so anyone sniffing your traffic can you grab your password at will.

The hackers' conference always has a free wifi up for people, and then they post the usernames and passwords of anyone who uses it on a huge screen for all to see. Not to be dicks, but as a warning that using unsecured wifi is a Grade A, 100% security risk.

Didn't mean for this to sound quite like such a lecture, but be very very careful about using free wifi...

Creston

I didn't log in to Steam, I checked the store page in a browser. Even though it's un-secured wifi, Steam uses SSL to log in and for purchases.

and the 2nd level of loggin in from another pc....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:11 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 03:06:
I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam.

You're aware that said wifi connection is unsecured, and thus if there's a single guy sniffing that traffic, he is likely to get your steam login information, right?

Don't EVER log in to anything over an unsecured wifi connection. Most of the stuff you log in to over the net is actually unsecured, so anyone sniffing your traffic can you grab your password at will.

The hackers' conference always has a free wifi up for people, and then they post the usernames and passwords of anyone who uses it on a huge screen for all to see. Not to be dicks, but as a warning that using unsecured wifi is a Grade A, 100% security risk.

Didn't mean for this to sound quite like such a lecture, but be very very careful about using free wifi...

Creston

I didn't log in to Steam, I checked the store page in a browser. Even though it's un-secured wifi, Steam uses SSL to log in and for purchases.

Steam Profile

41. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 21:09 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 00:35:
Formatted my system from Win 7 64 to Win 7 32bit, and having all sorts of problems with games I never had issues with. Skyrim (no mods) and Rage seem to be the big contenders. Defrag'd Scandisked, latest vid drivers, older vid drivers, checked Steam integrity.
Anyone think of anything I might be missing?

If you copied th eprofile for the game over to your new install, I would delete the profile for the game. I had some issues going from xp to win 7.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

40. Re: just so you know Dec 22, 2012, 14:06 Orphic Resonance

mag wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 14:43:
Per Wikipedia:
There is no clear evidence that the classic Maya were aware of precession. Some Maya scholars, such as Barbara MacLeod,[41] Michael Grofe,[88] Eva Hunt, Gordon Brotherston, and Anthony Aveni,[89] have suggested that some Mayan holy dates were timed to precessional cycles, but scholarly opinion on the subject remains divided.[28] There is also little evidence, archaeological or historical, that the Maya placed any importance on solstices or equinoxes.[28][90] It is possible that only the earliest among Mesoamericans observed solstices,[91] but this is also a disputed issue among Mayanists.[28][90] There is also no evidence that the classic Maya attached any importance to the Milky Way; there is no glyph in their writing system to represent it, and no astronomical or chronological table tied to it.[92]

hey professor.. you gonna need to do alot more research if you want to impress me with your "knowledge"

a disputed wiki link wont cut it

also, looking up at the sky confirms my original hypothesis, so... its a bit easier to prove

i could give you some evidence for the maya's knowledge of procession, but that would take up my time, which is wasted on you, sorry

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 13:32 nin

THAT'S dedication.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 10:51 PHJF

Even with 4 gigs of ram something about the 32bit doesn't like to use all of it and was causing issues with Skyrim and Rage.

It's 4GB of total memory. Because of memory mapped I/O, a large chunk of your 4GB is going to be gobbled up by VRAM.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 09:15 Prez

Goddammit - we are all still here! Now I have to figure out how to explain to my wife why I blew next month's mortgage payment on hookers and blow at my "End of the World" bash Friday night. Damn Mayans!!! Shakefist  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 03:27 The Half Elf

Was time to do my annual cleaning of the computer. And it turns out Win 7 32bit was the culprit. Even with 4 gigs of ram something about the 32bit doesn't like to use all of it and was causing issues with Skyrim and Rage.
So reinstalled 64bit version.

Oh and I tried out the 32 bit version because I wanted to play Saints Row 2 but it has issues with the 64 bit version (which come to find out are exactly the same with the 32 bit version) so went back to 64.

And when i did reformat I formatted both drives my 160 gig 'main OS drive' and my 500 gig 'gaming' drive (which is damn near full!).
Which is the fault of all you damn gifters!

And on a related note thank you for the gifts I greatly appreciate them, and will be returning the favor once I get back to work. Helps take my mind off of things

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 03:06 Creston

Creston

34. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 03:03 Creston

Formatted my system from Win 7 64 to Win 7 32bit, and having all sorts of problems with games I never had issues with. Skyrim (no mods) and Rage seem to be the big contenders. Defrag'd Scandisked, latest vid drivers, older vid drivers, checked Steam integrity.

You went from 64 bit to 32 bit? May I ask why?

As for what it might be, I would have to guess that the config files think you're running a different OS. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, thereby forcing it to re-detect everything.

Creston

33. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 01:19 mag

What do you mean formatted? Did you do a completely new install with Win7 x64, reinstall everything?

32. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 01:05 The Half Elf

I think my video card may be dieing as it was fine when I turned off the HD texture mod for skyrim, but running Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Borderlands 2 max settings was fine...  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. Re: Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 00:43 nin

Formatted my system from Win 7 64 to Win 7 32bit, and having all sorts of problems with games I never had issues with.

Huh. Guess I've been lucky in that regard.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Tech Question of the Night Dec 22, 2012, 00:35 The Half Elf

29. Re: just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 23:15 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 13:46:
Man, somebody should have warned me of the pitfalls in losing a ton of weight. Virtually everything I own has become comically oversized. Well, at least my shoes still fit.

Congrats sir. The academy will be a hell of a lot easier.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 21:54 Agent.X7

I thought the world was over this morning when I woke up and my internet connection was out. I couldn't check Steam's store page, so I grabbed my netbook and left home early. I saw a work truck from the cable co. down the street from my house, so I figured they'd have it back on by the time I got home. I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam. I didn't miss anything and there was over 4 hours until the next set of flash deals rolled over.

When I got home this evening it was still out. I called the cable co. and they said they were aware of the problem and crews were in the area working on it. I ate a snack and watched something that was recorded. I was about to pack up my netbook and head back to McDonalds when a few minutes ago when it finally came back up. It must have been something serious for it to be out so long.

Around this same time (Steam winter sale) the last two years my connection was constantly cutting off and on several times a day. I'm wondering if my ISP is doing this on purpose.

Thanks for the reminder. Just picked up Hitman on sale. Whee! Happy Christmas to me!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 19:20 jimnms

I thought the world was over this morning when I woke up and my internet connection was out. I couldn't check Steam's store page, so I grabbed my netbook and left home early. I saw a work truck from the cable co. down the street from my house, so I figured they'd have it back on by the time I got home. I drove to a McDonald's and sat in the parking lot using their free wifi to check Steam. I didn't miss anything and there was over 4 hours until the next set of flash deals rolled over.

When I got home this evening it was still out. I called the cable co. and they said they were aware of the problem and crews were in the area working on it. I ate a snack and watched something that was recorded. I was about to pack up my netbook and head back to McDonalds when a few minutes ago when it finally came back up. It must have been something serious for it to be out so long.

Around this same time (Steam winter sale) the last two years my connection was constantly cutting off and on several times a day. I'm wondering if my ISP is doing this on purpose.

Steam Profile

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 16:32 1badmf

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:32:
I just thought it was sort of weird to have it on the same day as the winter solstice. I was really looking forward to surviving it and getting my Fallout/Mad Max on and referring to it as "the before time...in the long, long ago."

mad max beyond thunderdome was one hell of a fantastic film. and tina turner's theme song kicked approx. 1 billion different kinds of ass. if that's the result of the apokalypse, i'm all for it.

25. Blue Needs a Generator Dec 21, 2012, 16:31 jdreyer

My folks just installed one for about $4K and had it wired to the electrical system. It's got like 7000 watt capacity and would be more than enough to handle your house I'm sure. Given all the outages you guys have, and that your business depends on it, might be prudent given how often blue tower loses power.

If the cost is high, maybe you could do a kickstarter?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 15:53 PropheT

I think the best part of all the "end of the world" nonsense is how disappointed so many news outlets seem to be that nothing happened.

I predict an outpouring of articles on when the world is ACTUALLY going to end over the next week or so. They should just go the History Channel route and start each article with, "Alien astronaut theorists believe..."

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo