Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Not being one for cockamamie theories, I have not spent a lot of time planning about today being the end of the world. On the other hand, maybe I should have seen it as a sign of the apocalypse that Verizon worked out my FiOS issues yesterday. Anyway, amid heavy rain and high winds, the power is out here in the BlueTower, and what's worse, is I can't get online with FiOS even with my UPS, so apparently power is out a local substation. In more bad luck, my laptop was without a charge, but I've managed to fire it up using an inverter and a car jumper box with a battery in it for this makeshift update (I won't have access to the mail on my other machine until the power returns, so there may be some catching up to do after this). The one lucky turn is that I am managing to connect to an LTE tower right now, which you can't usually do around here. Perhaps another sign of the end of days. Anyway, I'm not sure how updating will go the rest of today if the power stays down, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

Makeshift Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Links: Updated Spoiler Alert: Super Bowl XLVII ads you'll see.
Stories: Mayan ‘doomsday’ sweeps across the world, no casualties.
Mayan Calendar prediction flops- Experts say Maya never predicted doomsday.
Media: 38 End Of The World Movies Supercut.
The Crappiest Ways The World Could End.
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Official Trailer #1. Thanks nin.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 14:43 mag

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 13:39:
Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:32:
I just thought it was sort of weird to have it on the same day as the winter solstice. I was really looking forward to surviving it and getting my Fallout/Mad Max on and referring to it as "the before time...in the long, long ago."

its supposed to be on the winter solstice, and its supposed to be the day when the rising sun visually aligns with the center of the elliptical plane of the milky way galaxy... a cycle that takes 26000 years

it was a projection of an astronomical event, calculated back in 500BC ...

thats what the mayans were doing - all this "end of the world" stuff came much much later, via Terence McKenna

Per Wikipedia:
There is no clear evidence that the classic Maya were aware of precession. Some Maya scholars, such as Barbara MacLeod,[41] Michael Grofe,[88] Eva Hunt, Gordon Brotherston, and Anthony Aveni,[89] have suggested that some Mayan holy dates were timed to precessional cycles, but scholarly opinion on the subject remains divided.[28] There is also little evidence, archaeological or historical, that the Maya placed any importance on solstices or equinoxes.[28][90] It is possible that only the earliest among Mesoamericans observed solstices,[91] but this is also a disputed issue among Mayanists.[28][90] There is also no evidence that the classic Maya attached any importance to the Milky Way; there is no glyph in their writing system to represent it, and no astronomical or chronological table tied to it.[92]

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 13:46 PHJF

Man, somebody should have warned me of the pitfalls in losing a ton of weight. Virtually everything I own has become comically oversized. Well, at least my shoes still fit.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. just so you know Dec 21, 2012, 13:39 Orphic Resonance

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:32:
I just thought it was sort of weird to have it on the same day as the winter solstice. I was really looking forward to surviving it and getting my Fallout/Mad Max on and referring to it as "the before time...in the long, long ago."

its supposed to be on the winter solstice, and its supposed to be the day when the rising sun visually aligns with the center of the elliptical plane of the milky way galaxy... a cycle that takes 26000 years

it was a projection of an astronomical event, calculated back in 500BC ...

thats what the mayans were doing - all this "end of the world" stuff came much much later, via Terence McKenna

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 13:28 Agent.X7

OMG, THE FIERY RAIN HAS BEGUN AND EVERYONE....Oh, sorry. Sorry. False alarm. Just someone lighting a cigarette outside.

PS - The Maya are not extinct. They just left their centers of civilization and headed for the coast.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 13:14 Creston

Steelcamp wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 12:18:
Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 10:59:
but I've managed to fire it up using an inverter and a car jumper box with a battery in it for this makeshift update

McBlueyver?

Creston

Here is an article on using an inverter and a car as a generator for power outage issues Cheap Power Generator

Interesting, thanks for the link!

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 12:42 MajorD

Steelcamp wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 12:18:
Here is an article on using an inverter and a car as a generator for power outage issues Cheap Power Generator

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing the link/info.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 12:25 Fang

And he's especially lucky that the LTE tower has power, if his local substation is without power.

This past summer, during the major east coast windstorm that went through, we lost power at our house AND at our cell phone tower. So there was absolutely no connectivity or way to make emergency calls. It turns out even the 911 stations lost power, so it didn't matter if we could place calls or not.

Yeah, people were not happy around here about the local 911 stations going down.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 12:18 Steelcamp

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 10:59:
but I've managed to fire it up using an inverter and a car jumper box with a battery in it for this makeshift update

McBlueyver?

Creston

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:50 SirKnight

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:41:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:39:
Verno wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:12:
I'm shocked anyone thought an extinct civilization could accurately predict the end of the world, there's some irony there.

The Mayans never said today would be the end of the world. It's just the end of their long calendar, which a new one will now start.

People who believe the end of the baktun signifies the end of the world apparently also believe that the world ends every December 31st?

(And that's not even considering that quite a few Mayan 'experts' have said that the calculation that says today is the end of the baktun is wrong and that it's actually not for another 250+ years.)

Creston

It wouldn't surprise me. There's some real dumbasses out there.

I wonder what the next end of the world date will be set to. I'm sure they're working on something.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:50 The Half Elf

Even if today goes the way of the movie 2012, would it be the end of the world? Of course not, but still doesn't mean we can have some sorta crazy shit going on today.

I'm sorta rooting for the Zombie Apocalypse myself... I mean come on now, no more twinkies, we are shaping up for Zombieland! And if anyone shoots Bill Murray I will personally hunt you down and kill you with a 9 Iron!

And thank you Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2012, 12:06.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:49 Capella

Way to go Blue! I actually did that some years ago when there was an extended outage due to a hurricane. The wife thought that was the coolest thing to sit around and browse the internet with the power out.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:41 Creston

SirKnight wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:39:
I'm shocked anyone thought an extinct civilization could accurately predict the end of the world, there's some irony there.

The Mayans never said today would be the end of the world. It's just the end of their long calendar, which a new one will now start.

People who believe the end of the baktun signifies the end of the world apparently also believe that the world ends every December 31st?

(And that's not even considering that quite a few Mayan 'experts' have said that the calculation that says today is the end of the baktun is wrong and that it's actually not for another 250+ years.)

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:39 SirKnight

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:37 SirKnight

Everyone enjoying the apocalypse? So far it kicks ass! Toooooga!!  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:32 Cutter

And wow is I Am Alive - no pun intended given it's the pockylips today - is really quite awful isn't it? One of those good concept/poor execution and decisions type game. And what a half-assed console port too. And wth is is so bright? Like painfully so. And the retries? I ran out of them and it send me all the way back to the beginning of the story? WTF? Who thought that'd be a good idea? There are just so many things wrong with this game that could have gone right. What a shame.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:12 Verno

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:08 nin

Wow, Blue, you have the worst luck. Fixed, but then lose power, but you have the UPS, but the FIOS location apparently doesn't. Man...

Hope you get power back soon!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:07 dj LiTh

Oh man, thats got to be some kind of sick joke having the power go out today of all days lol. Hang in there blue!  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:00 MajorD

Wow Blue, the things you do and go through to bring us news. Thank you! Wink

I wish you the best enduring another storm. I spoke to a friend of mine earlier this morning and he is driving from Long Island to Bethlehem, PA for a company Holiday party, even against his wife's wishes. He was already three hours in, and said he had about another hour to go according to his GPS.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 11:00 eRe4s3r

Baffling how often Blue writes about power outages too... at this frequency I would think about a bio-diesel power gen... just to be on the safe side.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo