Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free EA Expansions on GOG.com

A "Holiday Update" on GOG.com announces the addition of some free expansions to some EA games offered on the service:

A while back, we started to sell EA games--great classics such as Wing Commander, Privateer, and Alpha Centauri. A few people--just a few!--noted that we didn't have the expansions and that made them sad panda.

Well, panda, be sad no more! As a holiday gift from us to you, we're bringing everyone who bought (or buys in the future!) the expansions for Wing Commander 1 + 2, Wing Commander Privateer, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for you today! These expansions are free updates, so just download the new installers for each game from your account and start playing now! Note that these EA games will not be part of any Daily Deal bundle, so go ahead and pick them up now for only $2.99 each.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 18:12 Jivaro

Thank EA? You people are nuts. That is like thanking Betty Crocker for pancake mix. EA gets money, and that is all they are after. They aren't doing anything looking for or expecting a thank you. If they offered me a discount for saying thank you, then maybe we can talk about it. Adding some free stuff to something that has a price tag doesn't mean anything other then they are trying harder to sell more of whatever it is.

I will thank a developer, a tester, an artist, etc. A publisher? Not gonna happen. I don't thank Bloombury for books, I don't thank Sony for music, and I sure as hell am not going to thank EA for games.

Now get the hell off my lawn.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2012, 18:19.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 18:08 RollinThundr

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 16:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 22:16:
Awesome stuff.

Thanks GOG!

Creston
Shouldn't you be thanking EA Games mwahahahaha!

Last I checked EA still owns those properties, they could have gone the usual douchebag route and not let GoG release them, instead they let them release them for essentially free. Give some credit where it's due imo.

If they were Valve owned properties people would be praising Gabe like he's Jesus, oh wait people already do that, nevermind.

21. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 18:00 Creston

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 16:45:
Awesome stuff.

Thanks GOG!

Creston

I... fnargh... urgh... DAMMIT. *tersely* Thanks EA.

I'm sure there's some line in the EULA somewhere that accepting the free add-on means EA now owns my house or something.

Creston

20. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 16:45 netnerd85

Awesome stuff.

Thanks GOG!

Creston

19. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 11:25 Dev

Creston wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:00:
Optional nickname wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 10:00:
dear GoG,

please work with Commodore / Amiga, to get their classic games to us, via special emulators.

you will have all extra revenue, guaranteed. Perhaps rejeuvinate some old developers, as they suddenly get some royalty money again.

bah humbug to EA

The developers wouldn't get a dime off those old games. Only the publishers would ever see any money out of that, and apart from a rare few games, most of those publishers have all long since gone the way of the dodo.

Creston
It would depend on specific games. Some old games had contracts where the rights reverted to the developer after periods of time.

But in the main, you'd be right.

18. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 11:01 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 00:45:
For all the hate you guys send EA's way. (alot of it deserved mind you) Wouldn't hurt to thank EA, I imagine GoG more than likely had to work something out with them.

I bought the games, the proceeds of which all go directly to EA, rather than Origin. Isn't that enough?

Creston

17. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 11:00 Creston

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 10:00:
dear GoG,

please work with Commodore / Amiga, to get their classic games to us, via special emulators.

you will have all extra revenue, guaranteed. Perhaps rejeuvinate some old developers, as they suddenly get some royalty money again.

bah humbug to EA

The developers wouldn't get a dime off those old games. Only the publishers would ever see any money out of that, and apart from a rare few games, most of those publishers have all long since gone the way of the dodo.

Creston

16. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 Jivaro

This worked out well for me...

I just recently found out that my Alpha Centauri disk was missing. I have my original box, manual, etc...but I guess my disk either got loaned out or lost during one of my moves. The expansion was missing as well, so this sale knocks out two birds with one stone and, to quote Gaige, "makes my inner completionist say yeaaaah".

I had this same issue with Icewind Dale 2 recently as well, which I also solved using GOG. Now if they would get Blade Runner I would have all of my lost disks replaced. I loved that game.

15. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 10:00 Optional nickname

dear GoG,

bah humbug to EA

14. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 09:33 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, this is damn impressive on both GOG's part and EA's. They could have charged for these expansions and I think very few people would have complained. Personally, I easily would have paid a couple of bucks for Alien Crossfire at least. Giving it away for free is just damn classy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

13. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 09:16 wtf_man

I wish they had more 2005+ category games in their library... I'd rather buy from them, than Steam.  

12. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 04:18 mag

Oh fuck yeah. SMACX. Here we come!  

11. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 02:13 Optional Nickname!

Due to the Holiday Sales I picked up 25+ games for very short money, this includes current offerings as well as those games that I am delighted made it to the modern OS and hardware era (Imperialism!).

Additionally, GOG responded quickly to a minor billing question, and in the time it took to download Alpha Centauri, they updated it to include the necessary expansion!

Not all is perfect, a small issue with Adobe AIR has found its way into at least one game - Defender's Quest, a surprisingly good RPG Tower Defense. There is even a 'Don't track me Bro' half-joking check box in the options. Prompting discussion about AIR and its necessity in the game. Luckily the developer has responded positively and things may change (an AIR-less GOG compilation.)

GOG prides itself on DRM (and spy-ware) free products and with their responsiveness, they demonstrate it. Valve certainly could learn a thing or two about customer centrism from GOG.

10. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 01:37 Prez

entr0py wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 01:31:
For all the hate you guys send EA's way. (alot of it deserved mind you) Wouldn't hurt to thank EA, I imagine GoG more than likely had to work something out with them.

Yeah they deserve at least as much credit as GoG. Do more of this sort of thing, EA.

If they did they wouldn't have the reputation they do now. But yeah, credit where credit is due.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 01:31 entr0py

Yeah they deserve at least as much credit as GoG. Do more of this sort of thing, EA.

8. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 00:45 RollinThundr

7. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 20, 2012, 23:38 Dev

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:27:
What's in bold had not previously been the case.
Thanks. Yeah I noticed that bolded line earlier when I went to check after this bluesnews story. I didn't see that there before.

I'm really looking for something like steam's update news, where you can click and see changes (at least for many games), and not guessing whats changed on the description page.

There was one other game updated in my list right after I bought it that I can't remember now, I think it was a HOMM or MOM game.

Speaking of homm, reviews on GoG sound like HoMM 5 is much better than the crappy homm 4. I might give it a go. I bought way too many bundles from GoG Its rare they do such a sale with 75% off stuff.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2012, 23:44.

6. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 20, 2012, 23:27 Prez

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:18:

I guess that would be why GoG said that game was updated. Anyone know if there's any way to see whats actually been updated when a game is marked updated?

The original GOG release only was for the main game, not the expansion. The update is highlighted on the store page:

What's cool about it:

-Includes the Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire expansion.
-Great spin-off of the legendary Civilization series, in a refreshing Sci-Fi setting
-Design your own units. Balance their speed, power, and toughness to suit your current tactical needs
-Seven factions to chose from, each with its own artificial intelligence model that creates a very suggestive feeling that you are up against real people

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 20, 2012, 23:26 Prez

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:18:

I guess that would be why GoG said that game was updated. Anyone know if there's any way to see whats actually been updated when a game is marked updated?

The original GOG release only was for the main game, not the expansion. The update is highlighted on the store page:

What's cool about it:

Includes the Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire expansion.

- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 20, 2012, 23:18 Dev

They say that, but alpha centauri was part of the 1 day super sale that just finished. I know because it came in a bundle I got. Its looking to me like the dailies are just recapping individual packs from the 1 day super sale.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo