Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Holiday Sale

The annual holiday sale is now underway on Steam, offering a bunch of games on sale, with new additions daily, community choice voting, and flash deals to be announced along the way between now and when the event concludes on January 5th. Today's specials are Save 50-75% on the Borderlands Franchise, Save 75% on Mirror's Edge, Save 50% on the Hitman Franchise, Save 75% on the Prince of Persia Franchise, Save 33% on Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Save 75% on Wargame: European Escalation. Word is the new-and-improved sale features an easier way to see when the games you want go on sale:

The Steam Holiday Sale is on now and runs until January 5, 2012. There are huge savings throughout the store, with daily deals, flash sales, and catalog discounts. Additionally, every twelve hours there will be a chance for gamers to vote on a select game to go on sale.

This year, we've taken some of the guesswork out of when your favorite games will be on sale. You may now organize your Steam Wishlist and be notified via Steam Mobile and/or email when a game from the list goes on sale as a Daily Deal. The Steam Mobile App is available for both iOS and Android.

Complete information on all the savings, daily deals, featured publisher game packs, compilations and more may be found on www.steampowered.com.

View
148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

88. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:21 Cutter

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 22:18:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 22:16:
Hay guys, sorry, removed a couple people from friends list....not sure why it is capped at 249. I will try and catch up, I am kind of out of it, 3yo pup had a pretty bad seizure, just kinda took it out of me.

I will catchup when I can. Thanks to the 2 that gifted, I will play it forward...

So sorry to hear that, Bats... Is your pup okay?

Creston

Yeah, not good when puppeh gets sick.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:18 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 22:16:
Hay guys, sorry, removed a couple people from friends list....not sure why it is capped at 249. I will try and catch up, I am kind of out of it, 3yo pup had a pretty bad seizure, just kinda took it out of me.

I will catchup when I can. Thanks to the 2 that gifted, I will play it forward...

So sorry to hear that, Bats... Is your pup okay?

Creston

86. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:18 Cutter

Seph, gifted me a copy of The Witcher 2! He rocks like Mr. Spock! I'll be pulling for the Lions for you from now on, pal - except when they play the Packers obviously.

Edit: It's easy to gift Bats, he has over 60 games on his wishlist, lol! Everyone else has like 10 or 15.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

85. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:16 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

84. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:02 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 22:01:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 21:52:
Haha crap, we messed up the rules a bit didn't we? I figured since I didn't see any comments that nobody had got any gifts yet and that the chain had just started Prez -> Verno -> Me and I sent a gift to Batman... Dude's probably sittin on a mountain of gifts right now

We're still good, I couldn't figure out how to get his wishlist and his friends list is full so I didn't gift him anything. Other two gifts were for out of group people.

Ahh I thought you mean that somehow his gift queue was full or something. I got it now.

83. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 22:01 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 21:52:
Haha crap, we messed up the rules a bit didn't we? I figured since I didn't see any comments that nobody had got any gifts yet and that the chain had just started Prez -> Verno -> Me and I sent a gift to Batman... Dude's probably sittin on a mountain of gifts right now

We're still good, I couldn't figure out how to get his wishlist and his friends list is full so I didn't gift him anything. Other two gifts were for out of group people.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

82. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 21:52 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 21:42:
I guess we're using this steam group after all - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/playitforward2012

Anyone can invite, go nuts.

The super duper awesome Prez has gifted me Far Cry 3! Holy shit! Bro hugs man, appreciate it!

The equally super awesome SpectralMeat has gifted me Hard Reset! Thanks bro!

I am now playing it forward x3! Make sure you have your steam profiles set to accept invites. Oh and Batman, your list is full, just tried to gift you something

Merry Christmas everyone!

81. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 21:42 Verno

I guess we're using this (or both) steam group after all since a bunch of people are joining - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/playitforward2012

Anyone can invite, go nuts.

The super duper awesome Prez has gifted me Far Cry 3! Holy shit! Bro hugs man, appreciate it!

The equally super awesome SpectralMeat has gifted me Hard Reset! Thanks bro!

I am now playing it forward x3! Make sure you have your steam profiles set to accept invites. Oh and Batman, your freinds list is full, couldn't figure out how to see your wishlist.

Merry Christmas everyone!

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2012, 21:51.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

80. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 21:21 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:14:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:10:
For anyone interested, [url= Founders' Packages[/url] are now on sale for the holidays, 25% off. I was waiting for this because I knew they had it on sale before, so now I am a Commander! Love this game...
Its a micropayment shooter game I can see that much from that link, what is it beyond that? Mind throwing a couple sentences of your opinion of it out there?

It's an MMO shooter -- not like PlanetSide, but with actual PvE and RPG-like progression -- in a huge open world, playable in either first- or third-person view. True twitch/skill-based combat thanks to its parallel development as an e-sports caliber PvP game, and all micro-transactions are cosmetic- or convenience-based (standard XP boosts, novelty consumables). No purchasing weapons or anything like that with real money. The developers' Tribes roots shine through by the jetpack playing a huge role in how your navigate the sprawling and often vertical terrain.

There is no leveling system; instead, you spend whatever experience points you earn from killing things or completing dynamic events (not many proper story quests in ATM, just a few tutorial types) in a three-way skill tree to unlock new tech for your battleframe. Your battleframe is like your class, but it's a suit your character wears, and you can change it at any time. In the first tier of "classes," you just take what items come along with the tech license, but later on you can craft customized versions of them using various types of mineral resources, each with their own unique set of properties that affect various attributes of the item.

So, a lot of playtime revolves around collecting those resources, either by gathering them from slain enemies or using portable mining apparatuses called Thumpers. You call one of them down from orbit and it makes a lot of racket (hence the name), so you spend a few minutes defending it from waves of local critters, usually with a squad of up to 5 people. Do a good job and you send it off with a hold full of shinies. But if you fail, you lose the loot and the Thumper itself, which you crafted to obtain.

Otherwise, you can lend your time and energy to the war effort against the mutated/alien race (not exactly sure which it is, TBH) of bad guys called the Chosen. They come down from the sky in drop pods at random locations around the map and will attack Accord (human defense force) strongholds such as watchtowers, research labs, or even major cities. Battles within the latter is a feature that's not yet enabled, but it will eventually lead to the possibility of the Chosen WINNING THE GAME, and all players being kicked off of that shard (their word for instance of the world on a larger server that hosts several), because Earth has been lost.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, there are also player vs. player matches, which right now take place in smaller, instanced arenas. Team deathmatch, point capture, CTF, etc., they're adding new game modes and maps as they go. A planned feature for that, though, is open world PvP, with entire armies (clan/guild organizations) duking it out with vehicles and the like.

I'm really just scratching the surface of a game that is constantly evolving and has several years of content planned. It's a closed beta right now, but most people have invitations to spare (I know I do), so it's pretty easy to get in. Here's a good article from PC Gamer published the other day with more info: Firefall Preview: Taking to the Skies in Red 5's Ambitious Open World MMO

79. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 21:00 Dev

I used bluestacks to install the steam app and login to steam from a "mobile" device, to get the new badge achieve.

http://www.bluestacks.com/app-player.html

Then I deleted the steam app (I wanted to see if it got rid of my login, and it looks like it did, since when I tried reinstalling it asked for my login details again)

78. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:37 SpectralMeat

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:31:
Here's games (not DLC) sorted by price on steam. Stuff starts as low as 49 cents for a game.
steam link

For instance ghost master for 74 cents and zeno clash for 99 cents are probably better games
Thanks Dev
I will gift away some of the games I have already that I got from previous sales before I buy anything. I have a few older titles like
Half Life2
Left 4 Dead 2
Hard Reset
Killing Floor etc
I am just having trouble finding a friend on my friend list who has any of those games on their wishlist

Steam: SpectralMeat

77. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:31 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:23:
Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 19:58:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 19:14:
Did you figure out what the "buy a gift on Steam" means?
Yep, it means exactly that. Go add a game to cart, and click buy as gift.
I just tested it by giving someone here a gift
Thanks
I guess I better load up on Snuggle Truck copies

Here's games (not DLC) sorted by price on steam. Stuff starts as low as 49 cents for a game.
steam link

For instance ghost master for 74 cents and zeno clash for 99 cents are probably better games

76. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:27 Prez

I decided that I'll continue the "Play it Forward" event that Krovven and I started last year despite the fact that he now hates me and wishes I would die in a fire.

The way it worked last year is that you join the Steam group "Play it Forward" either in the beginning or when someone gifts you a game. You then buy a gift for someone else and send them an invite to the group. If you get a gift and invite, be a good sport and join our group, then pick someone else to buy a gift for and send them an invite. It would help if you post comments in the group page saying what you got and from whom and what you gave and to whom so that in the event that someone gives yet doesn't receive, I will buy you a gift off your wishlist. I am going to start tonight with a gift to a guy who did something super awesome for me last year and link the group comment here.

We had pretty good success last year; hopefully we expand and strengthen our little community with some kind gestures this year.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

75. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:24 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 15:00:
Do you guys think Tropico4 will be on sale for more then 75% off as a daily deal? It is on for 66% off at the moment.

If I could give away my Tropico 4 I would....hate that game.
Really?
I really liked the demo.

74. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:23 SpectralMeat

Dev wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 19:58:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 19:14:
Did you figure out what the "buy a gift on Steam" means?
Yep, it means exactly that. Go add a game to cart, and click buy as gift.
I just tested it by giving someone here a gift
Thanks
I guess I better load up on Snuggle Truck copies

73. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:18 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:17:
Haven't seen anything yet, but I just got up, might have missed some flash sales.... ?
I don't think so, I think its still first round of them.

72. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:17 xXBatmanXx

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 15:00:
Do you guys think Tropico4 will be on sale for more then 75% off as a daily deal? It is on for 66% off at the moment.

If I could give away my Tropico 4 I would....hate that game.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

71. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:17 xXBatmanXx

MajorD wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 14:23:
nin wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 13:38:
Deathbishop wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 13:37:
Is there a gift group as there was last year?

Yeah, get Prez in here - I wantsta know!

LOL! Man, I thought you guys were kidding when you were ribbing Prez about the amount of hours he has ranked up playing Snuggle Truck, but I just happen to check his Steam profile the other day and saw he did in fact have 99.9 hours of play time. Is that for Real Prez, is the game that good? LOL!

Where's xXBatmanXx? xXBatmanXx, if you finish all the unfinished games you own on Steam by the end of the year (2012), I'll gift you a game of your choice from the Steam Holiday Sale. Wink

HEHEHE. Yea...that ain't gonna happen. Haven't seen anything yet, but I just got up, might have missed some flash sales.... ?

70. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:16 Dev

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:14:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:00:
And thanks to Dev, I am now Snuggle Truck Approved™

PREZ I challenge you to an End of the World Snuggle Truck Off!

FOOL! I can not be out-snuggled. I will pwn you with my Snuggle-fu.

Speaking of, I just read this bit on the store page:

Just Updated
You will love and tolerate the fluff out of the newest FREE update to Snuggle Truck. Owlchemy Labs has harnessed full creative efforts, and is chomping at the bit to present Brony Mode.

and

Includes level editor

Hey prez, come on, I expect you to make some levels now!

69. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 20:14 Prez

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 20:00:
And thanks to Dev, I am now Snuggle Truck Approved™

PREZ I challenge you to an End of the World Snuggle Truck Off!

FOOL! I can not be out-snuggled. I will pwn you with my Snuggle-fu. I will transcend this mortal existence on this dying planet by riding my snuggly- animal-filled truck into the heaven's.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

148 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo