Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Linux Beta Opens

Steam News announces that the beta of the Linux Steam client is now available to all:

The Steam for Linux beta client is now available to all Steam users, so if you've been patiently waiting for an invitation to join us, consider yourself officially invited!

With a growing catalog of Linux-supported games, an active Steam for Linux community group, and a new GitHub bug reporting repository, the timing’s right to jump in and share your feedback.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 14:03 Beelzebud

They do it already. Anyone making Playstation 3 games or Nintendo games (or even phone games) are using OpenGL already, and as people have pointed out, porting from DX to OGL isn't even the hardest part of porting, it's actually dealing with the sound layer.

The biggest roadblock to porting a game to Linux is if it's like UT3, and relies on some expensive library that the owners won't allow to be redistributed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 InBlack

Well its a start...still how do you get developers to code for OpenGL again when Microsoft poured so much money and time into DirectX?? Or rather the question should be how do you get developers to code for BOTH DirectX and OpenGL???

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 03:37 Beelzebud

Nice to see this happening. Right now I've nearly got it running in Slackware, just have to recheck my libraries when I get some time to tinker with it. I had Ubuntu set up, and it was trivial to get it all running there. With an AMD HD5770 I was running TF2 at full speed as long as I turned anti-aliasing off. The only other Steam game I had that had a Linux client working in beta was Space Pirates and Zombies, and it worked with no problems at all.

Confirmed working on Slackware by me late last night. I got Steam installed and running, and Space Pirates and Zombies plays flawlessly. I get an error in TF2 when I try to launch it, but it was late and I was done troubleshooting for the night. I'll get it running.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2012, 14:04.

17. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 02:26 Grokk

SirKnight wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:43:
I like Ubuntu, but I can't fucking stand Unity. That is why the first thing I always do after installing Ubuntu is install Xfce and KDE. The last time I tried to install GNOME Classic on the latest version of Ubuntu it would give me a blank screen and somehow caused Unity to be very unstable.

I'd like to know if Steam will work on Fedora. I still haven't put it on my linux disk yet but I've always preferred Red Hat and would always go back to it.

There have been a lot of posts about people that have it working on all sorts of different distros. Fedora being one of them.
The catch is that you need to know just a little more about linux than "download file" "click file to install" to make it work on anything else.
The installer is still a .deb file, so unless you're using a a distro that recognises them as standard then you'll have to figure a few things out.

I might also add that they've linked to some newer versions of libraries than RHEL for instance installs by default. Fedora shouldn't have this problem, but using a stable enterprise version might mean updating to some unofficial versions of stuff.

The bottom line is that it should work on any distro. It's just a matter of how much time you want to spend making that happen.
I'd expect within days for there to be tutorials and stuff all over about how to install it on this and that.

16. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 01:00 aesir05

Yay  

15. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:43 SirKnight

I like Ubuntu, but I can't fucking stand Unity. That is why the first thing I always do after installing Ubuntu is install Xfce and KDE. The last time I tried to install GNOME Classic on the latest version of Ubuntu it would give me a blank screen and somehow caused Unity to be very unstable.

I'd like to know if Steam will work on Fedora. I still haven't put it on my linux disk yet but I've always preferred Red Hat and would always go back to it.

14. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:30 Jivaro

Interesting. I am anxious to see if they expand the distro list. So many people seem very determined to use Steam on anything but Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems very "newb" friendly, which is why I get along with it so well. The UI can be awkward, but I am figuring it out.  

13. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:17 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:14:
Is the 32/64 bit thing the bigger deal rather then the distro?

Distro is a massive difference then 32/64 bit.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

12. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:14 Jivaro

Is the 32/64 bit thing the bigger deal rather then the distro?  

11. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:12 Kitkoan

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:10:
I guess what I am not understanding is why people (on the Valve boards) would complain about it not working on anything other then what it claims to work on. I might be misinterpreting something, but the beta was intended for a specific version of Ubuntu. I don't know, maybe I am missing something, but I read the forums and people complain about having problems trying to use hardware and software that isn't supported by the beta...and I guess that just doesn't seem all that helpful in terms of the development process.

Don't misunderstand me, I get it...people want it to work on their preferred hardware and on their preferred flavor of Linux...but it makes sense to me that Valve would pick a particular direction, get it working on that...and then go from there.

Because some people focused on the word "Linux" and thought it would support all flavors of Linux, not just Ubuntu.

And its very rare to find a Linux program that really only works on just one distro only.

10. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:10 Jivaro

I guess what I am not understanding is why people (on the Valve boards) would complain about it not working on anything other then what it claims to work on. I might be misinterpreting something, but the beta was intended for a specific version of Ubuntu. I don't know, maybe I am missing something, but I read the forums and people complain about having problems trying to use hardware and software that isn't supported by the beta...and I guess that just doesn't seem all that helpful in terms of the development process.

Don't misunderstand me, I get it...people want it to work on their preferred hardware and on their preferred flavor of Linux...but it makes sense to me that Valve would pick a particular direction, get it working on that...and then go from there. I mean, they don't have much choice...there are hell of a lot of options when it comes to the Linux platform and you can't develop for all of them at once.

9. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 20, 2012, 00:09 Grokk

I spent most of last night pissing about with RHEL6_x64 and part of the time was spent trying to get steam working.

Mostly I just ran into issues with missing 32bit libs and stuff and at one point I had the thing working to the point that it tried to update but failed after that.

My original plan was to use ubuntu when I got the original steam linux invite, but after installing it, I remembered why I didn't like debian/ubuntu and scrapped it.

Once I get skype working tonight I'll have another hack at steam.
I haven't played anything on linux in years, but I have some nice memories of how smooth opengl games ran on Linux a decade ago.

8. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 23:07 atomicfro

I run Linux Mint Debian Edition x64 and there is a guide hacked together to get it to run on the steam forums, but you have to install a lot of Ubuntu only packages which can cause breakage on LMDE. Then you have to trick the package manager to allow you to install the x86 .debs. Then there are sh scripts that are supposed to get it all to work, but I had no luck. Might be a bit easier if you're running standard Mint.

I installed the x86 Ubuntu LTS on an empty partition because I was so curious and excited about being accepted into the beta, and it works great. I'm sure whatever they bjorked that made it so dependant on Ubuntu will be remedied eventually, as I've never seen this problem before with any other closed source software. And thats coming from a guy with bunch of the old Loki ports, various Humble Bundles, Neverwinter Nights, UT99 and UT2004

7. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:52 Kitkoan

Been using it for a while myself.

I find that its smoother then Windows 7 (I have my games listed as tiles and scrolls much smoother for me).

Games have been iffy with it though.

I'm also using Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

I did a training mission with Team Fortress 2 and it ran like a champ.

Killing Floor is a quick and dirty port and it shows in many ways. It runs on the Unreal engine which doesn't support Linux, so you get many errors and just odd things (like Direct X is a selectable graphic option). The floors sometimes don't show, my flashlight has transparency problems (instead of it being a see thru light, its a gray square where ever the light lands, blocking everything it shines on), runs really slow (on Windows I can max it out and run smooth, Medium for Linux), can't see through the scope on a crossbow (again with it being an issue with transparencies, it looks like you forgot to remove the lens cap...) and a few random issues. While nothing game breaking, it isn't the most fun.

Dungeons of Dredmor plays good but has random slowdowns/freezes for like 30 seconds. And screen size options are much more limited (on Windows I can choose almost every option between 800x600 to 1920x1080, on Linux I can choose either 800x600, 1280x768 (I think it was) and 1920x1080.) A bit annoying for me since I like playing in a Window and 1280x768 is too small on my 15 inch 1080p screen, but isn't big enough for 1920x1080 window.

Swords and Sworcery plays great after I had to move a file (someone on the Steam forums gave me a cut-n-paste code which fixed it). It seems to fix many of the issues for 64bit user but not all people and not all the time.

Space Chem just doesn't work. The file is bad (and its a Wine wrapped file). Replacing the .exe with the one from the .deb file of the Humble Bundle fixed it.

While I have most of the Linux games listed, I haven't tried the rest. Most of them seem to be just quick Wine wrapper games, and a few are just there but no one made sure to even see if they even run.

6. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:40 btallas

So no mint x64? Guess I'll try to install and see what happens.  

5. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:34 atomicfro

As an intermediate / advanced Linux user, I found the steam linux client to be a little disappointing. Without major hacking, it just won't work on anything but Ubuntu, and I think even only the 32bit flavor at that. Also, the client doesn't follow a lot of standard Linux conventions when it comes to X11 which have given a few people some headaches.

I'll say this doesn't bother me too much, as I know Linux is new for Valve and I am very thankful they are doing this at all, and I am sure its only going to get better.

I will also say I am very impressed at how well the games themselves run. I've had no serious problems with the games themselves. The game developers / porters did a thoroughly bang-up job, and I congratulate them.

4. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:17 Jivaro

The only other game I tried was World of Goo. It also ran just fine and with no problems.

I never used the install as my main rig, I just ran it when I had the spare time. I should have done more but just couldn't find the time. The holiday season is a terrible time to be trying to beta test anything..lol. I also used the Linux install for basic web browsing, email, etc with the Steam app in the background as a stability test. I would leave the machine running for a few hours and then come back and try loading SS3. It never froze up or crashed. I can't say it was a rigorous test, and there was nothing exotic about my hardware configuration...so I guess the stability of it shouldn't be that surprising.

3. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 22:10 nin

Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 21:37:
I have been doing the beta for a couple of weeks and found it to be working smoothly...which amazed me for 2 reasons. One, I am a Linux newb who had to do a bunch of research, dig up a older rig out of the garage, install the OS for the first time in my life, and then install Steam without having actually used the OS for anything of real importance. The second reason was because the various forum threads have long posts from individuals who very much sound like they know what they are talking about and are reporting having multiple problems.

Lucky I guess. Was also cool to play Serious Sam 3 for the first time.

What other games did you play? Always good to hear about the experience from folks here.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 21:58 SirKnight

Nice!  

1. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Opens Dec 19, 2012, 21:37 Jivaro

I have been doing the beta for a couple of weeks and found it to be working smoothly...which amazed me for 2 reasons. One, I am a Linux newb who had to do a bunch of research, dig up a older rig out of the garage, install the OS for the first time in my life, and then install Steam without having actually used the OS for anything of real importance. The second reason was because the various forum threads have long posts from individuals who very much sound like they know what they are talking about and are reporting having multiple problems.

Lucky I guess. Was also cool to play Serious Sam 3 for the first time.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo