Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 13:02 m0deth

I'm sorry, why are we listening to predictions from a guy who admittedly spends more time on his rockets than he does either programming for/or playing games?

In case you all don't know yet. John Carmack is completely out of touch. Yes he's insanely smart, too bad he's not using any of that on his company.

Their last 3 titles have been miserable failures, Todd Swollenhead still refuses to admit defeat in the QuakeLive argument, and now more new devs are looking to license either Unreal tech, or ugh...Crytek, than Id tech.

This article is a cry for relevance...and a warning for all of you about all the upcoming overpriced-underdeveloped-hype titles from Id and their licensees.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 11:45 avianflu

console gamers dont complain when a pretty game has 20 fps, so game devs know they can get away with low fps.

I think we'll see the same developer mentality in the next gen.

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 20, 2012, 11:40 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 10:34:
Well, it all depends, right? You can build a time machine, go to 2027, bring back the fastest computer, and I can still write software today that it can't run at more than 30fps.

There is a trade-off between frames and graphics quality. Just because something runs at 30fps doesn't mean it's because the hardware is weak.

It's not about power, it's about how developers are prioritizing that power. If they're choosing high graphics fidelity and lots of crap going on it'll be 30fps. It isn't like there's some magic machine that can run anything you throw at it at 60fps. It's about developers deciding that they want to go at that frame rate and seeing how much crap it takes to get it pushed down there.

For certain. Face it there is a Jr. programmer out there that can make tic tac toe on a i7 struggle for 60 fps. What I find funny is "Caramack can virtually guarantee 30fs", others assume crap etc. It's one of those things we really don't need the answer for today and can just wait and see what we get, then make mention. They very well maybe low-balling the HW.

For the PC crowd if one really wants to feel superior here, the win we want is as much ram as possible so our level/map size isn't affected because it's a console port. So we want the ram, but then we don't want a massive cpu/gpu combo so we can feel superior with our much better HW. Win! Lol

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 11:00 dj LiTh

Rumors i've heard have been a last gen AMD cpu coupled with a 6700 series gpu for the Xbox variety, they are going for cheap, not performance  

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 10:59 Creston

Really John? Does that mean we can expect textures from you guys that are more than 2x2 pixels?

OOoooohhhh!!!!

Creston

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 10:07:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 03:58:
Many people are seriously overestimating the power of next-gen consoles. While they'll certainly be more powerful than current gen consoles, they'll still be several generations behind top-end PC hardware. Hopefully they'll have a lot more memory so we don't have to look at low-res textures all the time.

Really? I'll I've seen is rumors, does anyone really have a solid estimate of what or what not a next-gen system will do? From the rumors it would be able to 60 fps in many games with no sweat. But once again, rumors.

Now perhaps you have more insider info, I dunno.

Well, it all depends, right? You can build a time machine, go to 2027, bring back the fastest computer, and I can still write software today that it can't run at more than 30fps.

There is a trade-off between frames and graphics quality. Just because something runs at 30fps doesn't mean it's because the hardware is weak.

It's not about power, it's about how developers are prioritizing that power. If they're choosing high graphics fidelity and lots of crap going on it'll be 30fps. It isn't like there's some magic machine that can run anything you throw at it at 60fps. It's about developers deciding that they want to go at that frame rate and seeing how much crap it takes to get it pushed down there.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 20, 2012, 10:07 HorrorScope

Many people are seriously overestimating the power of next-gen consoles. While they'll certainly be more powerful than current gen consoles, they'll still be several generations behind top-end PC hardware. Hopefully they'll have a lot more memory so we don't have to look at low-res textures all the time.

Really? I'll I've seen is rumors, does anyone really have a solid estimate of what or what not a next-gen system will do? From the rumors it would be able to 60 fps in many games with no sweat. But once again, rumors.

Now perhaps you have more insider info, I dunno.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 09:57 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 09:07:
No, they are several generations behind and many developers have complained the specs on the new consoles don't go nearly far enough. They're being designed less as gaming machines and more as social entertainment centers. This could be good for PC gaming.

Since Wnblowz8 is going that direction with Windows Live logons to the desktop, and Metro Apps geared more for cloud / social crap... consoles holding back can't be all that good, IMO.

Except for the indie games, that understand the PC, I guess.

At least XBox 720 should have DX11.x, so that will be a step forward for the shit-ass console ports. Which is probably why we're finally seeing more games on the PC with DX 11... I bet Far Cry 3, and other recent DX11 supported games will be launch titles for the new XBox.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 09:55 dj LiTh

This next generation is definitely the last generation. Death of the console is at hand, the end is nie, repent your controllers and be welcomed into the glory of the bredren of the mouse (no not that mouse)!  

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 09:07 Cutter

No, they are several generations behind and many developers have complained the specs on the new consoles don't go nearly far enough. They're being designed less as gaming machines and more as social entertainment centers. This could be good for PC gaming.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 05:03 Fibrocyte

I very much doubt they will be several generations behind the current-gen PC hardware. That's absurd. Possibly one generation behind to ensure they're working with hardware that has been proven out, but not 'several' generations.

Also, current-gen consoles still look quite good if you take off your PC-gaming-snob glasses. The next-gen consoles will do nothing but vastly improve what we have today.

Keep in mind that the Xbox360 was released in *2005* and the PS3 in *2006*.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 03:58 Jerykk

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 01:24 MajorD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:33:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 23:28:
720p?

even on next gen hardware, I thought they were going after 1080p res.

Hah no. Consoles holding consoles back, in turn holding back PC gaming.

Yeah, unfortunately that pretty much sums it up. Wall2

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 20, 2012, 00:33 Mashiki Amiketo

DangerDog wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 23:28:
720p?

Hah no. Consoles holding consoles back, in turn holding back PC gaming.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 19, 2012, 23:28 DangerDog

720p?

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 19, 2012, 22:25 jacobvandy

Sure, but keeping it at 30 fps will help them be able to actually render at HD resolution. There's your next-gen; no more (or probably just less) up-scaling!  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 19, 2012, 22:13 Wallshadows

Next-gen and 30 fps in the same sentence feels a little contradictory.

Then again, consoles...

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo