Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Stops Selling The War Z

Kotaku has word that The War Z is no longer sold on Steam just days after the zombie survival game was added to some outcry (thanks nin). They have a statement from the game's developer: "We're making sure that our Store page is 100% correct this is why," Sergey Titov tells them. "Bottom line – our end goal is to have satisfied and not angry customers, so this is more important for us than everything else." Here is the explanation they received from Valve:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Jan 4, 2013, 23:05 KilrathiAce

Overon wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 20:12:
What shocks me is that this exposes a steam quality control problem. It casts a shadow of doubt on the veracity of what is written on steam game pages.

Actual developer has access to edit the store page, but with this benefit for the developer comes also responsibility, if they write incorrect information its same as if they wrote incorrect information in game, its their responsibility. Valve used to baby sit all this but that caused developer cry that they cant update fast enough so now they have what they wanted but they also have to check to make sure they dont make a mistake themselves.

As for mistakes with sales that can happen especially when there are so many sales going on on steam every day. Valve offers support site where you can always inquire about refunds.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 09:04 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 07:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 04:59:

Then I look fotrward to (as I am sure you will) our password protected server for BN when it is avail. We will have fun.

I actually may try it out if you guys get one going. Playing with people you can (sort of) trust makes a big difference.

I'll pay $10 for Prez hide armor! I hear it's Snuggly!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

67. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 07:08 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 04:59:

Then I look fotrward to (as I am sure you will) our password protected server for BN when it is avail. We will have fun.

I actually may try it out if you guys get one going. Playing with people you can (sort of) trust makes a big difference.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

66. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 04:41:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 02:01:
Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 23:35:
Thanks for the history JacobV and Major D (That sounds like a kick-ass name for a hip-hop group!). It certainly stands to reason that someone who would claim that people who are upset that 100km2 maps are actually around 50km2 and 100-player servers max out at 50 players are "misreading" has definite problems with honesty, so I admit it's pretty hard to lend any credence to his claim.

They go up to 100. I have been on servers with 90+. You dont' want that many, to many people looking to killl you. I have had more fun on servers with less than 20...

Fair enough. At the time he made the video at least, Total Biscuit verified that the max server number was 50. More concerning to me, however, was the answer that Titov gave in response to the questions about why the store page did not reflect the current realities of the game in the interviews was... "strange" I guess is the right word.

At any rate, if I was to play the game at some point (or its "inspiration" DayZ) I'd prefer to play on a server with a max population of one. I don't like playing games with people, especially considering how as soon as you have they something they don't they'll just kill you and take it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

65. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 04:41 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 02:01:
Thanks for the history JacobV and Major D (That sounds like a kick-ass name for a hip-hop group!). It certainly stands to reason that someone who would claim that people who are upset that 100km2 maps are actually around 50km2 and 100-player servers max out at 50 players are "misreading" has definite problems with honesty, so I admit it's pretty hard to lend any credence to his claim.

They go up to 100. I have been on servers with 90+. You dont' want that many, to many people looking to killl you. I have had more fun on servers with less than 20...

Fair enough. At the time he made the video at least, Total Biscuit verified that the max server number was 50. More concerning to me, however, was the answer that Titov gave in response to the questions about why the store page did not reflect the current realities of the game in the interviews was... "strange" I guess is the right word.

At any rate, if I was to play the game at some point (or its "inspiration" DayZ) I'd prefer to play on a server with a max population of one. I don't like playing games with people, especially considering how as soon as you have they something they don't they'll just kill you and take it.

64. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 02:01 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

63. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 02:00 xXBatmanXx

Dades wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 23:24:
Judging by the volume of complaints about bugs in War Z and its much smaller scale, I think I'd rather get Day Z if I was going to choose between them.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

A lot of the bugs are from older versions I am finding.....most of the stuff people bitch about isn't even present in the game....

62. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 00:41 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 00:26:
Losing loot you paid real money for upon death will get expensive quick, more expensive then I am comfortable with in this type of game.

I don't buy anything in any game. But I'm not really out much if I lose $13 on a game I play for more than 4 hours.

61. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 20, 2012, 00:26 Jivaro

I guess this makes me an idealist, but after reading the Gamespy interview and seeing the exec producer's cavalier attitude regarding deceiving the customer base, I can't see myself giving them money. They could take the whole game back to the drawing board, come back months from now with a much better product...and that slimy used-car salesman stink is still gonna bug me.

I get it, the genre is fun for some and I am not judging them for wanting to enjoy the game for what it is. I just don't want to knowingly support that type of business. The decision is made easier by the way the in-game store works. Losing loot you paid real money for upon death will get expensive quick, more expensive then I am comfortable with in this type of game.

60. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 23:35 Prez

59. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 23:25 MajorD

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 22:13:
... It's nothing more than a cheap knock-off....

There is probably no way of verifying either way, but Titov claims the War Z was in development already by the time the DayZ alpha released. Of course, given how they weren't too worried about honesty in what was reflected on the Steam store page, I know I am less inclined to believe Titov.

When WarZ was announced here on Blue's News, I was very skeptical when Sergey said the game had already been in development before DayZ, blah, blah, blah….They used the name “WarZ” to capture the attention of the DayZ fan base, and it all just smelled. I could be wrong, but without reading about what we know now, and only what I knew then, it was clear the timing and lack of anything substantial to show at the time was just all off. When it was first announced here on Blue’s there was little to be found, but I did a little digging and connected the dots from WarZ to Hammerpoint Interactive and Arktos Entertainment group, and then War Inc. All they had at this point was supposed in-game screen shots, marketing verbiage, but NO gameplay videos, so I have to hand it to their marketing group; they did a damn good job marketing/selling the whole thing. At the time it seemed obvious, and especially now, that while their marketing group was busy with heavily marketing the game, the coders/mappers/developers/etc. were busy behind the scenes secretly and feverishly banging away at building the game on the War Inc. engine to get it to beta ASAP so it wouldn’t look like they just came up with the idea following Rocket’s success with DayZ.

This was pretty much confirmed once the WarZ beta was released, as they didn’t have much of anything, as the map wasn’t complete, loot spawns weren’t completely put in place, bugs and glitches left and right, etc. But, as they suckered more and more people into their ‘cash grab’, they were able to keep going and continuously grow the ‘first map’ (which they are still working on and adding to), finish adding the safe zones, weeding out the bugs, and more UI options, add more detail to the map, etc, etc, etc.

The bottom line is that they jumped on an idea of quickly marketing/selling an idea based on the success of Rocket’s DayZ, but their continuous deceit and lies on top of lies weaved a big ol’ web that they are now having trouble breaking free from……

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2012, 01:04.

58. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 23:24 Dades

Judging by the volume of complaints about bugs in War Z and its much smaller scale, I think I'd rather get Day Z if I was going to choose between them.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

57. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:47 jacobvandy

I can understand not wanting to buy ARMA 2: CO for the DayZ mod at this time. I actually wouldn't recommend that to anybody with the standalone right around the corner. The controls are hardly esoteric, however. WASD for movement, you can lean, crouch, prone, roll on the ground if you press lean while prone, turn your head to look around independent of the direction your legs are moving... These are real PC game controls. You would probably have to look up the bindings for certain things as you're learning how to play, but that's all. Well, and get used to using the MMB/mouse wheel as your primary way of interacting with things or performing actions. Still, though, I've never understood that argument against DayZ or ARMA 2 in general. Bugs/glitches I can see, as there are definitely those, but the game is so good that they literally do not bother me. And I've been killed by trees before!

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2012, 23:09.

56. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:39 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 22:01:
"More playable DayZ?" Please... It's nothing more than a cheap knock-off. It takes more than tossing zombies and rudimentary survival elements into your shitty F2P/P2W MMOFPS (War Inc.) to capture the essence of the most popular PC game mod since Counter-Strike. If you manage to enjoy playing The War Z, that's fine, whatever floats your boat... But don't delude yourself.

I haven't played either game but I've watched videos on both. DayZ is a mod that I would have to setup and install for a game that I don't own yet and don't really want. DayZ also appears to have strange esoteric controls that come from ARMA's simulation genre. I know the story here is false advertising and DayZ rip off but I'm just commenting on the gameplay. Looks like something I'd like to try and it doesn't have the apparent hassle of DayZ... Thus my bit you have quoted there.

55. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:37 jacobvandy

Lol, yeah, a scam artist lying about his product, it's unbelievable, right? There has been so much evidence gathered (such as what nin posted, here is the raw data on that), that there is no question whatsoever that The War Z, the glorified total conversion mod, did not exist until DayZ exploded in popularity earlier this year.

The most damning piece of that was ol' Sergey himself asking fans (lol) of The War Inc. on the game's forum whether a zombie survival game would interest them, in like April or May. He stated himself, that it was something he was THINKING about doing at that time. Of course, as soon as somebody brought that against him, all traces of that and subsequent public discussion on the subject was erased. Now they insist it had been in the works for a year before that, before the first version of DayZ was released.

Another thing -- domain name TheWarZ.com, official site using game's official name, was registered May 24th, 2012. You can explain a site not actually launching until then, but don't you think you'd snatch up the domain for the name of your game before you even start developing it?

54. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:23 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 22:13:

There is probably no way of verifying either way, but Titov claims the War Z was in development already by the time the DayZ alpha released. Of course, given how they weren't too worried about honesty in what was reflected on the Steam store page, I know I am less inclined to believe Titov.

It also uses assets from his previous game.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

53. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:13 Prez

52. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 22:01 jacobvandy

"More playable DayZ?" Please... It's nothing more than a cheap knock-off. It takes more than tossing zombies and rudimentary survival elements into your shitty F2P/P2W MMOFPS (War Inc.) to capture the essence of the most popular PC game mod since Counter-Strike. If you manage to enjoy playing The War Z, that's fine, whatever floats your boat... But don't delude yourself.  

51. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 21:38 Mordecai Walfish

Final nails: meet coffin. This one is stone dead.  

50. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 21:34 Sepharo

Damn, I knew I should have picked this up last night. Especially after reading Batman's experience with it being a more playable DayZ, that's what I was getting from Biscuit's video too when I tuned out his bitching.  

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo