Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Stops Selling The War Z

Kotaku has word that The War Z is no longer sold on Steam just days after the zombie survival game was added to some outcry (thanks nin). They have a statement from the game's developer: "We're making sure that our Store page is 100% correct this is why," Sergey Titov tells them. "Bottom line our end goal is to have satisfied and not angry customers, so this is more important for us than everything else." Here is the explanation they received from Valve:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:34 Creston

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:35:
Yep. They've not been a bad place to get refunds from, but I can't remember them having announced them other than one instance for a game I forgot.

Creston

The game was From Dust.

You are correct. Thanks

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:24 xXBatmanXx

Overon wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 20:12:
What shocks me is that this exposes a steam quality control problem. It casts a shadow of doubt on the veracity of what is written on steam game pages.

Well, I don't see $15 for a game as a waste. If it was $30-$60, I would probably have asked for a refund, but I am not a fan of asking for refunds. There are PLENTY of resources out there to find out what a game is like before hitting PURCHASE. To be honest, I NEVER read that stuff. I watch videos, look at screens, then go watch a gameplay vid on youtube, etc. Everything is buyer beware.....

oh well. Enjoying it. 3 hours in. Have done probably 10 characters. Have 2 I am waiting to respawn that have almost 100xp each. Haven't done a respawn yet, we will see how that goes.

Starting to figure things out - so each life I last a little longer, sometimes just lucky and sometimes really UNLUCKY.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:21 Dev

Overon wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 20:12:
What shocks me is that this exposes a steam quality control problem. It casts a shadow of doubt on the veracity of what is written on steam game pages.
It shouldn't be surprising. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, its just more of the same thing we saw during the initial greenlight entries.

In fact, the ENTIRE reason valve setup greenlight was to avoid the uninteresting vetting work to get things on steam. They said as much in the press releases about it.

Reading and verifying steam entries is NOT interesting work. Its NOT something ppl at valve will be wanting to do. So guess what? It doesn't get done.

46. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:12 Overon

45. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 20:01 born2expire

Yeah I played the alpha fair bit, fun game but gets boring fast. Much better than DayZ IMO, Arma is soooo clunky.  

44. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:39 xXBatmanXx

eh, either way I don't care. Got it for 12.00. It is what it is. I didn't expect anything special - just happy it works 100x better performance than DayZ. Looks like they update the game almost everyday.

When standalone DayZ comes out - i will get that as well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

43. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:36 Dev

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:05:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:33:
This story just gets weirder... I mean, I am not even sure this is true or if it is just "piling on"...but still...wow...
It would be easy enough to see if its true. Someone with the game, start it up and see if the image is whats shown in that story. If it is, then its plagiarism.
It isn't true.

That is the loading screen.

According to the article, it isn't the loading screen that has the issue. It was their promo screen (being the top picture of War Z and their tag line "The Infestation Begins This Fall")
Which seems to be correct, here's an article from October with that screen:
http://mmoattack.com/mmo-news/countdown-begins-war-closed-beta

Now it wouldn't surprise me if the devs did that... but it ALSO wouldn't surprise me if whatever cut rate firm they hired for marketing took shortcuts in doing that promo screen. But regardless of if it was the devs themselves, that doesn't excuse anything else in this debacle.

42. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:33 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 19:23:
It isn't true.

Is that also the title screen?

And does anyone know if its changed recently?

THere isn't a title screen, you go right into your characters screen.

I like the game, it is fun. It works (unlike DayZ) and it isn't on Arma's crappy engine.

When the server rentals come out, I will be getting one to share here, but it will be limited, as I am not a fan of the bandit killing. I would rather play with friends and explore, etc. I am tired of just finding something and having someone come along and shoot me in the head for no reason. There needs to be an indication that they aren't friendly....so I can kill them first.

41. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:26 SpectralMeat

Good job on free publicity/advertising of this game from Kotaku. Ones this is back on Steam it will be a best seller  

Steam: SpectralMeat

40. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:26 Kitkoan

This story just gets weirder... I mean, I am not even sure this is true or if it is just "piling on"...but still...wow...
It would be easy enough to see if its true. Someone with the game, start it up and see if the image is whats shown in that story. If it is, then its plagiarism.
It isn't true.

According to the article, it isn't the loading screen that has the issue. It was their promo screen (being the top picture of War Z and their tag line "The Infestation Begins This Fall")

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

39. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:23 Dev

It isn't true.

Is that also the title screen?

And does anyone know if its changed recently?

38. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:05 xXBatmanXx

It isn't true.

37. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:05 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:35:
Yep. They've not been a bad place to get refunds from, but I can't remember them having announced them other than one instance for a game I forgot.

Creston

The game was From Dust.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

36. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 19:05 Dev

35. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:40 jacobvandy

Good riddance. I hope it never comes back.  

34. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:20 xXBatmanXx

Frijoles wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 18:15:
Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:25:
but if you can tolerate the slow plodding pace and the technical shortcomings (like the awful animations and performance) it may end up being something you can enjoy... once they properly finish it.

Don't forget the micro-transactions. I'm sorry, but forcing me to pay MORE just to rez.. yeah. They can fuck off. The game looked interesting. Now I hope it and the developer just go away.

You can have 5 characters, and delete them if you want and start over. No wait.

33. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:17 nin

It's funny how he seems to have changed his tune now that Valve has taken action. Before it was the haters' and the fanboys' fault. He seems to be singing a different (and decidedly less douchey) tune now, which is good.

What's he saying now?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:15 Frijoles

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 17:25:
but if you can tolerate the slow plodding pace and the technical shortcomings (like the awful animations and performance) it may end up being something you can enjoy... once they properly finish it.

Don't forget the micro-transactions. I'm sorry, but forcing me to pay MORE just to rez.. yeah. They can fuck off. The game looked interesting. Now I hope it and the developer just go away.

31. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:11 Wallshadows

I am sure there is a way to salvage the game itself but at this point, there is no way in hell I would even think about dropping cash on this title due to all the bad publicity and asshatery coming from camp Hammerpoint.

For me, the damage is done and it's not even a blip on my radar even if it turned out to be ten times the game which DayZ is.

30. Re: Steam Stops Selling The War Z Dec 19, 2012, 18:09 DangerDog

That's pretty funny, they thought they could pull one over on the internet?

Hopefully this won't tarnish DayZ when it makes it to stand alone release.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo