Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gas Powered Countdown

The Gas Powered Games Website now features a countdown ticking off 26+ days to something, presumably a game announcement. The page's URL indicates this is referred to as "Project W," and the timer is accompanied by the following tease: "Ready for Something Wild? Be the first to see the next big thing from the designer of Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege, Supreme Commander, and the team at Gas Powered Games." Thanks VG247.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 20, 2012, 23:21 Pivo

Yea gpg still owns the rights to Demigod i believe. Hoping its not a dota clone...Playd enough of that, fun but no where near the level of strategy, epicness & fun involved with a supcom type RTS...It would be awesome if GPG makes both Kingsdoms & Castles along with a new TA/Supcom IP! Maybe Microsoft paid them a nice chunk to make AOE...And we are also getting Planetary Annihilation this summer!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 20, 2012, 05:01 eRe4s3r

They don't own the rights to that.. or do they?  

20. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 20, 2012, 04:46 Prez

I'll guess Demigod 2 considering that lately it seems everyone and their grandma is making MOBA/DoTA clones.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 20, 2012, 02:16 Pivo

Any idea what everyone thinks this might be? Cant be another supcom bc rights are sold to Square/Enix..Also dont think it can be the Kings & castles RTS either bc then it wouldnt be a new announcement or project...Ive been itching for a new RTS game along the lines of TA & supcom...No other RTS has felt as epic as those two, nothing. Supcom2 was a flop & they ruined the epic feel of the original & took away its soul to make it more like Starcraft & C&C..We all loved TA & supcom bc it was not like Starcraft or any other RTS out there!! .
Anyways from the trailer of PA RTS gaming is def evolving & that is why I loved supcom so much...It finally looked like the RTS genre was evolving with the zoom function nassive scale & giant maps.. Now with PA the thought of having massive wars on multiple planets is def the next step supcom & will def give a totally new experience in the RTS field.. **CROSSING MY FINGERS** that its an RTS game! Hoping for a true Supcom sequel, GPG can now build it with how much technology has advanced!

18. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 20, 2012, 00:03 mag

jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 14:44:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 14:15:

I didn't say I hate SC2 I own it and put quiet a few hours into it, I just prefer SC1 because of how tough it was compared to SC1 and also it was a lot larger (maps, #of units, etc)
I do play some SC2 also when I am tired and don't feel like launching into an epic fight against the AI but I still prefer SC1 over SC2.
I think there's been talks about SC3 a while back but then everything went silent so I am really hoping they will learn from their mistakes and bring an awesome SC game out.
Also ditch the console versions, noone wants to play strategy games on the consoles. Just focus on the PC!

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically, just in general. Often when this game is brought up, people are down on it, which I don't really get. Probably for the reasons I mentioned, but I like having the option betw complex SC1 and streamlined SC2. Just wondering if there are other reasons out there.

I rather hate SC2. I admit it. Mostly because they turned it into a crappy version of every other RTS out there.

Two things really set SC apart from most other RTS games: The scope and scale of the game, and the economy. Both were put more in line with the standard for SC2. If you try to do the economy in SC2 the way you do in SC, no buildings will ever get built. Only units will. It requires you to micromanage every little thing so that when you want to build something, you have exactly enough resources available.

Those are my main gripes. There are lots of other ones like the lack of fuel, the forever-hovering aircraft, the broken ferry system, the weaksauce experimentals, etc. etc.

The upgrade system's cool, though.

Edit: Basically, it left SC's promise unfulfilled. Supreme Commander was hamstrung by some bugs, some balance issues, some performance issues. It had so much promise. And they fixed a lot of that with SC2, especially with the improved pathfinding. But SC is the game that really needed those improvements, since it was the large scale one.

17. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 22:45 Prez

Come on Supreme Commander 3 - Non-Accessible Version!!

I really liked Supreme Commander 2, though I get the "dumbed down" complaint because the economy and production was extremely simplistic and cookie cutter in 2 as compared to Supreme Commander. I liked how maintaining a working in economy in SC required real attention and effort. SC2 suffered in my opinion because it abandoned the complex economy.

Taylor says he did that to garner more sales by making the game more accessible to a larger audience because the original only saw mediocre success. I think that was a mistake because in my opinion the first one was most hurt by the technology - it absolutely required a multi-core processor at a time when dual core was only just starting to gain some traction in the market-place. Even as streamlined as it was SC2 was still too complex for the more casual RTS player who is used to Age of Empires and Command and Conquer. The fact that he got it running on consoles at all was a minor miracle, but I doubt the effort paid off given the console market's penchant for simpler games.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 14:44 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 14:15:

I didn't say I hate SC2 I own it and put quiet a few hours into it, I just prefer SC1 because of how tough it was compared to SC1 and also it was a lot larger (maps, #of units, etc)
I do play some SC2 also when I am tired and don't feel like launching into an epic fight against the AI but I still prefer SC1 over SC2.
I think there's been talks about SC3 a while back but then everything went silent so I am really hoping they will learn from their mistakes and bring an awesome SC game out.
Also ditch the console versions, noone wants to play strategy games on the consoles. Just focus on the PC!

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically, just in general. Often when this game is brought up, people are down on it, which I don't really get. Probably for the reasons I mentioned, but I like having the option betw complex SC1 and streamlined SC2. Just wondering if there are other reasons out there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 14:29 swaaye

I'd like to see that Kings and Castles work out.

SupCom seems like it has run its course for now IMO. Go get Forged Alliance Forever and check out some of the mods if you need more fix of that.

14. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 14:15 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 14:09:
I really don't get the hate against SC2. I own both, and while different, both are good. I've played both well over 100 hours each. I like the midrange experimental units, and the streamlined research tree. Yes, there are less units and thus fewer strategies, but there are days where I just don't have time/energy to play SC 1. Also, I can play SC 2 with my 10 year old, where she struggles a bit more with SC 1's complexity. I'm glad they didn't just make a prettier SC 1.

All that being said, I've got a hankering for a new epic RTS, something complex where you can even design your own units. So here's hoping for SupCom3!

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 14:09 jdreyer

I really don't get the hate against SC2. I own both, and while different, both are good. I've played both well over 100 hours each. I like the midrange experimental units, and the streamlined research tree. Yes, there are less units and thus fewer strategies, but there are days where I just don't have time/energy to play SC 1. Also, I can play SC 2 with my 10 year old, where she struggles a bit more with SC 1's complexity. I'm glad they didn't just make a prettier SC 1.

All that being said, I've got a hankering for a new epic RTS, something complex where you can even design your own units. So here's hoping for SupCom3!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 13:44 SpectralMeat

I hope it is another Supreme Commander which will be PC exclusive and a lot more like SC1 was. I loved that game and still play it every now and then against the AI  

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 13:43 Darks

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:36:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:34:
Why doesn't GPG ever mention Demigod in those "from the makers of..." lists, I wonder?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I guess they want to forget about that in a hurry...

Creston

That would be because GPG dosent own DemiGod. they were only contracted to make it for Stardock.

And GPG is not shut down, they worked on Age of Empire online for Microsoft for a while, but are now back to making PC games again.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 13:25 eRe4s3r

Exactly, I was under the impression they sold everything they had? So how could possible make a TA game

In fact, I was under the obviously false impression they had closed shop

9. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 DangerDog

Frijoles wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 12:20:
Hope it's another TA. I really want a base building RTS. There's right around zero these days.

planetary annihilation is the next unofficial TA game

8. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 12:20 Frijoles

Hope it's another TA. I really want a base building RTS. There's right around zero these days.  

7. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:49 deadearth

Whatever happened to that Gods and Kings game that shut down after pre production. That was kinda weird...  

6. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:44 Keith

I actually liked Demigod. Admittedly it didn't evolve into what it was hoped to be, but it was still a fun romp when playing against the AI. What is more concerning to me is the transition from Supreme Commander to Supreme Commander 2. SC 1 captured the essence of Total Annihilation, in my opinion, where SC 2 was like a post-Thanksgiving turd. Glad is came out, but really just wanted to flush and forget it.  

5. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 Creston

Wolfox wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:34:
Why doesn't GPG ever mention Demigod in those "from the makers of..." lists, I wonder?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I guess they want to forget about that in a hurry...

Creston

4. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

These guys have been radio silent for so long since the Demigod debacle, I was wondering if they were still around, especially since they sold all their previous IP off to Square Enix a while back. I'll be interested to see what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Kickstarter either.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

3. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:34 Wolfox

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo