Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is day four of our FiOS adventure, which is a bit of a circus. One of our phone numbers is still not working, and I have gotten to experience the startling intricacies of Verizon technical support, where no one seems to actually know what's going on, and there is a complete lack of accountability and follow-up that leads everyone I speak with to attempt to get off the phone with me so it becomes someone else's problem. Every time I am promised they will call back. Every time it's a lie. This morning I got a robo call from them explaining how they have fixed my problem, which is not even remotely accurate. If it sounds like I'm losing patience with this, then I am successfully communicating my internal state, and at some point today this will probably lead to me threatening them with a demand that they come and remove all their expensive equipment, since I think having this residence hooked into the network long-term is the only thing that really motivates them in this situation.

Irate Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Shadez 3: The Moon Miners.
Links: 11 Amazing Facts about the McDonald's McRib. Thanks Cutter.
'Twas The Night Before Scotchmas: A Holiday Guide To Giftable Single Malts.
Stories: 'Game of Thrones' gets super-sized season 3.
Science: Potentially Habitable Planet Detected Around Nearby Star.
Trained Dog Can Detect Superbug with Amazing Accuracy. Thanks nin.
Media: The Glitch. And Behind the Scenes: The Glitch.
Holy COW!!!!
Dad Piggies.
Sneaky pedestrian.
Follow-up: New Plinkett review up now!! Titanic.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 PHJF

In other news, Don't Starve is really fun (being the Terraria vet I am) and if the rate of new content remains as steady as it has been recently, it's going to be a kickass final product in March. There really isn't a ton of content in it right now but what is there is great fun wrapped in fantastic production quality. The dev is really proactive and communicative.

And I'm looking for novels to read. I just finished The Passage, which was OK at best (being a sort of Stephen King pop novel but without his level of quality). I also just read Rainbows End and A Fire Upon the Deep. Can anyone comment on the quality of the followup novel(s) to AFUtD? I'm going to read Point Counter Point right now but I like to keep scifi books in the rotation.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:51 1badmf

Dipswitch wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:20:
I signed up specifically to echo this statement. The product is fine once setup, but woe betide you if you ever have to deal with support or billing staff.

My initial install experience was so farcical that I ended up emailing one of the regional supervisors who had negotiated the carriage contract with my town. I essentially told him that never in all of my days had I experienced customer service as woeful as I had through Verizon (Which was absolutely true), despite the installation staff being absolutely top notch and professional throughout.

He sorted out my issue quick smart, but the fact that I had to spend months getting lied to by terrible level one CSR's left me with a bad taste in my mouth to this day.

level 1 CSRs... ughh, gives me the willies just thinking about those fuckers. on my old DSL service, everytime i had a problem, before we could get anywhere, they'd make me powercycle the modem, plug it into a different phone jack, and a different power outlet first. then when i was finally allowed to actually state the nature of my problem, there'd be a moment of silence before the idiot realized he knew less about DSL and networks than i did and actually transfer me to a technician.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:45 mch

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:39:

Oh, my bad. And yeah, the third book was split in two, and not really a whole lot happens in the first one (it's mostly setting stuff up for the second book). Then again, just about nothing happens at all in books 4 and 5, so this will likely be the last good season of the TV show anyway.

Creston

Hmmm. I'm reading through them now and the third book was just one book for me. The fourth book (weakest of them all so far I thought, I just started book five), was focused on only half of the characters, with book five picking up at the end of book five for the characters that were left out of book four. So that one was split in my opinion. Someone said it was different in the UK/other territories?

Anyway I agree, the third book should make for a solid season(s).

PSN: CaseDesignate

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:44 Beamer

KilgoreTrout wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:32:
Which is why I try to get my sausage from butchers I know use non-gross meat.

If you cannot tell, it's not gross anymore. The grossness only exists in your brain. It's not embedded in the proteins. As you quoted, there's nothing wrong with the meat (it's just that we have grown unaccustomed to eating it).

It's a relatively new luxury and a signal of our wealth that we can afford to not eat some edible parts of the animals we slaughter. Imagine that 200 years ago. I think it's great if you can process those parts into tasty stuff, as long as you don't need to add too many potentially harmful chemicals along the way.

If something

1) Tastes good
2) Looks good
3) Is nutritious
4) Does not contain harmful substances

...it fills all the requirements for happy eating, and it doesn't (shouldn't) really matter if it's made out of rats, insects, jellyfish or slightly darker meat than usual.

We have that luxury today and, given that it's available, I seek it out.

I won't eat hot dogs. I understand that offal is usually used to add fat to ground beef, but other than that I will typically only eat what I can readily identify.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:44 Cutter

I like the part they mention it has 70 ingredients of which one is a foam bleach - the same product using in making rubber yoga mats. Yummy!

And for the record, I don't have a problem with tripe, tongue, etc. I've done nose to tail with most animals. In fact, we used to have tongue and cabbage - or other organ meats fairly regularly. Most of my relatives grew up in the bush doing the hunter/gatherer thing so they couldn't afford to be choosy or wasteful. And tripe is still pretty common all over the world. Hell in parts of Europe and Asia, it's standard street food fare. I also like tougher cuts of meat for braised dishes because they're far tastier than tender cuts - and much cheaper to boot too.

All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking

All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art

I can't speak highly enough of these books!

Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Time-Honored Ways are the Best

Probably the single best book on all things cooking related from smoking, to preserving, et al.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:39 Creston

mch wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:35:
Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:15:
Not sure that I like a super-sized season 3 for GoT. Fitting a book into a 13 episode season makes things move along, which is really the biggest problem with the whole Fire and Ice saga anyway...So making more episodes, eh. That'll just be more episodes where nothing happens... We could also call this the "Peter Jackson's the Hobbit" corrolary.

Creston

What I took from the article is that "super sizing" the season was ... extending the average run time of the episodes from 52 to ~56 minutes. There's still only going to be ten (not 13) episodes. However, the third book will be split into two seasons - your complaint still valid on that one - but that was always the plan.

Oh, my bad. And yeah, the third book was split in two, and not really a whole lot happens in the first one (it's mostly setting stuff up for the second book). Then again, just about nothing happens at all in books 4 and 5, so this will likely be the last good season of the TV show anyway.

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:35 mch

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:15:
Not sure that I like a super-sized season 3 for GoT. Fitting a book into a 13 episode season makes things move along, which is really the biggest problem with the whole Fire and Ice saga anyway...So making more episodes, eh. That'll just be more episodes where nothing happens... We could also call this the "Peter Jackson's the Hobbit" corrolary.

Creston

What I took from the article is that "super sizing" the season was ... extending the average run time of the episodes from 52 to ~56 minutes. There's still only going to be ten (not 13) episodes. However, the third book will be split into two seasons - your complaint still valid on that one - but that was always the plan.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:32 KilgoreTrout

If you cannot tell, it's not gross anymore. The grossness only exists in your brain. It's not embedded in the proteins. As you quoted, there's nothing wrong with the meat (it's just that we have grown unaccustomed to eating it).

It's a relatively new luxury and a signal of our wealth that we can afford to not eat some edible parts of the animals we slaughter. Imagine that 200 years ago. I think it's great if you can process those parts into tasty stuff, as long as you don't need to add too many potentially harmful chemicals along the way.

If something

1) Tastes good
2) Looks good
3) Is nutritious
4) Does not contain harmful substances

...it fills all the requirements for happy eating, and it doesn't (shouldn't) really matter if it's made out of rats, insects, jellyfish or slightly darker meat than usual.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 Dipswitch

I signed up specifically to echo this statement. The product is fine once setup, but woe betide you if you ever have to deal with support or billing staff.

My initial install experience was so farcical that I ended up emailing one of the regional supervisors who had negotiated the carriage contract with my town. I essentially told him that never in all of my days had I experienced customer service as woeful as I had through Verizon (Which was absolutely true), despite the installation staff being absolutely top notch and professional throughout.

He sorted out my issue quick smart, but the fact that I had to spend months getting lied to by terrible level one CSR's left me with a bad taste in my mouth to this day.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:17 Creston

LesCaster wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:54:
As a business decision, I don't get the mentality that says it is better to lose a customer than it is to reduce you price to keep that customer.

They're hoping you're bluffing.

If you ever get into this situation with DirecTV, ask to be transferred to Retention. Once you tell those guys to come get their shit off your house, suddenly doors open and you get hundreds of dollars of free service and discounts.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 Creston

Hmm, I'd heard the FIOS support guys were actually quite capable, but I guess not. Good old corporate support structure...

Not sure that I like a super-sized season 3 for GoT. Fitting a book into a 13 episode season makes things move along, which is really the biggest problem with the whole Fire and Ice saga anyway. It takes for fucking EVER to get anything to happen. Martin struggles mightily to take over the "For fuck's sake, will you just fucking GET THERE ALREADY?!!" crown from Robert Jordan.

So making more episodes, eh. That'll just be more episodes where nothing happens... We could also call this the "Peter Jackson's the Hobbit" corrolary.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:58 mch

InBlack wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:55:
mch wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:45:
Are they still splitting book 3 into two seasons? Think I remember hearing that but not sure I ever saw any confirmation.

Yes they are. BTW the UK edition of the novel itself was split into two books. (Fucking greedy if you ask me)

Hmmm. If I remember correctly the biggest events happened towards the end of the book (NO SPOILERS). Wonder if they'll re-arrange the order (since things are often happening at the same time).

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:58 Beamer

nin wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:02:

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

Oh, that sounds so delicious.

Good luck, Blue. Rip em a new one!

That's also not true. Good fact checking by Yahoo! on that one. It's pork shoulder, not tripe and heart.
Still not edible, but not as gross.

Also, full quote:
"Most people would be extremely unhappy if they were served heart or tongue on a plate," he observed. "But flaked into a restructured product it loses its identity. Such products as tripe, heart, and scalded stomachs are high in protein, completely edible, wholesome, and nutritious, and most are already used in sausage without objection." Pork patties could be shaped into any form and marketed in restaurants or for airlines, solving a secondary problem of irregular portion size of cuts such as pork chops. In 1981 McDonald's introduced a boneless pork sandwich of chunked and formed meat called the McRib, developed in part through check-off funds [micro-donations from pork producers] from the NPPC [National Pork Producers Council]. It was not as popular as the McNugget, introduced in 1983, would be, even though both products were composed of unmarketable parts of the animal (skin and dark meat in the McNugget). The McNugget, however, benefited from positive consumer associations with chicken, even though it had none of the "healthy" attributes people associated with poultry.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:55 InBlack

mch wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:45:
Are they still splitting book 3 into two seasons? Think I remember hearing that but not sure I ever saw any confirmation.

Yes they are. BTW the UK edition of the novel itself was split into two books. (Fucking greedy if you ask me)

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:54 LesCaster

I am switching back to Cablevision next week due to the expiration of my 2 year intro contract with Verizon. I was quite happy with the quality of their service, but my bill suddenly jumping up by around $50 a month is enough to get me to switch providers. I even gave Verizon the opportunity to adjust my terms to something more favorable in order to stay on, something other providers have been willing to do in the past. Best they would do is offer a $10 discount so it's goodbye Verizon.

As a business decision, I don't get the mentality that says it is better to lose a customer than it is to reduce you price to keep that customer.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:45 mch

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:42 nin

I can't wait to watch S2 on disc...think it's out in Feb.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:34 InBlack

Super excited about Season3 of Game of Thrones. Im a big fan of the books and even though the second season did things in its own way, it works and its great! Cant wait! Yay!  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:14 LurkerLito

Welcome to Verizon. Their service is great, but their support (billing or technical) are horrible a good portion of the time. I swear they have only a handful of useful competent people who work there, everyone else, you might as well have not called. Unfortunately getting a competent support person who will do everything properly for you is like playing roulette, round and round she goes who you get no one knows.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 nin

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

Oh, that sounds so delicious.

Good luck, Blue. Rip em a new one!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo