Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 13:42 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 13:36:
CALLED IT!

http://kotaku.com/5969836/the-war-z-removed-from-steam

Confirmed in steam, no purchase button.

Dun dun duuuuuuun!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 08:46 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:28:
I just watched that Total Biscuit video - WOW. So it's as bad or worse than an unfinished free alpha mod (that it is an exact clone of, no less) yet it costs money AND there's a cash shop; you die extremely quickly and easily yet it has microtransactions for items that you lose as soon as you die; it runs like crap, looks pretty bland and outdated, and has terrible animations, and doesn't even have most of the standout features listed on the store page. Sounds like it can't miss!

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 23:27:
TB is right. Valve does have a responsibility here to ensure that what's being claimed is being delivered.

I would say that Valve's responsibility would be to ensure that this game is advertised as unfinished since it so obviously is. Lots of games are run as open beta (like Don't Starve for example) with features that haven't been implemented yet, but that needs to be obvious to the buyer and it is not even mentioned on the store page.

Has Valve ever kicked a game off steam after it's gone on sale? Sounds like this might be a great example...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 03:41 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:59:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:37:
I just watched that Total Biscuit video - WOW. So it's as bad or worse than an unfinished free alpha mod (that it is an exact clone of, no less) yet it costs money AND there's a cash shop; you die extremely quickly and easily yet it has microtransactions for items that you lose as soon as you die; it runs like crap, looks pretty bland and outdated, and has terrible animations, and doesn't even have most of the standout features listed on the store page. Sounds like it can't miss!

Just finished watching it too. It does appear to be total shit but I think the gameplay actually looked great/interesting. He just happened to be terrible at the game. What's so hard to figure out about sight and sound indicators for stealth? I never played Day Z so I'm actually considering buying this crap... Despite that shameful business with the description. Also the trailer appears to be all glitched out on the Steam store now... and lol at those screenshots.

I actually don't mind diy open-world games like that (I spent a scary long time sneaking around the open world of Operation Flashpoint in some missions), but like TB said, if you are going to play a game that clunky and unfinished then why not just go with the free alpha mod? And as much as I love Steam. he also has a good point about Valve's selection process for what games make the service. It's shit to be honest.

This actually looks a bit more approachable than the mod in terms of both setup and gameplay. Also I would expect that this would have higher populations presently.

14. Half-Life Gravity Gun on sale this spring… Dec 19, 2012, 01:41 Fantaz

How about the Quake Axe? I want to buy that...

http://www.primevil.fr/quake/skins/weapons/axe/ingame_v_axe.jpg

13. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 00:59 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:37:

Just finished watching it too. It does appear to be total shit but I think the gameplay actually looked great/interesting. He just happened to be terrible at the game. What's so hard to figure out about sight and sound indicators for stealth? I never played Day Z so I'm actually considering buying this crap... Despite that shameful business with the description. Also the trailer appears to be all glitched out on the Steam store now... and lol at those screenshots.

I actually don't mind diy open-world games like that (I spent a scary long time sneaking around the open world of Operation Flashpoint in some missions), but like TB said, if you are going to play a game that clunky and unfinished then why not just go with the free alpha mod? And as much as I love Steam. he also has a good point about Valve's selection process for what games make the service. It's shit to be honest.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 00:37 Sepharo

11. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 00:28 Prez

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 23:27:
TB is right. Valve does have a responsibility here to ensure that what's being claimed is being delivered.

I would say that Valve's responsibility would be to ensure that this game is advertised as unfinished since it so obviously is. Lots of games are run as open beta (like Don't Starve for example) with features that haven't been implemented yet, but that needs to be obvious to the buyer and it is not even mentioned on the store page.

10. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 00:19 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 23:56:
Also, this.

http://i.imgur.com/62kg1.jpg

Same kid saying that was all a big dumb lie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svd-p3-CURk

9. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2012, 00:07 SirKnight

Wow, so glad I didn't buy this. Sorry excuse for game developers for sure.  

8. Re: etc., etc. Dec 18, 2012, 23:56 ASeven

Also, this.

http://i.imgur.com/62kg1.jpg

7. Re: etc., etc. Dec 18, 2012, 23:27 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 23:07 Axis

Ya pretty obvious all around that the War Z devs / PR peeps are douchebags.  

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 23:05 Kitkoan

Maybe it's just me, but the way it looked, read and titled I really thought this was that DayZ mod now as its stand alone game.

Surprised to find out it isn't.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 22:56 jdreyer

This is bad:

Q: On the max server limit being 50 rather than the promised 100:
A: "I don't see 'LIE' in saying 'up to 100 players per sever' and having the current limit at 50 players. We've just lowered the number of players per map down from 70 based on requests and votes from our players. Ie - we've had 70 players per server - which was what we felt was the 'comfort level' for this map, but when we asked our players about it, the majority voted for 50 slots per server. So we did exactly what our community and our players asked us for."

IF YOU SAY THAT 100 CAN PLAY BUT LIMIT IT TO 50, THAT'S A LIE. NO QUOTES NEEDED.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 22:51 jdreyer

The description in Steam appears to be fixed at least:

The War Z is a Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apcalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.

A Huge Persistent World: The War Z is an open world game. Our first map – “Colorado” is over 100sq. km in size.
Explore, Scavenge, Kill, Survive: You are one of the few survivors and must navigate the desolate countryside exploring cities and scavenging for items.
Play with Friends: Hundreds of Servers to Play on and soon you will be able to create Public or Private Servers allocating spots for Friends or Clans.
No Classes, No Levels, No Caps: Create your own survival campaign.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 22:31 ASeven

http://youtu.be/RtKAm3nzg6I  

1. War Z Rage Dec 18, 2012, 21:53 Prez

"My point is that absolute majority of our players are supporting us, yet, yes, players who don't like the game will be very vocal about it."

- Hammerpoint general manager Sergey Titov

I hate when developers partake in this kind of deliberate misdirection. It's not a question of whether your fans like the game or not. The issue is that the written features are misleading and fans, even ones who like the game, don't appreciate it. Man up, take responsibility, and fix it. Cut the spindoctor routine - it's disrespectful of the fans and makes you seem like a douche.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo