Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers

The Bethesda Blog announces that the new The Scorchers DLC is now available for RAGE, id Software's first-person shooter. Word is: "RAGE: The Scorchers, the official add-on DLC for RAGE, is now available on Xbox 360, and Steam for $4.99 (or 400 Microsoft Points). PlayStation 3 players in North America can expect the content later this afternoon and those in Europe will be able to download it tomorrow."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 22:45 Dades

Maybe its just the people playing but I thought that looked awfully boring. Got the game for $5 a few months ago and its been a real stinker in this household. What happened to you iD?

I wonder if Bethesda will just absorb the employees into other studios in the company, probably for the best. Imagine the Fallout or Skyrim guys with some FPS devs and real animators.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 22:33 netnerd85

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 21:26:
Nail some heads to the wall with a re bar
Lol indeed! the new gun is simply awesome to use. You can really FEEL the deadly nature of it... collecting the rebars after is too cool Grin

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 21:26 SpectralMeat

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 16:32:
Just sharing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWBUrHsRE6s
That looks pretty cool. I gotta pick this game up. Nail some heads to the wall with a re bar

Steam: SpectralMeat

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 16:32 netnerd85

Just sharing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWBUrHsRE6s

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 16:25 scratz

Dmitri_M wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 08:11:
saluk wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:31:
I'm kinda surprised there are more than 3 comments for RAGE posts. Not a terrible game, but, really?

id is how many of us got into gaming
Further, I bet most of the current readers don't know that Blue'sNews began as an id software news site, *the* go-to for all things Doom and Quake on the early Internet. Those of us that have been checking in for 15 or so years still kinda think of Blue's and id as going together like fries and salt.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 15:34 pagb

Prez wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 05:11:
I'll probably get the DLC - for the 8 bucks I paid the main game was solid entertainment. I think the hate for the game itself was a little over-blown but people tend to expect more from id despite the fact they consistently under-deliver because of the way they revolutionized gaming long ago. It helps to remember that id lost its magic years ago, and that above average is the best they can really aspire to. Given that, RAGE was enjoyable enough.
pagb wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 19:40:

At least I enjoy Rage over the sheer borefest that is Borderlands... I got the 2nd one free with my new videocard, and it still was expensive.

For me, while RAGE was decent entertainment, Borderlands utterly buries it in every conceivable way. RAGE's world was completely lifeless and dull despite having some decent action and races. Borderlands world felt alive and exciting.
+1 to your first paragraph, if only we could have more decent, entertaining, well paced corridor shooters like this... you know, I'm f****** tired of being pinned down behind cover.

And about Borderlands, after a gazillion hours of WoW, me (and many people I guess) will loathe any quest desing that even loosely resembles the forementioned one... and the stupid, lame, senseless humour doesn't help at all. I remember Handsome Jack blabbering about his horse called something that wasn't funny at all... and he came back talking again about it minutes later!

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 11:34:
I think my favorite part of the RAGE launch was when Carmack said the following things (paraphrased):

1) "It's all Nvidia's and AMD's fault for not having the right drivers! The CUSTOM drivers we run it with here at the office have no issues whatsoever!"
While this is true, it's also Nvidia & Ati fault. Ati has always sucked in opengl, and they probably hadn't updated their opengl shit for years when Rage came out. Most of the offended people was also using multi-screen, and man... they always pop up with all kind of weird problems when any major launch happens.

...and Carmack opened his last keynote with apologies about this.

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 15:15 Verno

siapnar wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 14:58:
I think RAGE could be phenomenal with mods. Vehicle handling would definitely be the first to get an overhaul.

I think the engine could be phenomenal in the hands of another studio but I'm not that confident mod tools would fix up Rages issues. I guess it couldn't hurt.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 14:58 siapnar

I think RAGE could be phenomenal with mods. Vehicle handling would definitely be the first to get an overhaul.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 11:34 Creston

I think my favorite part of the RAGE launch was when Carmack said the following things (paraphrased):

1) "It's all Nvidia's and AMD's fault for not having the right drivers! The CUSTOM drivers we run it with here at the office have no issues whatsoever!"

(emphasis mine, he actually said that.)

2) "Well, if people want to find something wrong with megatexture, they can. These are the kinds of people who will stand with their back towards a wall, then turn around really quickly, and see a flash of the textures streaming in and complain about it!"

When people were posting videos of the game literally taking seconds to stream in textures everywhere, even if the player only moved their FoV a little. And these were people on phenomenal rigs.

3) CEO dude (forgot his name): "Oh yeah, mod tools will be included! You pull down the console, type in idstudio, and there's all the tools WE used to make the game."

16 months later, there is no idstudio in RAGE. The War Z guys are getting rightfully hammered over their lies, why is CEO dude not catching more flack over this bullshit?

It took id seven years to make this. SEVEN. Giggle

Creston

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 11:30 netnerd85

It's a Star Wars - George Lucas thing isn't it? did the bad man ruin your childhood dreams? Give me a fucking break. Games haven't been "amazing" since the 90's and maybe early 2000's we just don't improve that much inbetween games any more tech wise - thank the consoles?

Duke Nukem 3d was ma-baby growing up, and I still didn't feel as if my childhood was raped by Duke Nukem Forever. I guess I'm just not a big enough fool to get so worked up over a game - call me mentally stable

The only game I felt raped by was Hidden and Dangerous 2, but after a while my tender... feelings calmed down and I accepted it into my home, not with the same amount of love but still accepted it. Life is too short to walk around bitching and moaning because a piece of entertain hurt your witty feewings Baby

Peace and love!

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 siapnar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 10:11:
The decision to optimise the game for consoles doomed it.

Didn't it default graphical settings to certain values without ability to change, to guarantee 60 fps when it was first released on PC? then they patched it or something? Or am i wrong

I have projectile dysfunction.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 10:11 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 22:09:
1) Your opinion, the game is a beautiful work of Art. Stunning. (Yeah the rock in the corner looks a bit bland but thats not the focus, look at the weapons - STUNNING)
2) Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean it wasn't there It's not a bloody physics-based game. It's a shooter and the gunplay is what counts.
3) Your opinion, story was good. The seperate clans was great.
4) Your opinion, I love that hologram dice board game thingo
5) Store page doesn't meantion "open world", it does say the world is open to explore which is true. Seems like you are a tad confused about what an open world is there.
6) 18 hours isn't short for a First Person Shooter game. This is not an open world game. Once you remove that confusion. It's a corridor shooter - the corridors are just connected by roads and towns.

1) No, the graphics were terrible. From 2D sprites, to ultra-compressed textures, low-polygon environments, terrible lighting and randomly low quality textures.
2) The physics was virtually non-existent. Terrible for a modern game.
3) Narrative was terrible, but that's par for the course for id.
4) Mini-games were worthless.
5) The media and interviews leading up to the game were incredibly misleading and I've never played a game with more invisible walls.
6) The game is nowhere near 18hr in length. I completed it in about 8hrs and I wasn't rushing, which is simply terrible for a game that was trying to be a non-linear, semi-open world experience. It didn't have any of the compelling story and scripting that quality singleplayer experience have.

The hate isn't "stupid" - it's well justified. RAGE was a trainwreck of a game, especially for those of us who played it at launch. I have no idea what the fuck Carmack was thinking when he made the game and I was very surprised that the game was a complete clusterfuck in terms of engine technology, when id previous had a good track record. The decision to optimise the game for consoles doomed it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 Quinn

Oh please, oh please! Don't bury my hate for the game under a pile of you-expected-more-from-iD-is-all reasoning. It's dishonest. Atleast to me.

I never -- never! -- understood RAGE's hype. The trailers looked as bland as the game turned out to be. I couldn't care less about the developer. If gameplay trailers look good, a dev with a good reputation is only a bonus. If a game looks uninteresting, the dev's reputation is meaningless.

Forget about the history of developers, people. It's not far from a childish and naive look at things. I hope we've learned that after id's and bioware's fiasco.

No. RAGE was bad in many aspects, some ar even objective fact. Like those fucking graphics -- the occasional fanboy might call them stunning, but that's fanboys talking. And the physics... ffs I saw corpses clip through walls because their dying animation demanded it. It's so fucking year 2000.

Why the hate? Because the game was just that crap, and my anger-management issues just light up when a community full of nitpicking assholes (myself included ofc) somehow thinks this game was alright or even stunning or great. Ffs.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 Spektr

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:38:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:01:
I guess you mean the Q3A id? They've been a subpar developer for a decade: Rage, Q4, Doom 3, etc.

Quake4 was made by Raven. And in my humble opinion the proof that ID could do worse.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 08:11 Dmitri_M

saluk wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 00:31:
I'm kinda surprised there are more than 3 comments for RAGE posts. Not a terrible game, but, really?

id is how many of us got into gaming

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 05:11 Prez

I'll probably get the DLC - for the 8 bucks I paid the main game was solid entertainment. I think the hate for the game itself was a little over-blown but people tend to expect more from id despite the fact they consistently under-deliver because of the way they revolutionized gaming long ago. It helps to remember that id lost its magic years ago, and that above average is the best they can really aspire to. Given that, RAGE was enjoyable enough.
pagb wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 19:40:

At least I enjoy Rage over the sheer borefest that is Borderlands... I got the 2nd one free with my new videocard, and it still was expensive.

For me, while RAGE was decent entertainment, Borderlands utterly buries it in every conceivable way. RAGE's world was completely lifeless and dull despite having some decent action and races. Borderlands world felt alive and exciting.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 19, 2012, 00:31 saluk

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 22:51 netnerd85

Dades wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 22:42:
If you liked the game why do you care if other people didn't and are trying to make it seem like your opinion is somehow more valid than theirs?
I was just replying - he was looking for a reply.

Opinion's are equal in validity. I said nothing to the counter.

So, easy boy.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 22:42 Dades

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 22:09:
Seriously, why all the mind numbingly stupid hate?

I wouldn't be throwing around a really tame 79 metacritic rating as evidence of anything. With the poor sales and word of mouth surrounding this game you should consider yourself lucky to get DLC at all. Why all of the mind numbing fanboy defense? You don't seem willing to acknowledge any of the games flaws so your opinion holds as little weight as anyone else.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 22:48.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - RAGE: The Scorchers Dec 18, 2012, 22:09 netnerd85

Quinn wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 21:48:
Ugh, tell me what was good about Rage that it doesn't deserve the hate from every single one of us!

1) Was it the bland, washed out graphics?
2) Was it the lack of a noticeable physics engine?
3) Was it the lame, lame story?
4) Was it the boring mini-games?
5) Was it the "open world" riddled with invisible walls?
6) Was it the shortness of the game?
1) Your opinion, the game is a beautiful work of Art. Stunning. (Yeah the rock in the corner looks a bit bland but thats not the focus, look at the weapons - STUNNING)
2) Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean it wasn't there It's not a bloody physics-based game. It's a shooter and the gunplay is what counts.
3) Your opinion, story was good. The seperate clans was great.
4) Your opinion, I love that hologram dice board game thingo
5) Store page doesn't meantion "open world", it does say the world is open to explore which is true. Seems like you are a tad confused about what an open world is there.
6) 18 hours isn't short for a First Person Shooter game. This is not an open world game. Once you remove that confusion. It's a corridor shooter - the corridors are just connected by roads and towns.

Seriously, why all the mind numbingly stupid hate?

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo