Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has details on Rise of the Hutt Cartel, the first expansion for the Star Wars: The Old Republic, the sci-fi MMORPG. This is due in Spring 2013, and will be USD $19.99, or $9.99 for subscribers. Here's what this will offer:

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel:

• Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
  • Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
  • The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
  • Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 sauron

Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:57:
WyldKat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:38:
Meanwhile GW2 players will be getting an expansions worth of content, for free, from the January/February game updates.

Source

GW2 has had a crazy content update schedule. I just find myself burning out on it after playing for a month or two and need a break. Which thankfully I can do.

I'm still playing the current content but will be all over the new stuff. There are a few annoying bugs in GW2 endgame (eg disconnect bug in the Fractal dungeon) but it's by far the best MMO I've played in the last 5 years.

I also think they're making a TON of money from the gem shop - actually I'm sure of it. Custom skins, minis, tonics, cosmetic makeovers - lots of players are buying that stuff even though it's purely optional.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 19, 2012, 02:45 OldTimber

Gotta love the email sent out, also on the page announcing it but still, that beats you into preordering by Jan 7th to start playing 5 days ahead. oooooooo yeah that'll get me to preorder it. Maybe if they also said they'd patch in multi-specs, multi-class characters i'd bother with this game again. By that I mean it really is stupid beyond the 2 force using groups that a trooper can only be a vanguard or commando, agent a op or sniper, etc... and can't learn the other skill sets. Or smugglers and BH's can work either faction not pigeon holed into the sides they are now. Oh well don't care about ToR anymore as I went back to WoW after 18months away and actually enjoying it again.  

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 18:21 Wallshadows

So I wonder how they will scale the five extra levels with the current operations since it seems there won't be any new flavors added (or at least none that have been announced).

Will it only take level 55 players and dump the level 50 players? Will the gear, health, and damage scale with those extra levels? Unless they have an entirely new raiding tier for the new cap, what a fucking mess this will turn out to be on top of the mess they already got themselves in to.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 17:18 Trevellian

This game is bad, and they should feel bad.

Especially if they're Star Wars fans and think they're doing the EU any sort of justice.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 17:06 Ozmodan

MORE CRAP! Just what this game did NOT need. Fix the systems in the game, redo crafting, make the game at least somewhat interesting to play.

Try some space action that does not redo arcades of 20 years ago.

What a clueless dev team!

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 16:09 WyldKat

Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:57:
GW2 has had a crazy content update schedule. I just find myself burning out on it after playing for a month or two and need a break. Which thankfully I can do.

That's one of the best things about a Buy2Play game. You can set it down and come back to it later, play the new content, and still have a great value for your money.

Honestly I wasn't expecting this level of commitment from ArenaNet. I told myself the holy grail of content updates would be how Rift did it, the only Pay2Play game that has ever made me feel I got my $15/mo worth. I didn't expect ArenaNet to put out that much content, but they have.

Also it should be said that each content update in GW2 so far has had new voice overs. It's not to the extent of SWTOR to be fair, but hey it is new voice overs.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:57 Flatline

Meanwhile GW2 players will be getting an expansions worth of content, for free, from the January/February game updates.

Source

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:53 kunic

Source

Even Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 was getting more content in its content patches (which was only about half a dozen people working on the game as most of the team went on to A Realm Reborn). I think the problem here is that, like Yoshida said for XIV ARR, you can add in a dozen quests with heavy use of voice acting (ie. ToR) or you can add in a hundred quests with text dialogue for the same production cost. Sure you lose the novelty of voices, but you get so much more content.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:38 WyldKat

Source

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:17:
Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 14:42:
The obsession with the Hutt Cartel seems odd.

You waste an inordinate amount of time in the Hutt controlled systems, your P2W err... F2P currency is cartel coins, and your first major expansion is wanking off on the Hutts.

Fuck the Hutts. I'm tired of the Hutts.

THIS!
Ever notice with KOTOR 1 and 2, when new content came out they added an alien voice? I get that they are aliens, but it seems the 'catch-all' in Bioware Star Wars games is to throw in the alien voice over, which isn't a bad thing until you fucking hear it ALL THE TIME. So now we just get to listen to the same Hutt voice over for the expansion?

You want to make an expansion? You make it so it ties up what happened to the characters in KOTOR 1 and 2. You add co-op space missions. You make a dynamic NPC system ala Trek Online/Champions Online/City of Heroes that ANYONE can access it and not just max level players.
Hell if you really want to make money on it, throw in some sort of space combat system. Not quite SWG but more Trek Online with 4 players controlling their own ships and attacking a target and then boarding the target.

Just so many OTHER things they could do with it.

Actually if they integrated a worthy sequel to TIE fighter into the game I'd go back today and gleefully pay 15 dollars a month for that shit.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:26 Sempai

Darn, i was hoping they'd come out with an expansion called "FIX THE FUCKING GAME."

It's embarrassing that i enjoy this shitty game, it's probably the worst run mmo in the history of the genre.
It is my hope and prayer that somehow, someway Disney can come in and gut the current team of fuckwits, and relaunch the game in a working state.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:17 The Half Elf

Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 14:42:

You waste an inordinate amount of time in the Hutt controlled systems, your P2W err... F2P currency is cartel coins, and your first major expansion is wanking off on the Hutts.

THIS!
Ever notice with KOTOR 1 and 2, when new content came out they added an alien voice? I get that they are aliens, but it seems the 'catch-all' in Bioware Star Wars games is to throw in the alien voice over, which isn't a bad thing until you fucking hear it ALL THE TIME. So now we just get to listen to the same Hutt voice over for the expansion?

You want to make an expansion? You make it so it ties up what happened to the characters in KOTOR 1 and 2. You add co-op space missions. You make a dynamic NPC system ala Trek Online/Champions Online/City of Heroes that ANYONE can access it and not just max level players.
Hell if you really want to make money on it, throw in some sort of space combat system. Not quite SWG but more Trek Online with 4 players controlling their own ships and attacking a target and then boarding the target.

Just so many OTHER things they could do with it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:14 1badmf

nin wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 14:45:

New Han Solo saying for Episode 7: "well fuck a Hutt..."

R rated star wars. interesting idea... would Disney go down that path to the dark side?

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:14 Smellfinger

This is like squeezing water from a rock.  

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:03 El Pit

TOR expanded to two servers now! WoW and GW2 tremble with fear!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 14:45 nin

New Han Solo saying for Episode 7: "well fuck a Hutt..."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 14:42 Flatline

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 14:32 NKD

deqer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:10:
Wait, what? You guys been working on an expansion this whole time while your game is dying? Why?

The same reason you post on these boards even though you are dying of untreated Syphilis.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 13:42 Tumbler

The pricing seems odd, why not just offer it free to people who have subscribed? It costs $15 to subscribe for a month for most people i'm guessing, I would guess you'd get a lot more subscribers for a short time and net far more money that way than you will offering the expansion for $10 to subs and $20 to f2p'ers.

But maybe the name of the game is to squeeze the subbers as hard as you can. Pay us $15 AND $10! ($25!!!) The f2p's can just give us $20.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 13:10 deqer

Wait, what? You guys been working on an expansion this whole time while your game is dying? Why?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo