Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM

A few days ago the developers at Maxis subjected themselves to a reddit AMAA session to discuss SimCity, the next installment in EA's urban planning series. In this case, the offer to ask then anything provoked a number of questions about the controversial decision to make being online a requirement to play the game, and Techdirt points to a separate thread compiling comments from the session on this proposed DRM. Thanks Shok.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

32. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 14:21 Fion

Haven't these people realized that always-on DRM doesn't even work? Look at Ubi's always on DRM, that was cracked in days. How long will they force paying customers to jump through hoops while torrenters play the game with a few simple steps.

On SimCityV, it does look significantly simplified. But I'm not entirely sure we've seen all there is to know. What we've seen in demo vids so far has been pretty simplistic. It seems to me that you could finish a modern city in days and when then is left? So I'm reserving judgement on the game. What I see I like, though I wish they'd add more classic SimCity features.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 14:17 Yakubs

I'm looking forward to an EA/Maxis spokesperson saying that they decided not to include a single-player aspect because they didn't want their customers to be confused.  

30. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 14:00 Verno

Man reading more about this game is a huge bummer. No fucking subways? Terraforming ok whatever I think that's dumb as hell too but to not include subways is just inexcusable. Might as well call this SimVille and stop pretending.

Ugh, I try to be optimistic about this stuff but its yet another EA Wants The Masses classic turned into a shallow version of its former self. It's not good enough to just make money apparently, every game has to be a potential Call of Sims title.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

29. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:51 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:15:
nin wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:45:
This is what you caused when you all bought Diablo 3. Enjoy.

But Creston! Episodic gaming is the future!

I'd like to point out that The Walking Dead will probably make most top 10 lists. While it won't dominate the future, it's certainly viable and can work very well.

They're the exception to the norm, and even they were delayed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:45 TheEmissary

zombiefan wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:39:
I hope another studio picks up where SC4 left off and runs with it. Just because they own the moniker doesn't mean they own the gameplay. There certainly is a market for it and we are long overdue for an updated simulated city management game that can deliver.

There are a number of city building games out there like the Anno series, Cities XL, Tropico, and OpenCity. There out there but they aren't exactly like Simcity as we are accustomed.

27. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:39 zombiefan

I hope another studio picks up where SC4 left off and runs with it. Just because they own the moniker doesn't mean they own the gameplay. There certainly is a market for it and we are long overdue for an updated simulated city management game that can deliver.  

26. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:38 m00t

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:19:
Yakubs wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:14:
I hope this game is a huge bomb.

But if it is, will they take the right lesson from that failure?

No, they'll just lay off enough people to cover the difference and move on to more Call of Battlefield 7 for the console where morons throw cash at them for the same garbage year in and year out and not make any more PC games at all. I'm not 100% sure that's a bad thing.

25. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:36 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:15:

I'd like to point out that The Walking Dead will probably make most top 10 lists. While it won't dominate the future, it's certainly viable and can work very well.

Eh, that's a story, though. Those games were about storytelling, from what I understand, not gameplay, so it makes sense that they follow TV format.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:33 Tumbler

Browsing through that AMA I'm struggling to find answers from the Devs. Maybe the most upvoted questions came to the top after the ama ended but to me it looks like the devs didn't want to respond to a lot of the questions. (A lot of the questions asked about Always online DRM)

Honestly it sounds fucking horrible for a game like that to have always online drm. I play civ V still and I love the long games and how immersed I'd get. At no point can I come up with a reason why making that game "online" would improve it.

It's already on steam so I have to launch that everytime I play it and it's a hassle if internet is out but that rarely happens. But having that hassle be something that could jump in at any time during a 6 hour game?!

This is just greed pushing this feature. We need more control! If we have more control we can make people pay us more money! Look at how much money you lose when people can still play Civ V without htat new expansion! That is free game time! We can be getting paid if was online only!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:19 entr0py

I haven't been keeping up with every detail. Is it going to need constant information from the server like Diablo 3? Or more occasional contact that won't lag the game if there's a delay?

22. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:19 jdreyer

Yakubs wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:14:
I hope this game is a huge bomb.

But if it is, will they take the right lesson from that failure?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:18 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:40:
That AMA was a fucking RIOT to read!

I hope the devs were crying as they read it.

Yeah, I'm sure that the devs didn't decide to make it always online. I'm sure that was a business decision by upper management.

20. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:15 jdreyer

19. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:14 TheEmissary

They really need to reconsider adding a offline mode of some type. I don't need or want social integration in every game I play. This is one of those games where you build a city or world to your design and you shouldn't have to worry about other people interfering with it. Social elements makes sense for other games not so much here. I can totally understand if it was optional feature but as of right now its not.

I like lot of the new features they are adding to the city building mechanics so I will more than likely buy this game. I still however don't and won't approve of the forced online component. I can tell you what this is going to be a huge mess in 5 years time when EA wants to retire the servers as they have done with countless console titles and some PC games.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 13:24.

18. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:08 Eirikrautha

Paketep wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:59:
nin wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:40:
That AMA was a fucking RIOT to read!

I hope the devs were crying as they read it. :)

They work for EA. Tears are beyond them by now.

Actually, the executives at EA feed off tears. They especially like children's tears (because they taste so sweet)... Devilish

17. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:00 ASeven

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:50:
Dev wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:44:
from a dev on the AMA:

we put all of our chips down on the city simulation and on city regional play. That's the heart of the game.

Regardless of what happens, and how many people complain, they aren't going to be removing the always on DRM (aka regional play), they aren't going to add offline mode. As they've said, they've put all the chips down on that. The entire game is designed around that.
I guess the last C&C game wasn't enough for them to be convinced the always online DRM isn't working

Don't forget Darkspore as well.

16. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 FloorPie

The cloud man, the cloud!  

15. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 12:50 SpectralMeat

Dev wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:44:
from a dev on the AMA:

we put all of our chips down on the city simulation and on city regional play. That's the heart of the game.

Regardless of what happens, and how many people complain, they aren't going to be removing the always on DRM (aka regional play), they aren't going to add offline mode. As they've said, they've put all the chips down on that. The entire game is designed around that.
I guess the last C&C game wasn't enough for them to be convinced the always online DRM isn't working

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 12:50 Cutter

Derp R M.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 12:44 Dev

from a dev on the AMA:

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo