Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project GODUS Prototype Footage

A new trailer is now available from Project GODUS on the Kickstarter Page for this upcoming god game from Peter Molyneux and 22cans showing prototype footage. The accompanying update promises another video tomorrow, discusses how terrain will work in the game, and offers a couple of incentives as their fundraiser enters its final three days, an in-game totem and the option of having your faced chipped away in Curiosity. There's a Q&A with Molyneux on Kickstarter (thanks nin) where he explains he needs the kickstart because he is "not by any measure a hugely wealthy individual."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 19, 2012, 13:12 Dev

And now Chris Roberts is pushing this game on the star citizen kickstarter. Yeah that gives me real hope for star citizen.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 20:08 Silicon Avatar

Can't decide if want. I loved Populous 2, but Molyneux's last few games didn't hit a chord.

17. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 10:52 Yakubs

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 22:21:
You didn't like BnW or Fable? Both were excellent games (hell Fable 2 is the bst in the series)?

Neither were, by any means, "excellent" games. BnW was a half-baked project with some good ideas and extremely poor execution. It was the kind of game where you see just about everything there is to see within an hour of starting the game. There was no thought or challenge involved. No strategy. It was basically a sandbox with no gameplay.

Fable 1/2/3 were dumbed-down console action games with some cutesy crap thrown in. Any game where you're supposed to be amused by your character farting is unlikely to be high quality.

16. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 10:47 Creston

You didn't like BnW or Fable? Both were excellent games (hell Fable 2 is the bst in the series)?

BnW was okay, and is actually the last game I counted as the one I liked. I thought it came out in 2000, but maybe it was a bit later than that.

I thought Fable was boring as hell.

I'm not sure why you equate "I don't like Molyneueyeyenenx's games" with bitterness, but whatever. And I hope you have fun in the stone age.

Creston

15. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 10:12 Frijoles

BnW was broken. I believe your pet was taken away in act 3 (or so) and the bug failed to return it. There were only 5 acts, which was really short, and your pet was gone for half of that. I really loved chucking fireballs over the mountains, but there just wasn't much game there. BnW2 just wasn't fun for me.

I did enjoy Fable, despite the console controls. I'll buy this game if it comes to Steam. Molyneux is the King of Hype, and his Curiosity "game" makes it look like he was seeing how much bullshit someone will take in whatever game comes next.

14. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 10:01 theyarecomingforyou

I assume he doesn't have the rights to Black & White any more but I'd love to see him do an unofficial sequel. He could call it Shades Of Grey.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 07:46 Krizzen

Wow, it does look boring.

I've never understood what Molyneux's ultimate goal with his recurring god game design. It just seems... silly. For some reason, his games typically make you a god, but by doing that it relinquishes the player of a LOT of control over the game. Who likes a game with bad "controls"? Once you lose control, you more or less watch a lot of (usually) crap AI making stupid decisions... all without you having any control.

That's not to say god games can't be good at all. Dungeon Keeper was amazing, but getting a grasp on any sort of control of your creatures (aside from possessing them) was frustrating.

Black and White had the same problem. Controlling your creature was extremely difficult, and oftentimes your creature would do some really dumb things and get beaten up by enemies while you're tending to your villages.

Anyway, the GODUS prototype shows nothing new or intriguing. I just really hope they can pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise us all.

12. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 05:49 Fibrocyte

Maybe I wasn't paying full attention during the video, but it seems like the gameplay is simply molding the terrain?  

11. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 05:37 Dev

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 23:06:
Could have sworn it was 357K earlier, and now it's 352. Comments section confirms it. Whoops!
I wonder if it was a couple big backers to pull out, or a bunch of little ones.

10. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 04:06 Cutter

Looks boring.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 23:37 Wallshadows

Why wait when you can play Populous 3 with a modified .bat file now.  

8. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 23:06 nin

Could have sworn it was 357K earlier, and now it's 352. Comments section confirms it. Whoops!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 23:05 ASeven

Not bad at all for a Populous remake. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at this and I wasn't expecting to feel that way.  

6. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Who ever asked for a populous remake? We want Dungeon Keeper 3! ^^  

5. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 22:21 The Half Elf

He's stepped out of the a-typical developer box many times, and people just bash him for it. Yeah he does over promote on what he can deliver, but when was the last time a big name developer could do that? If you want anything different these days you have to go with indies. Plus he's giving you guys EXACTLY what you asked for, a Populus remake.

I get that quite a few of us on here are older gamers, but fer christ sake the bitterness that is going with it is getting tired and worn out.

Kinda to the point I hope mankind gets sent back to the stone-age in a few days, least it'll be alot more interesting.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 21:59 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:23:
I'll laugh if it doesn't get funded. I still think he'll kick in whatever is needed at the last minute... him or one of his friends.

There is no way on earth that 450K will make the game he's talking about, so I'm sure that they already have to kick in plenty of their own cash.

Whether that will lead to them not being able to put in more, or whether they'll just shore up any shortcomings themselves, however, I don't know.

I have to admit, I'm intrigued by GODUS. Their dev diaries have been pretty cool. I'm partially tempted to back, but then I remember that it's Molyneux, and he basically hasn't made a game I liked in over a dozen years.

Creston

3. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 21:26 jdreyer

Yeah, I agree on the B&W comparison. Very similar, not surprising that though. Obviously, just a tech demo, but it will be cool to see what comes of it. I won't contribute, but I'll watch with interest what comes of this.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 21:23 wtf_man

I'll laugh if it doesn't get funded. I still think he'll kick in whatever is needed at the last minute... him or one of his friends.  

1. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 17, 2012, 20:14 eRe4s3r

Ah.. a Molyneux "game"

You gotta admire him, he always has cool ideas, sadly he never actually makes a game out of them. Basically, this is Black And White, without a creature..

Wow.. not hyped

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo