Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 07:58 nin

edit: Damn Batman you have young grandma, mines 89.

My grandfather turns 90 in Feb. Tough old man. He had a scare maybe 5-6 years ago where he slipped and hit his head, but he bounced back. He's in assisted living and seems to enjoy it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 05:12 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 04:58:
That's why I've always partied like it's 1999. I don't want to live to be really old. That scares the bejesus out me. I'd like to make it to 60 at least but anytime after 65 - and no later than 75 - works for me. Hell, I doubt I'll make it that long anwyay. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. Either way, I've had a good run.

Anything after 75 is free as far as I am concerned.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 04:58 Cutter

That's why I've always partied like it's 1999. I don't want to live to be really old. That scares the bejesus out me. I'd like to make it to 60 at least but anytime after 65 - and no later than 75 - works for me. Hell, I doubt I'll make it that long anwyay. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. Either way, I've had a good run.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 04:41 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 00:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 22:22:
Well the pressure for more "old people" and "less money" is going to make all retirement centers pretty bland environments soon enough, not to mention there won't be any social security for anyone who is in their 20ies or 30ies now... imo... I guess I am just saying that to me, living with other old people together in a holding cell is NOT something to strife for.

Also you make it sound like someone living alone is by definition lonely... lot's of people do this by choice. Choose only animals because they can not and do not want other humans around them anymore. You have seen retirement centers? Well so did I, what I saw made me decide never to pursue this path. I knew an very old guy (my neighbor until recently), he was more than 90.. Stukka pilot in WW2, got shot down twice, shrapnel in head, chest. He died recently, but he left his wife (87) who couldn't handle the huge house they had anymore. So she went to a retirement home. It costs 2000€ a month. and you know what the first thing was that happened? She got robbed, right there. Put her jewelry in a locked box in a drawer in her room, the next morning the box was gone. Staff "doesn't know what happened" ... When I heard that I was this close to punching the guy who told me this. I visited there with her son.... they also have no internet, no computers. No tablets. They are completely degenerated there, living like in the stone age, rolled in front of a TV and rolled in front of food. Even though she can still walk albeit slowly, they put her in a rolling chair. Because it's too much hassle?!?!?!....

This is how society here acts towards old people. You pay money to be maybe robbed, to be most definitely degenerated. As a thing, a product. Not a living human with feelings, urges, wants and needs.

I agree that assisted living is maybe a better way, but you forget that assisted living is VERY expensive, hardly anyone will be able to afford it in 50 years. And especially here in Germany, assisted living costs upwards 3000€ a month. I know not a SINGLE retiree who can afford it. It is literally for the upper 1%.. as much as I hate this classification..

Like I said, it depends on the place. And of course money has nearly everything to do with it, that's reality in any life situation unfortunately. My grandparents were not wealthy people but fortunately they come from a time when you worked hard and you got a pension and you paid off your home and kept it nice. The way most places do it is they take just about your entire "estate" and you stay there... forever, but that's the plan.

edit: Damn Batman you have young grandma, mines 89. She doesn't drive and lives on her own and if she's stubborn about not moving into assisted living where her own daughter works you know there's no way she's moving into her home.

I am probably wrong, probably closer to 90....that being said, my family breeds young...so it might make sense...

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 02:00 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 01:13:
I am glad for all of the elderly who manage to stay active and continue to live a fulfilling life through their 70's right into their 80's and sometimes even beyond. But after Parkinson's and dementia racked her body and brain, all my grandmother wanted to was to be allowed to die. Apparently we are too "civilized" to allow such a thing, so instead the elderly who are suffering and miserable are forced to continue existing in a life of torment. Why is it that it is considered humane to euthanize a pet which has gotten to the point of not being able to live a fulfilling pain-free life but not to afford humans the same luxury?

Two of my grandparents chose to die... I don't really know a way of softening that up because that's what they did. The hospital or law would say that they chose to forgo treatment. One had a brain tumor and the other kidney failure. Their children and families all supported them and/or came to terms with their decision. They left the hospital, came home, and hospice services "made them comfortable".

So euthanasia is nearly possible but there needs to be this awful implied you're-not-saying-what-I-think-you-are discussion around it skirting legality.

edit: I thought it was here, but it must've been another forum where I discussed this previously. I think there was an article where a woman was suing the hospice because she thought they killed her loved one with morphine overdose or something.

10. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 Prez

I am glad for all of the elderly who manage to stay active and continue to live a fulfilling life through their 70's right into their 80's and sometimes even beyond. But after Parkinson's and dementia racked her body and brain, all my grandmother wanted to was to be allowed to die. Apparently we are too "civilized" to allow such a thing, so instead the elderly who are suffering and miserable are forced to continue existing in a life of torment. Why is it that it is considered humane to euthanize a pet which has gotten to the point of not being able to live a fulfilling pain-free life but not to afford humans the same luxury?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 18, 2012, 00:12 Sepharo

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 22:22:
Well the pressure for more "old people" and "less money" is going to make all retirement centers pretty bland environments soon enough, not to mention there won't be any social security for anyone who is in their 20ies or 30ies now... imo... I guess I am just saying that to me, living with other old people together in a holding cell is NOT something to strife for.

Also you make it sound like someone living alone is by definition lonely... lot's of people do this by choice. Choose only animals because they can not and do not want other humans around them anymore. You have seen retirement centers? Well so did I, what I saw made me decide never to pursue this path. I knew an very old guy (my neighbor until recently), he was more than 90.. Stukka pilot in WW2, got shot down twice, shrapnel in head, chest. He died recently, but he left his wife (87) who couldn't handle the huge house they had anymore. So she went to a retirement home. It costs 2000€ a month. and you know what the first thing was that happened? She got robbed, right there. Put her jewelry in a locked box in a drawer in her room, the next morning the box was gone. Staff "doesn't know what happened" ... When I heard that I was this close to punching the guy who told me this. I visited there with her son.... they also have no internet, no computers. No tablets. They are completely degenerated there, living like in the stone age, rolled in front of a TV and rolled in front of food. Even though she can still walk albeit slowly, they put her in a rolling chair. Because it's too much hassle?!?!?!....

This is how society here acts towards old people. You pay money to be maybe robbed, to be most definitely degenerated. As a thing, a product. Not a living human with feelings, urges, wants and needs.

I agree that assisted living is maybe a better way, but you forget that assisted living is VERY expensive, hardly anyone will be able to afford it in 50 years. And especially here in Germany, assisted living costs upwards 3000€ a month. I know not a SINGLE retiree who can afford it. It is literally for the upper 1%.. as much as I hate this classification..

Like I said, it depends on the place. And of course money has nearly everything to do with it, that's reality in any life situation unfortunately. My grandparents were not wealthy people but fortunately they come from a time when you worked hard and you got a pension and you paid off your home and kept it nice. The way most places do it is they take just about your entire "estate" and you stay there... forever, but that's the plan.

edit: Damn Batman you have young grandma, mines 89. She doesn't drive and lives on her own and if she's stubborn about not moving into assisted living where her own daughter works you know there's no way she's moving into her home.

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 23:21 xXBatmanXx

The problem is no one is willing to step up and take care of them from the family. A routine and activities in a retirement center is the best for most.

My grandmother is 84 and she is doing awesome at home by herself. She just quit working a few years ago. Luckily one of her daughters lives next door and makes sure she eats, gets around, etc etc etc.

I hope I am able to care for my family members if need be. I go to many many "care centers" and see how horrid they are. I get very frustrated when we go to medicals and no one even knows CPR.

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 22:58 The Half Elf

Forgot to add, my ex's grandmother almost hit 100. She had a beer a day, and chain smoked her ultra light 100's but her worst problems was loosing her vision, hearing, and sense of balance once a month. Hell of a women, great memory, a EVIL Uno card player, and the first time I met her stole my beer right from under my nose!
Maybe that's why I get along so well with older women, out for blood, playing UNO on Xbox Live?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 22:22 eRe4s3r

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 22:07 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:54:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:32:
It really depends on the "retirement center" I think. I wish my grandmother would spend her money living comfortably and socializing among her peers in independent/assisted living instead of spending her time alone at home watching TV.

She thinks she's saving the money so she can give it to us but we would rather she not be lonely and be safe. Yes we do visit but not often enough to constitute a social life. So back to my first sentence... I wouldn't want her in a poor "nursing home", bed-ridden in the dark with poor service but an independent/assisted living apartment with dining hall etc would be great.

This is how my mom lives. 70, smoker, on oxygen, ocpd and a few other medical issues, uses a wheel walker, lives in an apt with 2 cats and a dog that she can't properly take care of. While my grandmother lived in a senior apt complex in California that had things going on all the time, very social environment, etc. If my mom survives another 5 years it'll be a miracle, but I'd rather have her in some sort of nursing home/community then living alone unable to properly live.

The really silly part about my grandmother's situation is that my mom's job is selling assisted living here: http://www.oakwoodcommon.org/

So she could be closer to us, live at the same place my mom works, and likely get a some kind of discount. I visit there all the time, it's very nice and the people there are lively. In contrast to a place I volunteered at with my dog that was dark and dirty and frankly reminded me of parts of Midnight Express.

4. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 21:54 The Half Elf

Sepharo wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 21:32:
It really depends on the "retirement center" I think. I wish my grandmother would spend her money living comfortably and socializing among her peers in independent/assisted living instead of spending her time alone at home watching TV.

She thinks she's saving the money so she can give it to us but we would rather she not be lonely and be safe. Yes we do visit but not often enough to constitute a social life. So back to my first sentence... I wouldn't want her in a poor "nursing home", bed-ridden in the dark with poor service but an independent/assisted living apartment with dining hall etc would be great.

This is how my mom lives. 70, smoker, on oxygen, ocpd and a few other medical issues, uses a wheel walker, lives in an apt with 2 cats and a dog that she can't properly take care of. While my grandmother lived in a senior apt complex in California that had things going on all the time, very social environment, etc. If my mom survives another 5 years it'll be a miracle, but I'd rather have her in some sort of nursing home/community then living alone unable to properly live.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 21:32 Sepharo

2. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 21:15 Leper

Your post reminds me of the end of this video which I think was posted here a few years ago: http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6/is-this-the-world-of-tomorrow-753812

And being crowned the oldest person in the world (for the days/weeks) is the last thing I would ever want.

1. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2012, 20:55 eRe4s3r

....died at the retirement center...

Am I the only one who thinks that this is not a real living of life anymore, that society has perverted growing older? If you just stagnate and degenerate at some holding location until you die?

You work 70~ years of your best years to make money (includes school) so you can rot away in some overpriced crap house cared for by people who only care for your money. In some perverse sense, it makes perfect sense. But to me.. I try everything I can to live a healthy life but if I become so old or sick I can't move anymore (or I get Alzheimer) I would order a parajump and not trigger the parachute. Die with a splash, not with a sizzle.

What's the point of living if you can't live like you want anymore? (or in case of Alzheimer, are these people still people? Is that still LIFE? To not be aware your brain is rotting away? To not remember who you are, what you are? What you are living for?) Isn't the entire existence of a human, what defines you as you, that you have wishes unique to you? That you are under the illusion to be unique? If your uniqueness is taken from you, and you are just a bio-machine rotting away with some disjointed memories.. is that still Life? To me, the answer is no.

Death has never been scary for me, but growing older and sick and not dying, instead getting Alzheimer or some other weird shit like that make me shit my pants. There is nothing worse that could happen imo....

That said, kudos to someone getting to 115.. I just had a weird day today so Ignore my ramblings.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo