Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 11:18 nin

In this new one, it's blatantly obvious he's just getting the Recall fantasy. (because why on earth is the Recall guy drawing a gun on him when soldiers burst in??) They really should have made that more ambiguous.

I assumed the opposite, actually. As for WHY, I just assumed it was a stupid rehash that made little sense.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 11:14 Creston

I thought the new Total Recall was okay, though I wish they had done more to differentiate it from the old one. Too many repeating characters and situations.

That said, with the old one you can make an excellent argument one way or the other that everything is real OR that Quaid is just getting the Recall fantasy he paid for.

In this new one, it's blatantly obvious he's just getting the Recall fantasy. (because why on earth is the Recall guy drawing a gun on him when soldiers burst in??) They really should have made that more ambiguous.

It was a decent summer action flick, and I liked the Blade Runner visual style.

Creston

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 11:06 Jay

The new Total Recall movie was remarkably bad. They took all these events from the original movie but strung together in completely different situations so they end up becoming glaring plot holes.

For example (spoiler!), the whole reason Quaid had his memories wiped is supposed to be because the leader of the resistance's a psychic who may spot out spies. The leader is not a psychic in the new movie, so why go through the trouble?

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 09:49 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:37:
Go watch Valhalla Rising, or Inglorious Basterds, or Drive or Eastern Promises or The Dark Knight or Ratatouille or District 9 and come back complaining about how everything was better when you were young and seeing them with eyes that hadn't seen much of anything yet.
Eastern Promises and the The Dark Knight were excellent. Drive and District 9 were okay. Inglorious Bastards is actually on it's way to me from Netflix right now, but frankly I'm expecting it to be "okay" at best. Valhalla Rising looks like it could go either way... might be great, might be terrible -- added to the queue.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 09:37 Beamer

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 08:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 16:08:
Is the Total Recall remake really that bad of a movie? I've loved the original one. I've also loved Fifth Element those movies were so good back in the day. Not sure why there are no good sci fi movies like that anymore. Most new not remake sci fi movies these days are all horror.

There aren't any good movies any more because it's all about the money now. They churn out as many movies as they can just to sell tickets. I can't remember when I last saw a decent original movie. Remakes are just annoying.

It's been "all about money" during the days some of you are pining for. The 80s? There was zero artist integrity in Hollywood then. Those movies are mostly devoid of anything interesting and very obviously geared towards being as cheap and broad as possible.

But anyone that thinks there are no decent original movies has his head in the sand. You can find them in any genre. Hell, even remakes. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was surprisingly decent.

Go watch Valhalla Rising, or Inglorious Basterds, or Drive or Eastern Promises or The Dark Knight or Ratatouille or District 9 and come back complaining about how everything was better when you were young and seeing them with eyes that hadn't seen much of anything yet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 09:09 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:29:
I liked the new Total Recall. The reason why starts with a 'J,' and ends with an 'essica Biel.'
I like looking at Jessica -- I haven't seen the movie, might Netflix it eventually. But unless Jessica has an X-rated scene added in the director's cut, I'm guessing she can't save a presumably poorly written script.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 09:04 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 22:50:
I agree, The Recruit was a good movie. But even catching part of Fright Night the other day, it just comes across like he's not given enough direction, or reeled in enough either.

I did enjoy the remake of Fright Night, but I went in with very low expectations, and I didn't think the original was The Best Move Evar, either...

But the original Total Recall (and 5th Element) were both miles better than the TR remake.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 18, 2012, 08:05 Frags4Fun

Is the Total Recall remake really that bad of a movie? I've loved the original one. I've also loved Fifth Element those movies were so good back in the day. Not sure why there are no good sci fi movies like that anymore. Most new not remake sci fi movies these days are all horror.

There aren't any good movies any more because it's all about the money now. They churn out as many movies as they can just to sell tickets. I can't remember when I last saw a decent original movie. Remakes are just annoying.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 22:50 The Half Elf

I agree, The Recruit was a good movie. But even catching part of Fright Night the other day, it just comes across like he's not given enough direction, or reeled in enough either.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 19:02 bhcompy

Leper wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 17:34:
It was pretty bad and, for once, it didn't seem like Colin's fault. The story and directing were just awful.

When has it ever been Colin's fault? All the bad movies he's been in just seem like bad movies overall. Daredevil comes to mind. He was entertaining in Fright Night and Horrible Bosses and I hear Seven Psychopaths was good.

I haven't seen this remake, but I plan to rent it.

He's never likable. The one movie where I wasn't rooting against him was The Recruit, which was actually kind of decent.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 19:00 Fibrocyte

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:29:
I liked the new Total Recall. The reason why starts with a 'J,' and ends with an 'essica Biel.'

She didn't make the movie good... sorry

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 18:29 jacobvandy

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 18:16 Fibrocyte

The Fifth Element is still a awesome movie even today.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 18:15 Fibrocyte

Leper wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 17:34:
It was pretty bad and, for once, it didn't seem like Colin's fault. The story and directing were just awful.

When has it ever been Colin's fault? All the bad movies he's been in just seem like bad movies overall. Daredevil comes to mind. He was entertaining in Fright Night and Horrible Bosses and I hear Seven Psychopaths was good.

His acting was pretty terrible in Daredevil.

He's generally not someone I would list as a "good actor".

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 18:14 siapnar

Don't bother renting it. It's a horrendously written, acted and scripted movie that takes itself far too seriously.

The idea of the movie is pretty preposterous. The original with Arnold understood this (and what a great movie it is), this remake does not.

I have projectile dysfunction.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 17:34 Leper

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 16:08 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 16:04 DangerDog

The extended cut has colin farrell getting out of the Rekall machine and demanding his money back.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 14:05 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 13:57:
I Totally don't Recall seeing this movie.

Seriously you can't beat the original. No Mars? Bah.

And the remake train continues.

The remake lost a lot of humor of the original. That and (mild spoilers) the original was based off the idea that even at the end, you didn't know if it was real or not, and that was totally ignored in the remake (or else I don't remember it).

But yeah, the script in general just wasn't that good, either.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 13:57 NegaDeath

I Totally don't Recall seeing this movie.

Seriously you can't beat the original. No Mars? Bah.

And the remake train continues.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo