Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 17, 2012, 17:44 HorrorScope

Even if it's ok. There are plenty of free options out there, so no real win here, we already got the tools.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. AMD Dec 17, 2012, 17:31 jdreyer

A sliver of good news there. Hope they make it through.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 16:29 Shok

I've only used it at work but I actually like Microsoft's imagex utility. And since it is file based there is no need to back up the pagefile and other temp files on a drive. The whole process is kind of a pain to create a PE bootcd with imagex and the bcdboot utilities but once you've got that it's not bad at all.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 16:02 jimnms

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:45:
Does anyone have any experience yet with Windows 8's image creation and recovery? The feature exists in Win7, but it's terrible. It always insists on adding my D and E drives (which are several hundred gigs in size), and the one time I'd tried to use it anyway I finally canceled it after it had been running for FOUR DAYS.

(tl;dr: Image creation and recovery sucks on Win7. Is it any better on Win8?)

Creston

I used Win7's image backup to move to a new/bigger HD once, and it worked great. I was moving from a 1TB drive to a 1.5TB drive. When I originally installed Win7 on the 1TB I had a 30GB C: partition with the rest for D:, and I used an unattend.xml to put the Users directory on the D: partition. When I restored the image on the new drive, it did re-create the partition structure of the old drive on the new one (30GB C:, 970GB D:), but it didn't actually backup or restore anything from D:. I then deleted the D: partition and used Win7's built in partition re-sizer to bump C: up to 50GB. I used GParted to direct copy over the old D: partition to the new drive, and then re-sized it to fill up the rest of the drive.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 12:51 theyarecomingforyou

Does anyone have any experience yet with Windows 8's image creation and recovery? The feature exists in Win7, but it's terrible. It always insists on adding my D and E drives (which are several hundred gigs in size)
If your Windows drive isn't the first drive in your boot order then Windows 7 and 8 will add a small recovery partition pointing to your Windows install, which is about 350MB in size. In order to backup your Windows install the system-imager has to include all drives with a recovery partition, which often makes backups impossible if you're talking about a large drive.

To get around this the simplest way is to disconnect all your drives, delete all the partitions on your boot drive and then go through the Windows install process. It will automatically create a recovery partition. Then when you reconnect your existing drives just make sure to manually configure your primary boot device to be your boot drive in BIOS/EFI.

As for the system-imager, I've only used it to create an image with Windows 8 - I haven't actually needed to restore an image. However, it looks identical to the one in Windows 7, which I used countless times with great success. I much prefer complete system images than the Reset / Refresh PC functionality built into Windows 8.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 12:12 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:04:
Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:58:
Stick to Acronis or Ghost.

Ghost sucks cock. Try Clonezilla. Free and works amazingly well. We use it here to reimage hundreds of machines at a pop.

Yeah I hate Ghost too but its still ridiculously popular so I figured I would mention it. We're using Acronis on a similar scale and I'm pretty happy with the deployment tools.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 12:04 Burrito of Peace

Stick to Acronis or Ghost.

Ghost sucks cock. Try Clonezilla. Free and works amazingly well. We use it here to reimage hundreds of machines at a pop.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 Creston

Nope it still sucks on Windows 8, takes awhile and it failed to restore properly the one time I tried it. The refresh functionality was super disappointing too. Stick to Acronis or Ghost.

Well, there goes the ONE reason I might have gotten Win8.

Thanks Verno.

Creston

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 10:58 Verno

Does anyone have any experience yet with Windows 8's image creation and recovery? The feature exists in Win7, but it's terrible. It always insists on adding my D and E drives (which are several hundred gigs in size), and the one time I'd tried to use it anyway I finally canceled it after it had been running for FOUR DAYS.

Creston

Nope it still sucks on Windows 8, takes awhile and it failed to restore properly the one time I tried it. The refresh functionality was super disappointing too. Stick to Acronis or Ghost.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 10:46 nin

the one time I'd tried to use it anyway I finally canceled it after it had been running for FOUR DAYS.

hehehehehehe.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 17, 2012, 10:45 Creston

Creston

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo