Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Free Shipping Day 2012. Also, Happy birthday Miss Awesome!

Our FiOS installation did not go as perfectly as it could have, though we didn't have any of that dramatic blow up your house stuff some experienced from the earliest days of this. When things concluded yesterday we had Internet and outgoing phone service, but no incoming service, which would be worse if our phone numbers weren't also all screwed up. I got some of this straightened out already this morning, and the final parts of this are expected to fall into place by tomorrow. The internet part of this is pretty awesome, as though it's hard to detect the speed difference, there is an odd latency in loading webpages that's gone away since the changeover, which is inexplicable, but cool.

Inexplicable Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Flooded Village Xmas Eve.
Links: 25 Things You Hate Yourself For Thinking But Never Say.
Science: Black holes- They’re all the same.
Images: NYC DeLorean Cab Takes You Back to Your Future Destination.
Media: Kids being kids: Adorable '12 Days of Christmas' Fail.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 20:33 Jivaro

Blue wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:31:
Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 10:34:
Sanchez is done. I really have no idea what Ryan was up to this year, so many opportunities to let Tebow prove himself after constant Sanchez fuckups. I'm all for loyalty and giving people a chance but Sanchez had enough rope to hang the whole team. Some people have been criticizing their offensive line but I feel like they're doing the best they can in spite of injuries and Sanchez.

I think not playing Tebow is Ryan reinforcing the perception that the problems with the Jets stem from Tannenbaum's personnel decisions: "It's not me, it's these crappy players."

And I'm not sure he's wrong about that either.

My point of view as well.

Also, if Sanchez was bothered by his team going after a 1st ballot Hall of Famer in the off season he needs to retire now and leave the sport. Any idiot knows that if you have ANY chance of landing a Peyton Manning you at least look into it unless your quarterback is also a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 13:02 Creston

From a Simmons article:

For instance, here's an e-mail from Amnon in Bergenfield: "I took my kids to the Jets-Cardinals game. Early in the third quarter a safety announcement played over the PA. It said, 'to report an issue at the stadium text 78247.' My ten-year old daughter turns to me and deadpans, 'Can we report that Sanchez sucks because it is a serious issue at this stadium?'"

Anyway, I gotta say that it's not all Ryan's fault. They try to get Peyton so desperately, basically saying "we're done with Sanchez." While they are doing that, they trade for Tebow (costly trade too), basically saying "Not only are we done with Sanchez, we're not even keeping him as a backup." Then they fail to get Peyton, and give Sanchez a 30 million dollar extension.

What the fuck is Ryan supposed to do? He has Tebow for whom the franchise traded some good stuff, but he can't play him because then he has to sit the guy they just gave 30 million too.

This entire clusterfuck was orchestrated by an absolutely insane GM. of course, said GM will happily keep his job while Ryan gets fired.

Creston

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 11:31  Blue 

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 10:34:
Sanchez is done. I really have no idea what Ryan was up to this year, so many opportunities to let Tebow prove himself after constant Sanchez fuckups. I'm all for loyalty and giving people a chance but Sanchez had enough rope to hang the whole team. Some people have been criticizing their offensive line but I feel like they're doing the best they can in spite of injuries and Sanchez.

I think not playing Tebow is Ryan reinforcing the perception that the problems with the Jets stem from Tannenbaum's personnel decisions: "It's not me, it's these crappy players."

And I'm not sure he's wrong about that either.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

29. Re: Blue's FIOS Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:26:
Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 01:42:
How 'bout them Jets there, Verno! Cheerleading I'm thinking of trying out for the Jets' starting QB position. I couldn't possibly do any worse.

Whip

Giggle

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 10:34 Verno

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

27. Re: Blue's FIOS Dec 18, 2012, 09:46 Prez

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:26:
How 'bout them Jets there, Verno! Cheerleading I'm thinking of trying out for the Jets' starting QB position. I couldn't possibly do any worse.

Whip

Ow! That hurt! I was just funnin' ya.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Blue's FIOS Dec 18, 2012, 09:26 Verno

Whip

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2012, 09:04 Mr. Tact

Just
End
The
Season!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Blue's FIOS Dec 18, 2012, 01:42 Prez

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 01:47.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Blue's FIOS Dec 18, 2012, 00:51 Ant

I still hate you, Blue. I want fiber.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 21:16 mag

Blue wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 19:16:
Hoop wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 15:46:
"there is an odd latency in loading webpages that's gone away since the changeover, which is inexplicable"

Dude you have gone from ADSL to Fibre, inexplicable? .... really?

I went from a 30 Mbps cable modem with a 6 ms ping to a 50 Mbps FiOS connection (still waiting on the 75 Mbps provisioning) with a 6 ms ping. I don't think I was crazy in thinking there would be no perceptible difference in loading websites.

Cable has always had some weird latency things for me compared to DSL. Kinda weird. Like, it takes a while to figure out how to send data or something.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 19:16 Prez

"there is an odd latency in loading webpages that's gone away since the changeover, which is inexplicable"

Heh, yeah I think it's pretty explicable. DSL is notorious for rarely ever coming anywhere close to peak speeds.

EDIT: Wait you said cable modem - I thought you were on DSL. My mistake.

- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 19:16  Blue 

I went from a 30 Mbps cable modem with a 6 ms ping to a 50 Mbps FiOS connection (still waiting on the 75 Mbps provisioning) with a 6 ms ping. I don't think I was crazy in thinking there would be no perceptible difference in loading websites.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 18:28 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 16:54:
I still have 3 copies of DOTA2 to give away. I'd be happy to take an extra copy of Don't Starve for anyone who has one.

Hey Cutter, I DL'd it in Chrome, where you can try the demo for free. Not the full version, but it's pretty cool.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Borderlands 2 Dec 17, 2012, 18:20 nin

jimnms wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:14:
Shift code for 5 (FIVE) keys in BL2: WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB

Thank you, thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Borderlands 2 Dec 17, 2012, 18:14 jimnms

Shift code for 5 (FIVE) keys in BL2: WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB  

Steam Profile

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 16:54 Cutter

I still have 3 copies of DOTA2 to give away. I'd be happy to take an extra copy of Don't Starve for anyone who has one.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 15:46 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 15:30 raVen

I mostly added for ease of searching for those that aren't familiar with them.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 14:47 Creston

raVen wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 13:50:
Blue:
It's quite possible your old DNS servers were slow; and new service with I assume DHCP new DNS servers too that would go away. They might be doing some DNS caching on your router too which can go a long way for initial speed. This is definitely the case if they gave you a new router with your new FiOS connection.

(DNS - Domain Name System :: DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

If you're on cable from a Telco, odds are that they are first routing you to their local cache servers to see if the page you want is available there. This way they avoid having to transfer data on someone else's pipe and owing money.

While in theory it isn't bad, most ISPs have really, REALLY shitty cache servers, that are woefully underpowered. For said servers to figure out whether it has the page or not and to then send you out to the actual internet when it determines it doesn't can easily take one or two seconds.

Often when people experiencing lag when browsing pages, this is the culprit.

You gotta love paying 75 bucks a month for access, and your fucking ISP still trying to nickle and dime you to death.

Creston

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo