Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Crysis Collection
  4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken
  5. Ace of Spades
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  8. Don't Starve
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Borderlands 2

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

104. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2012, 13:03 Ceribaen

Yeah BR on the PC is a mishmash of proprietary software requirements and weird HDCP issues. I spent a bundle putting such a setup together and eventually scrapped it out of frustration. Probably easier to just switch inputs to a player or get a second monitor for movie playback hooked up directly via HDMI. You'll need to worry about sound as well.

Well I'm grabbing a discrete soundcard again, because I've always been a fan of having one over the onboard. We'll see how it goes, I needed an improved DVD player anyway and Newegg twisted my arm by discounting the one I was looking at further.

Just make sure you throw the latest firmware on it after installing, Crucial has a little updater that will automate it for you

So I'm assuming then that the best course of action be to put it in the computer - update the firmware. Then format and install as primary OS drive?

I did end up going for the Crucial drive, and 16GB(4x4) of Mushkin Blackline.

So just the sound and video cards left to acquire, really hoping a GTX660Ti or HD7850 go on sale soon

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

103. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2012, 11:37 Verno

Yeah BR on the PC is a mishmash of proprietary software requirements and weird HDCP issues. I spent a bundle putting such a setup together and eventually scrapped it out of frustration. Probably easier to just switch inputs to a player or get a second monitor for movie playback hooked up directly via HDMI. You'll need to worry about sound as well.

Other part of the question was cost/benefit of doing an upgrade on RAM if I have 6GB currently.

Dual channel kit is the norm these days and ram is super cheap so its really up to you. Anything 4GB+ is going to be fine for gaming and etc. Personally I'm using 8GB.

Probably the Crucial then since I can get it either in Futureshop or online for cheaper than the Intels.

Just make sure you throw the latest firmware on it after installing, Crucial has a little updater that will automate it for you.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

102. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2012, 10:24 Ceribaen

I'm not sure I understand the first question but you can buy different kits, though often times it makes the most sense to buy ram with the same specs to eliminate potential sources of hassle when troubleshooting.

That was sort of where I was going with it. The RAM I have now was a triple channel kit. Wondering if it's alright to buy say... two dual channel kits to hit 16GB rather than having to go for a quad channel kit (mostly because none of the quad channels have free shipping and so two dual channels come in about 10-15 cheaper).

Other part of the question was cost/benefit of doing an upgrade on RAM if I have 6GB currently.

They are both very good drives, I prefer the M4 since its relatively well tested by the community at this point but Intel drives have awesome warranties. Flip a coin.

Probably the Crucial then since I can get it either in Futureshop or online for cheaper than the Intels.

Honestly unless you really want to play back BR on your PC I would skip an optical drive altogether. You can do OS installs from USB media and its significantly faster. Bluray playback on PC is a fucking mess right now due to the licensing and DRM issues. Hard drives are cheap enough again that backing up to BR media doesn't really make much sense either. I tried to do the whole HTPC with BR drive thing and ended up with an HTPC for local media and a PS3 to play back BR discs.

I actually have wanted to be able to play BD on my PC, the PS3 is in an entirely separate room and there's times where it's inconvenient to use vs having playback available in the PC room. I might just go for a regular player instead. I don't even write to DVD most of the time, so really having a writer is overkill.

Thanks for the answers! Also, is Windows8 really as bad as they say it is? Might just get a fresh copy when getting the SSD, in case I have problems locating my Vista x64 disc. That or I'll have to drop 110 on Windows 7 again.

101. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2012, 09:42 Verno

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 09:23:
Not sure if anyone will still check in on this thread...

But one question I had about SDRAM -- can I get two separate 2x4GB kits or do I have to go with 4x4GB kit if I want to go up to 16? (currently have 3x2GB PC3 12800 in the computer now). Would I even see enough of an upgrade to spend the money (~100 with shipping) on that now? Or wait to next year's cycle when I do the CPU/Mobo? Also is there any real difference between Corsair Vengeance and XMS?

I'm not sure I understand the first question but you can buy different kits, though often times it makes the most sense to buy ram with the same specs to eliminate potential sources of hassle when troubleshooting.

Regarding SSD: Newegg.ca has a 120GB Intel 520 on offer for less than a 180GB Intel 330. Or I could go with a Crucial M4 128GB for about 30 bucks less. Is there enough of a difference between them again to be worth spending on?

They are both very good drives, I prefer the M4 since its relatively well tested by the community at this point but Intel drives have awesome warranties. Flip a coin.

Other random accessories I've been wanting forever, going with a XONAR DSX soundcard and a BD player of some sort... looking at the LG 14x Bluray writer (is it worth getting bluray writers right now, or are they in the same crazy phase that DVD had where it took forever to get writeable disks to be readable by everthing?) though again a Boxing Day sale might change my mind.

Honestly unless you really want to play back BR on your PC I would skip an optical drive altogether. You can do OS installs from USB media and its significantly faster. Bluray playback on PC is a fucking mess right now due to the licensing and DRM issues. Hard drives are cheap enough again that backing up to BR media doesn't really make much sense either. I tried to do the whole HTPC with BR drive thing and ended up with an HTPC for local media and a PS3 to play back BR discs.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

100. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2012, 09:23 Ceribaen

Not sure if anyone will still check in on this thread...

But one question I had about SDRAM -- can I get two separate 2x4GB kits or do I have to go with 4x4GB kit if I want to go up to 16? (currently have 3x2GB PC3 12800 in the computer now). Would I even see enough of an upgrade to spend the money (~100 with shipping) on that now? Or wait to next year's cycle when I do the CPU/Mobo? Also is there any real difference between Corsair Vengeance and XMS?

Regarding SSD: Newegg.ca has a 120GB Intel 520 on offer for less than a 180GB Intel 330. Or I could go with a Crucial M4 128GB for about 30 bucks less. Is there enough of a difference between them again to be worth spending on?

Video card I'm going to see which if any of the 7850/660Ti/7950 go on boxing day sales, and then go with the one that catches my eye for features.

Other random accessories I've been wanting forever, going with a XONAR DSX soundcard and a BD player of some sort... looking at the LG 14x Bluray writer (is it worth getting bluray writers right now, or are they in the same crazy phase that DVD had where it took forever to get writeable disks to be readable by everthing?) though again a Boxing Day sale might change my mind.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2012, 09:29.

99. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2012, 10:43 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 19:01:
What I meant was that if you have a SATA 2 motherboard and want to connect your SATA3 SSD drive it will work fine because SATA3 drives are backward compatible.

Okay, that makes sense. Obviously the SSD will only be running at SATA2 speeds, but the bus isn't the bottleneck anyway.

Creston

98. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 20, 2012, 10:42 Creston

InBlack wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 06:37:
Just wanted to chirp in. Finished the build yesterday, went for the Intel 330 SSD and gotta say Im very very impressed. I know that fresh OS installs always feel more responsive but this is just brutal.

The rig boots up in 5 seconds or less, everything went flawlessly with the build & Win7 install (although it took me a while to figure out where how to fasten the SSD to its drive-bay-thingie heh). MW:O online runs without any hickups or slowdowns whatsoever at 1080p with everything maxed.

Im a happy bunny, so thanks for all the advice and help!

Good to hear, man.

Creston

97. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 19, 2012, 14:34 ASeven

A bit off-topic, THQ just filed for bankruptcy.  

96. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 19, 2012, 13:11 Dev

(although it took me a while to figure out where how to fasten the SSD to its drive-bay-thingie heh)
You can buy an adapter to do 2.5" into a 3.5" bay, but since there's no moving parts, some people use zip ties or velcro, or just leave it sitting at the bottom of your case.

95. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 19, 2012, 08:23 SpectralMeat

Just wanted to chirp in. Finished the build yesterday, went for the Intel 330 SSD and gotta say Im very very impressed. I know that fresh OS installs always feel more responsive but this is just brutal.

The rig boots up in 5 seconds or less, everything went flawlessly with the build & Win7 install (although it took me a while to figure out where how to fasten the SSD to its drive-bay-thingie heh). MW:O online runs without any hickups or slowdowns whatsoever at 1080p with everything maxed.

The other wonderful thing with the SSD is that ones you get more stuff on it, it will still just fly, won't slow down like a regular hard drive when it gets full.
I am using the same SSD you have, I have all my stuff installed and it still flies like when it was empty. My boot up time is around 5 seconds as well. Not much difference between waking the computer up from sleep or boot up.

Steam: SpectralMeat

94. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 19, 2012, 06:37 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

93. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 19:41 Dades

siapnar wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:02:
I had that exact PSU do weird things on me recently. It wouldnt boot my new machine (similar to yours) properly, so I upgraded to a Seasonic.
If you find some strange things happening with your PC, test it with different PSU before anything else and see if that OCZ is the culprit.

Yep they're cheap FSP and Sirtec shit sold with an OCZ tag. Makes you wonder why they bought PC & Power and Cooling, no surprise that brand is being run into the ground.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

92. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 19:01 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:32:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:32:
SATA3 drives will work fine with SATA2 mobos.
For SSDs however don't worry about SATA3. If you only have SATA2 mobo that will be fine, you can not tell the difference between 2 and 3 with the SSD drives.

Errr.... Confused

The SATA3 SSDs are massively faster than the SATA2 ones? Or do you mean to get a SATA3 SSD and connect it to a SATA2 port? I don't even know if that'd work, to be honest.

But there is a pretty goshdarn big difference in speed.

Creston

What I meant was that if you have a SATA 2 motherboard and want to connect your SATA3 SSD drive it will work fine because SATA3 drives are backward compatible.
Yes there is a huge difference in speed between SATA2 and 3 but with the SSD drives you will not notice any real world speed difference unless you are transferring large 50-100Gb files back and forth all the time.
Here is a good article on that topic: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

91. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 18:32 Creston

For SSDs however don't worry about SATA3. If you only have SATA2 mobo that will be fine, you can not tell the difference between 2 and 3 with the SSD drives.

Errr.... Confused

The SATA3 SSDs are massively faster than the SATA2 ones? Or do you mean to get a SATA3 SSD and connect it to a SATA2 port? I don't even know if that'd work, to be honest.

But there is a pretty goshdarn big difference in speed.

Creston

90. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 18:28 Creston

InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 07:21:
Ok got an extra unexpected bonus for christmas so an SSD is definitely going in the RIG.

Ive been careful and have chosen the i5 3570K, and a MB with the I77 chipset...

Still the bonus is on the low side so the SSD is definitely going to be on the low 64GB or maybe 128GB side.

So Im open to suggestions, Ive seen people tell me to skip OCZ others swear by it?!

What should I get that is the minnimum hassle to simply plug and play into the SATA cable? I dont want to update firmware or whatever...

Intel. They make the most reliable SSDs. They don't rule in the performance area, but they are the most solid, at least in my experience/knowledge.

Creston

89. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 18:02 siapnar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 04:12:
Hay guys, bought mine recently. Good reference
[url=http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=6&threadid=8&id=795915]here
[/url]
I had that exact PSU do weird things on me recently. It wouldnt boot my new machine (similar to yours) properly, so I upgraded to a Seasonic.
If you find some strange things happening with your PC, test it with different PSU before anything else and see if that OCZ is the culprit.

I have projectile dysfunction.

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 15:39 Ceribaen

Thanks!
Sounds like I can basically upgrade everything around the mobo/cpu with my current computer and then just get a new mobo/cpu to throw everything into next year!

87. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 15:32 SpectralMeat

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 15:24 Ceribaen

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:14:
Ceribaen wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:11:
Do SSD use a different controller than the standard IDE or SATA ports I have?
No, SSDs are SATA
Are the SATA standards backwards compatible also?

Anyway.
Shopping list:
1 SSD ~ 128GB. Avoid OCZ, get Intel if in budget.
1 new video card (might do a 660 or 7850 for budget purposes vs the 660Ti and 7950).
Possibly more RAM (6GB is nice, 16GB would be nicer :):))
Need to verify which slots I still have open to see if maybe I can grab a XONAR sound card as well as currently using onboard, or I see that there are SATA3 PCIe controllers if I wanted to get SATA3.

Sound about right?

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:46 SpectralMeat

Yep I know and this drive I am looking to replace have stuff on it that can be downloaded again so no terrible loss if the drive dies.
I have a NAS with a raid 1 setup where I keep the digital pictures and important backups etc.
Those drives are getting close to 2 years old so I am thinking maybe I should replace those as well just to be safe.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo