Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Crysis Collection
  4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken
  5. Ace of Spades
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  8. Don't Starve
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Borderlands 2

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 00:08 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 22:36:
Its far better to get a SSD (which are becoming increasingly cheaper nowadays)

While I won't disagree about SSD's being better... Hybrids aren't as bad as you think... but I'll get to that in a minute.

The simple thing is that SSD's haven't hit the Price per Gigbyte that I'm willing to pay, yet. They're getting close... but still not there. Coupled with the fact that my old Motherboard can only do 3GB SATA, and I'm not willing to buy a controller card, makes an SSD not so great of a choice for me.

I fully intend to buy a full SSD when I build a new rig... but I'm waiting for Haswell before I do that. And if the SSD prices still aren't where I want them... I may wait for Broadwell.

That said, the second gen 750GB Momentus XT's with 8GB of SLC are very fast indeed. My boot speeds are comparable to SSD's, there's a special new algorithm that keeps the boot files on the SSD, and as long as I'm playing the same game over and over (until I'm done), it is also comparable to SSD's because the most frequently used files are on the SSD portion of the drive's circuit board.

So, for me, it was a better choice at this time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 23:49 Prez

Yeah, I totally passed over "Don't Starve". And for some reason I thought it had already released on Steam, but it's only a live Beta. Something gave me the impression it was just another 2D side-scroller that the indie scene is pumping out by the dozen and I ignored it. I'm glad it got my attention now though - it looks very interesting.

Does that include starve?

I think the title is only a suggestion, so yeah, you can probably starve if you want.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2012, 00:01.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 23:16 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 21:57:
ASeven wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:55:
Don't Starve is quite an amazing little survival game. I recommend it to anyone who loves total freedom to do whatever the hell you want games.

Wow. I had no idea what it was from the Steam video. But I watched a gameplay vid of the start for the first 3 days. Pretty sweet. Going to grab it....as if I need another time sink....

It is a diff version of a Terraria game. I like it.
Here is one of the vids I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENl-89bY0i4

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Another Steam Wonder bundle Dec 16, 2012, 23:07 hoolaparara

Might just be in Australia but

Price of individual games: $8.73 USD
Bundle cost: $9.99 USD

On The Crysis Maximum Edition thing on steam.

In fact its the same thing full price too now I notice.
Crysis is $14.99, Warhead $19.99.. the bundle $39.99!

(and still the cheaper price is more then steamgamesales.com reckon it is going for).

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 22:53 Dev

For those who bought don't starve, anyone still have the 2nd copy? I'll paypal $7 for it.

Here's a WTF is don't starve on the game (from a few months ago before it got to steam)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRFwuo88bDo

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 22:36 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:53:
reinstalled OS and games on Saturday (New hybrid Hard Drive)
In general for desktop usage, hybrid drives aren't worth it. Its far better to get a SSD (which are becoming increasingly cheaper nowadays) for the OS and a few favorite games, and then normal mechanical hdds for bulk storage. Hybrids do increase performance over mechanical, but not nearly as much as an SSD (which nowadays can top out SATA 6g, speaking of which where's the 12g standard??). Plus SSDs are advancing so fast, by the time a hybrid drive is released often the SSDs have gone way past the performance of the internal flash. I've seen 120gb SSDs as low as $50 and 240gb ones as low as $100. I've seen a sale on a 500gb seagate momentus XT 2nd gen hybrid drive for $50, so if I had to choose between the a 500gb hybrid for $50 and a 120gb SSD for $50, I'd choose the SSD anyday for desktop use.

One exception might be a laptop, where you can typically only have 1 drive and SSD might not hold enough for someone's normal usage. I have thought about getting a hybrid drive for my netbook, it has a 320gb drive on it now and that would be an upgrade in both space and performance. It would cost WAY too much to get a SSD larger than that size.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 22:42.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 21:57 Cutter

ASeven wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:55:
Don't Starve is quite an amazing little survival game. I recommend it to anyone who loves total freedom to do whatever the hell you want games.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 21:12 jacobvandy

I had no idea Don't Starve was a free-form, randomly-generated sandbox thing... Bought!  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 20:55 ASeven

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 18:27 Prez

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 17:49:
These can't be the top 10 for the past week... the entire week?

4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken?
8. Don't Starve

People saving their money for the big sale I suppose.

Street fighter was the midweek sale (which lasts from Tuesday afternoon til Friday afternoon it seems), and Don't Starve was a new release, so they are just temporary visitors to the list.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 18:09 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 16:54:
I plan on buying either AC 3 or Far Cry 3 over the Steam Xmas sale. According to some friends here I trust the offline mode works for both, which makes it a go.

FC3 is the first game I've gotten that has Uplay.

The Uplay Offline Mode works fine. I run Steam always offline too. After a login to Uplay once, to activate the game, a checkbox to run in offline mode will be made available.

The left over annoyance is... after you launch the game from a Steam Shortcut... a Uplay web-browser-like window comes up... you have to click Play (again) in that window... then a popup comes up warning that you are in offline mode and certain "features" may be unavailable in the game... and you have to click "Launch Game (Not Recommended)" to continue on.

It is mildly irritating, so I may buy Driver San Francisco later on... and most likely I will get Watch Dogs when it comes out.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 18:26.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 17:49 netnerd85

These can't be the top 10 for the past week... the entire week?

4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken?
8. Don't Starve

People saving their money for the big sale I suppose.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 16:54 Prez

I plan on buying either AC 3 or Far Cry 3 over the Steam Xmas sale. According to some friends here I trust the offline mode works for both, which makes it a go. I can put up with the annoyance of having another service launch after Steam like I do for the unfortunate games that are still saddled with the execrable GFWL - as long as the games are good I can put up with a lot of annoyance. I will never tolerate always-on DRM however.

And before anyone starts trying to compare Steam to always online again, I use Steam in offline mode all of the time, and when I am online I have never once lost game progress due to my internet crapping out.

- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 16:18 PHJF

Where's AC3?? FC3 looks so amazing but i still have some hype for AC3

Are you kidding, with that damn Ubi DRM who is gonna bu...oh wait a second...

Probably has more to do with PC AC3 having been delayed three weeks, plus the fact AC3 was just on sale on either console for $33 while PC was still $50.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 15:12 Gipson

Where's AC3?? FC3 looks so amazing but i still have some hype for AC3... heres to hoping for a discount in the xmas sale.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:53 wtf_man

Just got Far Cry 3 on Friday... reinstalled OS and games on Saturday (New hybrid Hard Drive), and been playing FC3 all morning. Enjoying it so far. Definitely has that "Skyrim with Guns" feel.

Edit: *covers his crotch*

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:43 Paranoid Jack

Almost wished I would have bought something other than FC3. I'm having fun with it on occasion but its an arcade shooter that screams console port to PC.
/rant on
Wide-screen support seems an after thought... since its not true wide-screen being displayed. Even with FOV to 110 it feels as if you are playing inside a box with an overly large HUD even on high resolutions. The cut scenes and door interactions take you out of the action breaking the immersion. Why do so many developers feel its a good idea to have the characters view swaying all over like he is drunk? It ends up making me sick. If I were playing it as a console game and viewing it from across the living-room that wouldn't be an issue. But I am not. Whoever called this Skyrim with Guns should receive a hard swift kick in the crotch.
/rant off

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:37 SpectralMeat

tomigun wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:30:
And not surprisingly dissapointed by Far cry 3
Trailers never did anything for me, and after forcing myself to play for 3 hours I just could not get into it.
Why did you even bother buying it then?

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:30 tomigun

Surprised by dishonoured as well

And not surprisingly dissapointed by Far cry 3
Trailers never did anything for me, and after forcing myself to play for 3 hours I just could not get into it. No Prone. No lean. Draw distance is strange, (jarring break between distant static landscape and immediate surrounding, try using your binocs..)
Maybe just too arcady for my likings seems a lot of people enjoy it and it's received stellar reviews.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:20 yuastnav

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 13:43:
[...]
1. Dishonored: I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I have been. This game is OUTSTANDING & worthy of your time & money. The story is pretty decent & the game play mechanics are solid & fun.
[...]

I was surprised by this, too.
I thought that I would be playing this like all the older Splinter Cell games, i.e. just knock out every guard and roam the map/level freely.
But because of all the cool abilities they give you I am actually able to restrain me and try to figure out patrol routes and go through the level undetected and without knocking out/killing as few people as possible.
I'm definitely enjoying this game more than I have anticipated.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo