Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Crysis Collection
  4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken
  5. Ace of Spades
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  8. Don't Starve
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Borderlands 2

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:09 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 09:57:
Made it 7 days on my first try of Don't Starve. Was walking along and some HUGE OWL looking thing just ran at me and pecked me 1x. Dead. WTF!?!?!? hahahahah
How do you guys play that game already Steam page says coming in March 2013?

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:07 SpectralMeat

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 09:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 08:30:
Anyone interested in picking up FarCry3 for $29 (not Steam version) head over here: http://tinyurl.com/d8g3kep
Some other pretty good deals here: http://www.g2play.net/store/home.php
Looks like a dodgy website.

It is fine. Some people are talking about it here: http://tinyurl.com/c6jaoyr
If you are worried about the site you can wait for the Steam Christmas sale however I doubt they will discount FarCry3 that much.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 09:57 xXBatmanXx

Made it 7 days on my first try of Don't Starve. Was walking along and some HUGE OWL looking thing just ran at me and pecked me 1x. Dead. WTF!?!?!? hahahahah  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 09:52 netnerd85

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 08:30:
Anyone interested in picking up FarCry3 for $29 (not Steam version) head over here: http://tinyurl.com/d8g3kep
Looks like a dodgy website.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 09:29 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 03:50:
1. SSD's are they really worth it? They seem too damn expensive ATM and besides RAM is so cheap wouldnt that just be overkill? (Boottimes are not important for me)

They are not at all expensive anymore and they are absolutely worth every penny. Avoid OCZ (highest return rates, constant firmware issues and poor support) and other cheap brands. I'd go with something like a Crucial M4 or a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drive.

You don't need an i7, you can't future proof computer shit anymore so its pointless trying and the extremely minimal gains from going to an i7 could be made up in light overclocking. Save yourself some money.

Get a used 560 Ti off ebay or get a 660Ti.

PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, wattage itself is unimportant though. Get a quality PSU at or around 400-500W, Corsair sells rebadged Seasonic PSUs which are outstanding. Again avoid anything OCZ, their PSUs have the highest defect/RMA rates.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 08:59 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 05:54:
Dev wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 04:42:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 04:09:
ummm, did you guys notice that Don't Starve is a 2 pack? FYI.

I have an extra copy.
That would be why I was asking for one earlier
I'd like that copy if its still avail, msg me your paypal on steam and I'll send $7 your way.

Hay, hit me up later, I am still at work. I will be home in a few hours.
Sent

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 08:30 SpectralMeat

With that said I finally got around to try Tropico4 (I know I know I am really late from this party) and I am liking it a lot. Have it on my wishlist, hoping for a good deal on it @ the Steam Christmas sale. I remember seeing it on sale quiet a bit.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 06:23 InBlack

Thanks for the info Dev, I dont want to skimp on the CPU which is why I would got for the i7, the card is ATI HD 6870 which is more than capable of anything thrown at it so far and I can always upgrade it in a few years time if the need arises.

My current CPU (Core2Quad) is struggling with some flightsims and MWO, and Im thinking of all these newfangled PC titles which are coming in 2013 and 2014 (such as the new Chris Roberts game) which all seem to be rather heavily CPU bound from what Ive read.

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 05:58 netnerd85

What have I done...  

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 05:54 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 04:42:

I have an extra copy.
I'd like that copy if its still avail, msg me your paypal on steam and I'll send $7 your way.

Hay, hit me up later, I am still at work. I will be home in a few hours.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 05:05 Dev

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 03:50:
Im thinking of diving in and buying a new rig, my girlfriend's daughter is in for a surprise this christmas as she will be inheriting my old rig which is her first desktop and a not too shabby one if I might say so myself. I might as well ask a few questions here:

1. SSD's are they really worth it? They seem too damn expensive ATM and besides RAM is so cheap wouldnt that just be overkill? (Boottimes are not important for me)

2. Im definitely getting the i7 its going to be the most expensive part of the rig, any suggestions so I dont go overkill seeing as its basically going to be obsolete tech next year?

3. Im going to actually keep my old video card and stick it in the new machine as Im happy with it and so far nothing has brought it to its knees. (The really taxing stuff has been on my CPU). Any suggestions on a cheap vid card to replace it in the old rig? (GF's daughter doesnt really game except for the really casual stuff)

4. Powersupply?! How much do I really need?
1) At $50 for a 120gb SSD, its not too expensive IMHO. Don't use it as your main storage, only use it for OS, your programs, and a few favorite games. Get a normal HDD for the rest.

2) Get the cheapest, since it will be overkill for most stuff anyway (unless you have a specific need for more). If you live near a Microcenter, get the CPU from them. They have a habit of selling the CPU's as a loss leader (sometimes $50 less than best price online), to try and get you to buy the other parts from them.
Also, consider a i5. Nowadays there's very little difference between them. Cheapest i5 is about $200 vs cheapest i7 of about $300.

3) Watch slickdeals for a sale with rebate, or just hit up newegg for something cheap. $30ish will get a minimally capable video card.

4) Entirely up to you and how much you put into the rig. Whats your current video card? If its a QUALITY power supply, and you dont do things like SLI, its likely you won't need more than 500 watts. Most of those reccomendations for like 750 watt PSUs are because the average 750 watt power supplies suck so bad, then can't go over 500 watts without blowing out. And poor quality power supplies skimp on the load capacity of the 12v line which is the MOST used in your system (mobo, cpu, vid card, etc most of it runs from that nowadays). Most modern systems run under 100 watts when idling, unless they are loaded with expensive stuff. It won't hurt to get a larger PSU, but its better to buy a quality PSU than just randomly picking one that has larger capacity. Quality PSU's also tend to come with good warranties, such as 3 year or 5 year.

A common misconception is that the power supply rating is how much it uses. No, it only uses what it needs, the power supply rating is the MAX available to use.

If you want to get technical, you can get the TDP figures from CPU and graphics card and easily estimate how much 12v amps you need. For instance, if the CPU is 80 watts TDP (which is an actual example from a i7), then thats 80/12=7A. Then perhaps the GPU is 160 watts TDP (which is an actual example from the geforce 460 fermi), so its 160/12=14A. So you'd need probably a 30A capacity on the 12v line which would be something like a 450 watt quality PSU.

Edit:
http://www.freeshippingday.com/
Looks like monday a lot of merchants are doing free shipping.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2012, 05:14.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 04:42 Dev

I have an extra copy.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 04:09 xXBatmanXx

I have an extra copy.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 03:56 Prez

Well I can answer the SSD question at least because I just built a rig with one - a 128 GB I got for $85 from Amazon. I installed the OS and all of the everyday use programs like PDF reader, office suite, music recording software, etc. and used the E:drive (my DVD is the D:drive) to put all of my games and big files on. It is noticeably faster when starting programs and games, and the boot time is much zippier (15 seconds as opposed to 45 seconds of my last system). It's not earth-shattering or anything, so I'd say that while it's nice to have it isn't essential.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 03:50 InBlack

Im thinking of diving in and buying a new rig, my girlfriend's daughter is in for a surprise this christmas as she will be inheriting my old rig which is her first desktop and a not too shabby one if I might say so myself. I might as well ask a few questions here:

2. Im definitely getting the i7 its going to be the most expensive part of the rig, any suggestions so I dont go overkill seeing as its basically going to be obsolete tech next year?

3. Im going to actually keep my old video card and stick it in the new machine as Im happy with it and so far nothing has brought it to its knees. (The really taxing stuff has been on my CPU). Any suggestions on a cheap vid card to replace it in the old rig? (GF's daughter doesnt really game except for the really casual stuff)

4. Powersupply?! How much do I really need?

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 03:45 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 02:28:
Something gave me the impression it was just another 2D side-scroller that the indie scene is pumping out by the dozen and I ignored it.

I still don't understand why you immediately dismiss any 2D indie game simply because of its perspective. Just because a game is 2D and features a scrolling camera doesn't automatically make it a platformer. It would be akin to dismissing every first-person game as a shooter. Perspective is simply perspective, no more, no less.

I just don't like sidescrollers. They are confining, rigid, and dull as a rule. There's no immersion, no sense of place. I don't see the world that way - there is no wonder or discovery in a 2D world I can only see from the side as compared to a 3D world I can be put into and surrounded by. Even old 2D sprite games like 'No Remorse' are infinitely more enjoyable than the best modern day sidescroller. Any sidescroller I have ever played has bored me to tears in short order and only made me think it would be vastly more enjoyable and immersive as a 3D world. I don't know why I'm that way, but I just am.

If I ever play another 2D sidescroller again it will be too soon.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 02:28 Jerykk

Something gave me the impression it was just another 2D side-scroller that the indie scene is pumping out by the dozen and I ignored it.

I still don't understand why you immediately dismiss any 2D indie game simply because of its perspective. Just because a game is 2D and features a scrolling camera doesn't automatically make it a platformer. It would be akin to dismissing every first-person game as a shooter. Perspective is simply perspective, no more, no less.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 01:06 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 00:08:
The simple thing is that SSD's haven't hit the Price per Gigbyte that I'm willing to pay, yet. They're getting close... but still not there. Coupled with the fact that my old Motherboard can only do 3GB SATA, and I'm not willing to buy a controller card, makes an SSD not so great of a choice for me.
I mentioned prices, for the same $50 for the 500 gb hybrid, one could get a 120gb SSD. Thats under 50 cents a GB which is lower than the raptors used to be, they used to be like $1 per GB.

Also about controller card, if you end up thinking about that route probably not worth the bother. Majority of lower priced controller cards are based on that marvell chipset, which can't top 6g SATA. The lowest priced controller card that can do full 6g bandwidth are raid cards that run at least $100 (and thats if you get them used). That includes mobos with SATA 6g based on marvell chipset. From what I've seen Marvell at best does around 4.5g SATA speeds on the SATA 6g chips.

But yes, I can see the increased draw of a hybrid if you don't have a intel SATA 6g.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 00:50 jacobvandy

I keep getting into trouble and dying by very un-natural causes, lol... This last time, I made it 11 days before I did something too stupid, though!  

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 00:10 Techie714

rrr  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer