Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Crysis Collection
  4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken
  5. Ace of Spades
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  8. Don't Starve
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Borderlands 2

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 14:59 Verno

Steam now supports multiple paths for game installs in the official client as well, its kind of hidden in the settings but its there.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 14:56 Creston

Dev wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:46:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:01:
As a stepping stone, I don't fathom the work of manually moving my games to and from an SSD to a hard drive... especially if it requires re-installation of the game.
Thats when windows symbolic junction type links comes in handy. Move a folder, and link to the new place. Nothing will ever know its been moved.
Also a way to move steam folders around.

No need for junctions with Steam.

- Move Steam folder.
- Reinstall Steam and point to new folder.
- Profit!

Creston

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 14:54 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:55:
Yeah, the speed up in seek times alone is worth the money. Sure Windows 7 is pretty aggressive with memory caching but it's still a poor substitute for an SSD. All of the dumb little things that bog down your day are now instant.

I have to gnash my teeth when I'm at work and working on a normal hard disk. Especially when it's a laptop HD at 5400RPM (my company spares NO MONEY in making sure our users get top notch performance! Rolleyes )

The first thing I did with my work desktop was put an SSD in. For "testing purposes." Fuck that HD noise.

Creston

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 14:52 Creston

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:28:
Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:10:

Core i5-3570k if you want to overclock, non K version if you don't. Asus P8Z77-V LX would be my mobo pick.

Hmm.
I might be in the market for a new desktop myself -- so watching this all with interest. Last desktop is a few years old so pretty sure I'm going to start from scratch on this one and donate the old one to a friend in need (it still probably can run everything I want to use it for so definitely good enough for the friend, just want something that can do all that at max settings again!)

What graphics cards are we looking at these days for price/performance? I'll admit generally in the past I've been more a fan of AMD/ATI -- but it seems from browsing stories they're on the ropes these days.

And the other silly question is, how much and which type of RAM anymore (DDR3-1066 all the way up to 2666 -- which one is the value point at)? I've really let myself out of the hardware loop, used a laptop for the last year now to game on.

For graphics, I think the sweet spot is currently the GTX660ti. It runs everything I play at maximum detail on 1080p without any hickups of any kind anywhere.

As for memory, eh, it's so cheap right now that the "sweet spot" is kind of hard to determine. If another memory is a bit faster and costs 5 bucks more, is it worth it to skimp on the 5 bucks? I typically figure out the motherboard first, then read reviews to see if people have issues with any type of memory with it. Often if multiple reviewers are saying they use memory type ABC with that particular motherboard, I'll write that type down, and check the reviews on it.

If it all comes back good, I just go with that.

I'd get yourself at least 8, and possibly 16GB of RAM. If you get 16, I'd advice investing in low/short form factor RAM (ie, the DIMM is noticeably lower than the normal ones), so you don't run into an issue with the fourth DIMM not fitting because your CPU cooler is in the way. Why mobo manufacturers still insist on putting the fucking memory right next to the CPU socket is beyond me. (Yes, I know it's for latency, but from a system building perspective it's literally the WORST place it can be. If they'd just rotate it 90 degrees, the whole problem would go away...)

Creston

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:59 PHJF

What graphics cards are we looking at these days for price/performance?

nvidia 660. nvidia's x60 line is generally always the best price/performance.

Power consumption hasn't seen a drastic rise. GPUs use a smidge more. Maybe some of the extra i7 power usage comes from shifting some motherboard functions onto the CPU (like memory and PCIe controllers), but even still, we're talking like 50, 100 tops more wattage over a Q6600. Nothing to write home about.

I would maybe consider 600-700W for a new i7, single-gpu system.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:46 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:01:
As a stepping stone, I don't fathom the work of manually moving my games to and from an SSD to a hard drive... especially if it requires re-installation of the game.
Thats when windows symbolic junction type links comes in handy. Move a folder, and link to the new place. Nothing will ever know its been moved.
Also a way to move steam folders around.

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 Verno

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:28:
What graphics cards are we looking at these days for price/performance? I'll admit generally in the past I've been more a fan of AMD/ATI -- but it seems from browsing stories they're on the ropes these days.

If you don't do high res (higher than 1080p) or multi-mon then I'm personally a fan of single card solutions, less compatibility problems and its a far more valid upgrade path (the cost of adding another card later is often close to the price of a new gen anyway). I don't have any particular brand loyalty but IMHO the best price to performance is probably a 670 (a bit overkill but as close to future proofing as you can get) on rebate if you game at ~1080p with details dialed up or a 660 Ti if you don't. If you want AMD then it's the 7870 or 7950, whatever you can find cheaper. Tech Report and SA have good guides on this, too often you get forum sperges with outlandish configs trying to act like their needs will fit everyone so I usually consult those sites.

And the other silly question is, how much and which type of RAM anymore (DDR3-1066 all the way up to 2666 -- which one is the value point at)? I've really let myself out of the hardware loop, used a laptop for the last year now to game on.

1333 is the sweet spot, the performance gains from anything else are negligible.

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:29 Jerykk

PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, wattage itself is unimportant though. Get a quality PSU at or around 400-500W, Corsair sells rebadged Seasonic PSUs which are outstanding. Again avoid anything OCZ, their PSUs have the highest defect/RMA rates.

*shrugs*

I've been using OCZ PSUs for years and only had one RMA. Also, I definitely recommend more than 400-500W. If you want to future-proof your system, I recommend 1000W. You never know when you might want to throw in an extra videocard or two.

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 12:28 Ceribaen

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 11:10:

Core i5-3570k if you want to overclock, non K version if you don't. Asus P8Z77-V LX would be my mobo pick.

Hmm.
I might be in the market for a new desktop myself -- so watching this all with interest. Last desktop is a few years old so pretty sure I'm going to start from scratch on this one and donate the old one to a friend in need (it still probably can run everything I want to use it for so definitely good enough for the friend, just want something that can do all that at max settings again!)

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 11:55 Verno

Yeah, the speed up in seek times alone is worth the money. Sure Windows 7 is pretty aggressive with memory caching but it's still a poor substitute for an SSD. All of the dumb little things that bog down your day are now instant.  

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 11:45 Creston

The biggest upgrade you can make to a computer is go from a HD to an SSD. Two hours with an SSD, and you will never, EVER want to go back to a spinning disk. Use it for boot only if you're on a budget, in which case a 64GB SSD will work fine if you're careful with what all junk you install on C (ie, if possible, install stuff elsewhere, though not everything always lets you choose).

128GB will free you of those worries, and it's definitely well worth it. Makes sure to get one of the fast ones too. Then just be aware of what an SSD entails. It doesn't really necessarily boot Windows that much faster. But once you've logged on, your desktop and all your programs are available in seconds. All that old bullshit of watching the cursor spin for two minutes while Windows loads all those shitty services? Over. They all still load, but they load in the blink of an eye.

Then just go nuts and open like 15 programs in a row. As fast as you can click them, they open. No more "click Word. Wait twelve seconds. Word opens. Click Excel. Wait 15 seconds. Excel opens."

It's literally pop pop pop pop pop.

God bless the man who invented the SSD.

Creston

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 11:10 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:19:
Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 09:29:
InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 03:50:
1. SSD's are they really worth it? They seem too damn expensive ATM and besides RAM is so cheap wouldnt that just be overkill? (Boottimes are not important for me)

They are not at all expensive anymore and they are absolutely worth every penny. Avoid OCZ (highest return rates, constant firmware issues and poor support) and other cheap brands. I'd go with something like a Crucial M4 or a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drive.

You don't need an i7, you can't future proof computer shit anymore so its pointless trying and the extremely minimal gains from going to an i7 could be made up in light overclocking. Save yourself some money.

Get a used 560 Ti off ebay or get a 660Ti.

PSU is something you don't want to skimp on, wattage itself is unimportant though. Get a quality PSU at or around 400-500W, Corsair sells rebadged Seasonic PSUs which are outstanding. Again avoid anything OCZ, their PSUs have the highest defect/RMA rates.

You cant just leave me hanging like that dude?!
Ok so i7 is overkill, what to buy then? There seem to be a myrad of i5's out there so what would be a good upgrade.

(Current setup is a Core2Quad E8300 3,01Ghz)

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 11:01 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 05:05:
1) At $50 for a 120gb SSD, its not too expensive IMHO.

I agree that price is good for a low end 120GB. Unfortunately that price doesn't apply to the top performing 500+ Giggers. When they reach being below 50 cents a Gig, then I think they will be worth it... and by then I will have a rig capable of 6GB SATA.

As a stepping stone, I don't fathom the work of manually moving my games to and from an SSD to a hard drive... especially if it requires re-installation of the game. I'd rather just have a big SSD, a 40GB partiton for the OS and minor apps, and another partition for my games. That's another reason a hybrid works for me, for now.

I'm betting that when Haswell comes out... Top performing Large SSD's will be pretty close to 50 cents a Gig.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:44 mch

Funny, I just had a cheapo PSU explode on me Friday night. Somehow I lucked out and it didn't take anything else with it.

PSN: CaseDesignate

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:36 Dev

Get a quality PSU at or around 400-500W, Corsair sells rebadged Seasonic PSUs which are outstanding. Again avoid anything OCZ, their PSUs have the highest defect/RMA rates.
I agree with this. I have a seasonic, they are awesome.

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:21 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:12:
Pre-Purchase Now and gain instant access to the Beta on Steam!

Thanks, missed that

Steam: SpectralMeat

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:19 InBlack

InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 03:50:
1. SSD's are they really worth it? They seem too damn expensive ATM and besides RAM is so cheap wouldnt that just be overkill? (Boottimes are not important for me)

They are not at all expensive anymore and they are absolutely worth every penny. Avoid OCZ (highest return rates, constant firmware issues and poor support) and other cheap brands. I'd go with something like a Crucial M4 or a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos drive.

You don't need an i7, you can't future proof computer shit anymore so its pointless trying and the extremely minimal gains from going to an i7 could be made up in light overclocking. Save yourself some money.

Get a used 560 Ti off ebay or get a 660Ti.

You cant just leave me hanging like that dude?!
Ok so i7 is overkill, what to buy then? There seem to be a myrad of i5's out there so what would be a good upgrade.

(Current setup is a Core2Quad E8300 3,01Ghz)

I have a nifty blue line!

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:13 ASeven

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:11:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:09:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 09:57:
Made it 7 days on my first try of Don't Starve. Was walking along and some HUGE OWL looking thing just ran at me and pecked me 1x. Dead. WTF!?!?!? hahahahah
How do you guys play that game already Steam page says coming in March 2013?

Pre-Purchase Offer

Honestly the game is kinda meh though, gets old fast.

They do add major features every two weeks though so until the release date this game will grow, hopefully you'll enjoy it at release date.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:12 nin

Made it 7 days on my first try of Don't Starve. Was walking along and some HUGE OWL looking thing just ran at me and pecked me 1x. Dead. WTF!?!?!? hahahahah

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 Verno

Pre-Purchase Offer

Honestly the game is kinda meh though, gets old fast.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo