Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Crysis Collection
  4. Street Fighter vs. Tekken
  5. Ace of Spades
  6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  7. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  8. Don't Starve
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Borderlands 2

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 Verno

No worries, just keep in mind all drives die regardless of price, backups are important for stuff you care about. $90-100 for a 3TB is a hell of a bargain so if you see a Seagate or WD at that price I wouldn't hesitate.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:36 SpectralMeat

Thanks Verno

I've been a WD fanboy in the past 10 or so years. My 4.5 years old 500 Gb black drive died (it was in raid 0) and I got a 1Tb as a replacement from WD.
I might just go for the red WD drive then, I like the Seagate pricing but on the other hand hard drives aren't something I should cheap out on I guess.
I currently have a 1Tb and it is getting full with the games and software and the price difference is so little between the 2-3Tb that it makes sense to just go for the 3Tb.
Hope boxing day sales will bring the red prices down a bit.

Steam: SpectralMeat

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:22 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:14:
What do you guys think of the 3Tb Seagate drives? The ones with the 1Tb discs. I am considering picking one up for my storage drive where all my Steam games and software is installed (I use an SSD for the OS).

They're pretty nice if you can get them on sale. The WD Red drives are better, they use less power, are much faster and run a bit cooler but they're also more expensive and rarely on deep sale. A buddy of mine got 5 of Seagate drives in the Black Friday sale for $90 a pop, he runs his NAS off them and says they're good so far. I would be worried about the warranty as my anecdotal experience has been that Seagate stuff tends to die just out of warranty but that's a really limited sample size so take it with a grain of salt

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:14 SpectralMeat

What do you guys think of the 3Tb Seagate drives? The ones with the 1Tb discs. I am considering picking one up for my storage drive where all my Steam games and software is installed (I use an SSD for the OS).  

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 12:04 Verno

Dev wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:39:
Also, 5400 green hdds aren't the super slow things of yesteryear anymore.

I was referring to the drive more than the actual spindle speed. The plaster density doesn't make up the difference, they still have very slow seek times and poor burst performance so while they are faster than previous years (what isn't?) they are still much slower *Black type drives. They're engineered that way, WD especially segments their lines pretty heavily these days. Their sustained performance is nothing to write home about either. They are great for mass storage, I have 4 of them in an array for my movies/TV but even a Caviar Black puts them to shame for everyday use, let alone an SSD.

Either way its a moot point, an SSD for OS use is going to be a big upgrade compared to a storage drive or a "performance" drive.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 12:11.

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 11:39 Dev

If money is tight, watch front page of slickdeals for SSD sales, thats when you can get the $50 for 120gb price.

Also, 5400 green hdds aren't the super slow things of yesteryear anymore. Modern hard drives of whatever RPM are pretty nimble things, simply because of platter density increases. I still wouldn't use one for OS drive though.

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 10:27 Verno

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 10:19:
Not sure what I could get for an upgrade though on a PCIe 2.0 bus? For some reason I think that was also when AMD especially was starting to redo its card numbering convention again and there were a couple generations of HD 4xxx cards?

PCIe is backwards compatible and very few things are bus limited right now. A 4850 to a GeForce 660Ti or Radeon 7950 would be a big upgrade. Your CPU is still a good enough performer for most of the console ports we see and shouldhold you over until the next Intel platform lands in Q1 2013. Some overclocking would see noticeable improvements in some of the newer games from this year though.

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 10:19 Ceribaen

Verno wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:39:
So I fired up the old desktop and took a look at what I actually had in it... Might be in better shape than I thought, though I think an SSD might be desireable after all the talk here and dealing with a lot of HD chugging as it was going through all the windows updates

Motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. So PCIe 2.0 for graphics, LGA1366 for CPU.
CPU is an i7 920, so I think it's actually in reasonable shape still.
Graphics is a Radeon HD 4850(pretty sure it's a 50 off memory... definitely was a relatively powerful card at time of purchase).
Have 6GB RAM, though not sure if it's 1066 or 1333 though. Looks like I still can upgrade here if I'd like.
HD is a 1TB drive, but pretty sure that it was a Caviar Green.

So I guess my main area to upgrade is the HD. Do SSD use a different controller than the standard IDE or SATA ports I have?

I would upgrade the videocard and the hard drive to an SSD, running Windows 7 on a 5400 RPM drive must be...interesting Everything else you can probably hold over until Haswell or whatever it's called.

I was going off memory, it may have been a Caviar Black... Pretty sure I would have grabbed a 7200rpm at a minimum, vaguely remember looking at 10k drives at the time I was building it.

Is actually running Vista Business 64-bit on that machine currently.

Not sure what I could get for an upgrade though on a PCIe 2.0 bus? For some reason I think that was also when AMD especially was starting to redo its card numbering convention again and there were a couple generations of HD 4xxx cards?

Freed up 200GB on the drive last night deleting a bunch of Steam games I don't play currently, going to install something more recent (BL2, Dishonored, or Skyrim) to see how it fares.

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 09:39 Verno

So I fired up the old desktop and took a look at what I actually had in it... Might be in better shape than I thought, though I think an SSD might be desireable after all the talk here and dealing with a lot of HD chugging as it was going through all the windows updates

Graphics is a Radeon HD 4850(pretty sure it's a 50 off memory... definitely was a relatively powerful card at time of purchase).
Have 6GB RAM, though not sure if it's 1066 or 1333 though. Looks like I still can upgrade here if I'd like.

So I guess my main area to upgrade is the HD. Do SSD use a different controller than the standard IDE or SATA ports I have?

I would upgrade the videocard and the hard drive to an SSD, running Windows 7 on a 5400 RPM drive must be...interesting Everything else you can probably hold over until Haswell or whatever it's called.

75. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 09:38 Verno

InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 07:21:
So Im open to suggestions, Ive seen people tell me to skip OCZ others swear by it?!

What should I get that is the minnimum hassle to simply plug and play into the SATA cable? I dont want to update firmware or whatever...

Updating firmware is a fact of life with SSDs, sometimes it is just required if you bought a drive that didn't ship with the latest. Most have a Windows utility that reboots the system and automates it for you. OCZ has a well deserved poor reputation in the SSD world, they were caught using low quality NAND, they've had so many firmware issues I've lost count and they have the highest RMA rate in the industry (5% double any other competitor). I have nothing against OCZ, they are just kinda dodgy. When they improve I would happily recommend them. You will always get someone with their own anecdote about how they have one and its fine blah blah blah but looking at the overall picture there are better companies to put your money toward.

Also don't get a 64GB ssd, you will regret it. Windows 7/8 can bloat up to ~25GB and after pagefile/etc it might feel pretty tight. You will want some space for installed programs and even a few games. Having BF3 installed on an SSD is the difference between 15 second map loads or never getting a vehicle due to waiting 45+ seconds A 120GB SSD gives you some breathing room and isn't much more money.

This is a good drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318

So is this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 (needs latest firmware)

Intel also has some good SSD products, most are using other companies controllers these days but they have very good warranties.

But everyone experiences a lemon from time to time so YMMV.

Good luck with the build!

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 09:48.

74. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 09:14 SpectralMeat

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 09:11:
Do SSD use a different controller than the standard IDE or SATA ports I have?
No, SSDs are SATA

73. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 Ceribaen

72. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 08:53 SpectralMeat

I am using Intel 330 series and very happy with it. My college has OCZ and he went through a few of them already in the past year or so.  

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 07:21 InBlack

Ok got an extra unexpected bonus for christmas so an SSD is definitely going in the RIG.

Ive been careful and have chosen the i5 3570K, and a MB with the I77 chipset...

Still the bonus is on the low side so the SSD is definitely going to be on the low 64GB or maybe 128GB side.

So Im open to suggestions, Ive seen people tell me to skip OCZ others swear by it?!

What should I get that is the minnimum hassle to simply plug and play into the SATA cable? I dont want to update firmware or whatever...

I have a nifty blue line!

70. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 05:36 Dev

Verno wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:59:
Steam now supports multiple paths for game installs in the official client as well, its kind of hidden in the settings but its there.
Only with games that have had the data files redone (the kidna thing that makes you redownload anywhere from 1 meg to multiple gigs to reinstall the game). All other steam games you can't do it with.

69. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 04:12 xXBatmanXx

Hay guys, bought mine recently. Good reference
[url=http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=6&threadid=8&id=795915]here
[/url]

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2012, 04:24.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 18, 2012, 03:28 InBlack

Thanks for all the help guys, going shopping soon  

I have a nifty blue line!

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 23:00 Dades

siapnar wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 18:50:
All this talk about SSD, what do you guys think of hybrid SSD?
I bought a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb for like 90 bucks and it seems to perform just like an SSD apart from data transfer.
I think it's a good trade off considering the price, as well

They used to have a price niche but these days they are just really mediocre overall. The prices on real SSDs are so low that it removes the only real attraction to one of those hybrid things. People who want the extra storage won't be impressed with the slow sustained transfer rates and the performance out of cache is awful.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

66. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 18:50 siapnar

All this talk about SSD, what do you guys think of hybrid SSD?
I bought a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb for like 90 bucks and it seems to perform just like an SSD apart from data transfer.
I think it's a good trade off considering the price, as well

I went from an E8500 with GTX 570 to a 3570k and the difference is night and day.
I just bought a Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO R2 cooler so I can OC the hell out of my CPU.
I have an ASrock z77 extreme 3 and its been great so far.

PHJF wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:59:
I would maybe consider 600-700W for a new i7, single-gpu system.
I run a Seasonic X-series 660w with no problems running a 3570k and 570 OC with 16gb RAM.
Highly recommend a good brand PSU like Seasonic or higher class Corsair

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2012, 18:56.

I have projectile dysfunction.

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 15:44 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:56:
No need for junctions with Steam.

- Move Steam folder.
- Reinstall Steam and point to new folder.
- Profit!

Creston

Can't do that if your Steam Library is bigger than the cheap 128GB SSD... and mine is.

Also... not all my games are bought from Steam.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo