Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 10:28 Axis

That article is written by a nubhammer.

The difference is the E-INK. Tablets are complete shit compared to E-INK displays for reading.

The only problem is that my old Kindle still works quickly and flawlessly for reading books - no need to 'upgrade' something used to just read books.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 09:31 Verno

Reading on a tablet sucks, give me a dedicated e-reader every time.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

22. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 09:16 avianflu

the super glossy glass on tablets is terrible for actually sitting down and reading a book. e-readers for the most part have a matte finish.

This is one of those practical points that tech reviewers dont even mention in their reviews of new tablets.

21. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 06:19 Julio

Epub/Mobi are pretty much the only useful formats out there (Mobi for amazon, Epub for everyone else) and its pretty easy to convert between them. Also nice that libraries carry some ebooks...  

20. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 00:27 Tehol

e-reader for reading books. if the industry can sort out the drm stuff that would be nice. tablets are heavy if you read two or three hours on one stretch but if you are casual reader then i guess it 's not a issue.

one improvement or innovation i am looking forward to is color e-ink and i want an end to format war that is going on, either make the e-reader compatible with epub, mobi and whatever format out there or adopt an industry standard.

19. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 23:46 Mashiki Amiketo

Tablets won't kill off e-readers until they have the same battery life they do. Right now my kobo takes around 3 weeks before needing a charge, when I'm reading it for around 4-5 hours a day. My mom's vox has to be charged daily, and she's reading it for 5-7 hours, with most of the power hungry features turned off. Plus I find the e-ink much easier on the eyes.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Reading... Dec 16, 2012, 21:54 Cutter

Ant wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:46:
nin wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:35:
Ant wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:27:
Bah to digital books. Go old school paper books! Wait, bah to reading.

I love hardbacks, but they eventually start taking up too much room. I've had my kindle (which I love) for over a year, and don't think I've bought an actual "book" since.

Don't keep books.

Apart from a few personal faves and cooking related stuff I give/gift the rest away all the time. Not to mention ebooks are a ripoff. Thanks but I'll go to a lieberry tomorry instead.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 21:28 Ant

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 21:26:
I want a full color tablet/reader/whatever that's about 9x12 for less than $250. When that comes out I'll consider replacing my real books. Maybe. I mean, real books take up a lot of room but there's still something nice about them that readers don't have.

The smell/odor, textures, papers, designs, no power, last very long time, no DRM!!!, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 21:26 Silicon Avatar

I want a full color tablet/reader/whatever that's about 9x12 for less than $250. When that comes out I'll consider replacing my real books. Maybe. I mean, real books take up a lot of room but there's still something nice about them that readers don't have.

15. Re: Reading... Dec 16, 2012, 20:46 Ant

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 20:35:

I love hardbacks, but they eventually start taking up too much room. I've had my kindle (which I love) for over a year, and don't think I've bought an actual "book" since.

Don't keep books.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Reading... Dec 16, 2012, 20:35 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Reading... Dec 16, 2012, 20:27 Ant

12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 19:33 gsilver

Hmm... Why no Raiden 2?

I gave the game a shot, since, well, I loved Raiden 2, and it controls better than I thought it would.

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 19:14 Domgrief

The e-reader has pretty much surpassed the book for me. It's actually practical to carry an epic fantasy novel (or 100) about with me, the baked in dictionary is brilliant, Calibre allows me to comfortably flick through Ars or local newspaper content on the way to work, and it has a tolerance to natural light. The only practical disadvantage compared to actually reading a dead-tree book is my rights as a consumer*.

As an e-reader and smartphone user, the tablet just seems like a big bundle of compromise. The tablet's killer function seems to be that it's good for taking notes in meetings, or passing around to show screenshots of some piece of software you're selling. It's almost as good as using actual paper.

(*) And Kobo's noble effort to be the most singularly useless digital bookstore on the planet. I can get better content from my smartphone. Or a garage sale.

10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 18:56 Shok

I have a kindle keyboard and kindle fire. E-ink is so much better on the eyes for reading than any backlit IPS screen imo. I predict there will eventually be a roll-up or fold up e-ink display and that's what I want to be using to read with  

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 18:52 Prez

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison I think. Someone who wants a multimedia device will settle for reading ebooks on a Kindle Fire even though it has an inferior reading experience to the dedicated Kindle Readers. Someone who just wants to read a book will surely get something like the Nook or the Kindle Paper White. There may come a time when the multimedia tablets have screens and functions every bit as good as dedicated e-readers, but that time hasn't come yet. Even when it does, there will always be the issue of price - why pay for a fully-featured tablet if all you want is an e-reader which costs much less?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 17:04 Julio

My Sony ereader > any tablet for reading on. Long battery life, easier on the eyes...no way that ereaders are going away for tablets.  

7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 16:24 Dades

El Pit wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 14:36:
The markets will prove that Smellfinger is right. E-readers are the dinosaurs of the portable computer market, simply not versatile enough.

They don't need to be versatile, reading (more casual, magazine style reading) is a specialized activity that doesn't lend itself well to tablets and smartphones. They don't need to be profitable themselves either, the whole business model is driven by the content sales. They aren't going to be a massive growth market as there is a lot of competition but there is no reason ereaders need to be supplanted by tablets which will do a worse job in every way.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 16:17 NewMaxx

Have to agree, I love my Nook. Month+ battery life even with extensive reading, and much easier on the eyes. You could pick one up for 59.99 around Black Friday (abundantly available on B&N's site), and the Kindle is regularly 69.99. Compare that to the Kindle Fire, which has a battery life of 8.5 hours and starts at 159.99, and is backlit, so doesn't do too well in many conditions. Sorry but for any serious reader a tablet is a joke, although it is ideal for more sporadic reading.

Honestly I think the article's conclusion is wrong because it implies that people are switching to tablets to read, or in the very least are choosing not to opt for an eReader for when they do. More likely, anybody who wanted such a device already has one. You can't exactly innovate too much with such a basic device. Likewise I'd love for someone to explain why the Kindle Paperwhite runs almost 150 after tax even for just the Wifi model and is consistently out of stock if there's no market for it.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 16:23.

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 15:03 PHJF

Not versatile enough??? It's a fucking e-reader, not one of Batman's utility-belt gadgets.

I use my Kindle every day. I didn't buy it to play fucking Pac Man, I bought it to READ on, which it does infinitely better than any "portable computer".

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo