Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned recently that our phone outage following Sandy has lead to a FiOS install here, as Verizon is not going to get around to repairing copper outages for months. After a little confusion about our install date, the guy is actually here on a Sunday (they must be super busy, as he also mentioned that there may be a wait for a cherry picker since they are so backed up). Presuming this goes smoothly (which has not always been the case with this service) we are going from a ridiculous amount of bandwidth (36 Mbps) to an even more ridiculous amount of bandwidth (75 Mbps). It's hard to imagine being able to tell the difference, though I will certainly try my best. I'm a little nervous about relying on VOIP for phone service, but the weather-related outages on our landline were so frequent that this will probably end up being more reliable anyway.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Super Santa Kicker 3.
Science: Australia plans drill of ancient Antarctic ice core.
Saber-toothed cat fossils found near Las Vegas.
Media: INAPPROPRIATE JINGLE BELLS.
Garbage Men Having Fun With Foosball Table.
The Funnies: EXTRALIFE – Pinball Wizard.
Not-Ready-for-Prime-Time FoxTrot.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 16:29 mag

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 15:03:
mag wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:37:
I didn't even think the interference call was much bullshit.

60 yard pass to receiver who trips over his own feet into the end zone, and the Patriots get the ball on first and goal at the 1 because of a blind ref, and you don't think that call was bad?

Pass interference in the NFL is fucking bullshit. NO penalty should be worth 60 fucking yards. You can break both Brady's legs in individual instances, then go back and literally rip his head off by the face mask, and you'd get 45 yards in penalties. But a guy tripping over his own fucking feet gets 60?

The NFL has FINALLY wisened up to their previous bs overtime rules, can't they take another flyer from the college game and just go with 15 yards for pass interference? Or, failing that, don't call pass interference beyond 15 yards unless TWO referees clearly see the infraction. The blind dipshit in the end zone clearly couldn't see it, because the defender was right behind the receiver in that case.

Creston

Not arguing the penalty for pass interference, but it looked like a good call to me. Looked pretty clearly like he got tangled up with the other guy--and this is right after a play where there was more-obvious pass interference that was not called.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong game/play. The internet says that call was 38 yards, and was after the 49ers benefited from a 35 yard one.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2012, 16:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 15:03 Creston

mag wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:37:
I didn't even think the interference call was much bullshit.

60 yard pass to receiver who trips over his own feet into the end zone, and the Patriots get the ball on first and goal at the 1 because of a blind ref, and you don't think that call was bad?

Pass interference in the NFL is fucking bullshit. NO penalty should be worth 60 fucking yards. You can break both Brady's legs in individual instances, then go back and literally rip his head off by the face mask, and you'd get 45 yards in penalties. But a guy tripping over his own fucking feet gets 60?

The NFL has FINALLY wisened up to their previous bs overtime rules, can't they take another flyer from the college game and just go with 15 yards for pass interference? Or, failing that, don't call pass interference beyond 15 yards unless TWO referees clearly see the infraction. The blind dipshit in the end zone clearly couldn't see it, because the defender was right behind the receiver in that case.

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 14:37 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 10:10:
Of all the bad calls in that game this one is the one you pick, not the 10 minute contact confusion? ;p Looked to me like a case of general fucked up ness. And the the patriots lost.. the game was good entertainment Even to someone not usually watching American Football, it was just coincidence I saw the game.

That said the interference call was bullshit, but it had not turned the game, so whatever.

I didn't even think the interference call was much bullshit. I thought the officiating was pretty good. Good game. Even though I picked the Pats to win, and I knew they'd made a huge comeback even down 31-3, I was really rooting against them when Brady started acting like a petulant kid. Hah.

The Steelers/Cowboys game was pretty good, too.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 10:10 eRe4s3r

Of all the bad calls in that game this one is the one you pick, not the 10 minute contact confusion? ;p Looked to me like a case of general fucked up ness. And the the patriots lost.. the game was good entertainment Even to someone not usually watching American Football, it was just coincidence I saw the game.

That said the interference call was bullshit, but it had not turned the game, so whatever.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 09:39 Verno

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 23:59:
Did someone forget to tell the Giants where the game was being played? They scored as many points as I did and I wasn't even in the same state!

That was my happiest pick this week. Can't believe the Patriots lost after that comeback

Figures that the Cardinals picked this week to finally show up to the game too *grumble*.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 03:13 Hoop

Been in the 90's here the last few days it's almost like desert heat here in summer very low humidity, argh 9.15pm & still too light to watch a movie.  

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 00:44 Jeraxle

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 17:08:
75 Mbps over FIOS? I thought the lowest they went was 100?

Creston

My FIOS is only 30 Mbps. Supposedly it's going to 50 soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2012, 00:29 mag

Rigs wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 21:35:
Oh Eli...there are few words to describe my utter disappointment... With still two games to be decided this week, I don't think it'll make much of a dent in my appalling record, which, right now, stands at *cringe* 6-8...ugh...Did anybody have a good weekend?

=-Rigs-=

I'm 12-3, so far, I think. I was doing awesome until the afternoon/evening games.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 23:59 Prez

Did someone forget to tell the Giants where the game was being played? They scored as many points as I did and I wasn't even in the same state!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 23:48 jimnms

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 16:59:
You only pay $30 for 25mb/s down?? Shocked

Comcast charges me $75 for 25/3, and another $50 for VOIP. No wonder I'm poor!

I don't have a cable bill handy (it's the only bill that I can't get paperless), but looking at my bank I pay $105 for cable + internet. I only have basic cable and standard internet (they offer lite and enhanced). I think the internet part is $60 for 10Mbit down and 1Mbit up.

I've thought of dropping the cable TV part, but then they charge more for the internet and I think it only saves $10. I don't watch much TV, but of the few shows that I do watch, there are a couple that I "can't" get online.

I also still have a land line from the phone co. that costs me $40 a month. I don't use it, but there is a phone hooked up to it with its ringer turned off. I keep it because I've had that number my entire life, but it's also comforting to know it still works when nature decides to remind us who's in charge. We were without power for almost 2 weeks after Katrina, and down here we get an occasional winter storm that knocks out power and shuts the city down for days. Every time we've had an incident that cause large scale power outages for several days, cell phone towers only have about 2 days of backup power, but the old land line stays on through it.

MeanJim on Steam

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 23:28 Creston

The NFL's "TEH PATRIOTS MUST WIN!" officiating is in full swing again, I see. That was the most egregiously blatant horseshit pass interference call probably fucking ever. The guy tripped over his own fucking feet!

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 22:46 Cutter

Quote of the day....

"One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all take off our shoes at the airport. Thirty-one school shootings since Columbine and no change in our regulation of guns." - John Oliver

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 22:33 Cutter

How 'bout them Packers!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 21:35 Rigs

Ant wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 19:41:
PHJF wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 13:18:
I don't know what I would do with all that downstream, and I almost never upload things, so my 25/1 for $30 a month is plenty enough. Downloads from Steam are 1.5-2MB/s any time of day, so paying for any more would seem like a silly luxury.

Try $52.99 for 15 (used to be 10 a few weeks ago)/1 in L.A. area for non-promotional price. Also $3.95 for leased cable modem.

I'm not quite sure the spread on price, but here in west-central FL (hour north of Tampa), we pay $145/month to BrightHouse (TimeWarner) for 10/1, VOIP and about 200-channels of cable, nothing premium, non-promotional. That also doesn't include fees, taxes, sacrifices to the Gods, and a new $4 modem-rental fee. It was mentioned some months ago that we were going to be upgraded to 15/1.5 but I don't know if we qualified for that or not. Our speeds really haven't changed much, I get a max of 1.3/mbps down during downloads. I got smart, though, with my torrents after they started throttling my connection. Unfortunately, for some reason, the modem/router/mta-combo...thing we have didn't take kindly to that and would promptly take a header into the seldom-used feature of 'looking like it works but really doesn't' mode, dragging the VOIP kicking and screaming with it, not letting us online or use the phone until it was rebooted, which involves physically removing the battery from the screwed-in compartment underneath the box and letting it 'stew' for five minutes in the corner to think about what it's done. After this, I plug it back in, wait for it to reacquaint itself with old friends, play 'Slap, Slap, Handhshake' with the server and let us back online again and be able to call Grandma and assure her we're not purposely ignoring her calls. *sigh*

Sounds like fun, yes? The kicker? If I tried to re-start my torrent download, this would all repeat within five minutes. Thus providing me with something to pass the time that was wholesome fun for the whole family. Finally, I ticked a seldom-noticed option in uTorrent to randomize the port everytime it was started. This one feature saved the router from breaking several world records in Wireless Router Distance Throwing...

And in other news...

Oh Eli...there are few words to describe my utter disappointment... With still two games to be decided this week, I don't think it'll make much of a dent in my appalling record, which, right now, stands at *cringe* 6-8...ugh...Did anybody have a good weekend?

Though, for some reason, when I see this, I can't get Scorpion's 'GET OVER HERE!' out of my head, and then a crack of thunder as the poor boy is slammed to the ground...'Ooh! That's gotta hurt!'...Indeed!

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 22:21.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 19:41 Ant

PHJF wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 13:18:
I don't know what I would do with all that downstream, and I almost never upload things, so my 25/1 for $30 a month is plenty enough. Downloads from Steam are 1.5-2MB/s any time of day, so paying for any more would seem like a silly luxury.

Try $52.99 for 15 (used to be 10 a few weeks ago)/1 in L.A. area for non-promotional price. Also $3.95 for leased cable modem.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. FIOS Dec 16, 2012, 19:28 Ant

I hate you, Blue. I still can't get FIOS and DSL in my Verizon areas/neighbors even though the cities have them! Argh!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 19:23 Prez

sauron wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 18:55:
I've been using Vonage VoIP for phone service here at Barad-Dur for almost 10 years. Very reliable, and the price is so low I've only had to summarily execute 2 of their CEOs. Quite impressed really. Had to set the orcs on the local Verizon staff due to high prices and the cleanup bill was rather high - Vonage is much better.

However, if it were to go down you'd want reliable cellphone backup. I have MetroPCS for that, and they're not as good - Shelob's diet plan continues to include large numbers of their upper management, despite the fact they are rather high in cholesterol.

Do you have wifi there in Mordor? I was thinking of visiting (on that subject, cleaning up that rather unsightly and foul-smelling marsh surrounding your home would probably do wonders for tourism) but only if I can bring my tablet to check my email.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 19:16 Dan =0)

On the Antarctica drilling article - there was a link in the comments pointing to an agreement that was nullified between France and Australia to disallow mining and drilling for oil:  

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 18:55 sauron

I've been using Vonage VoIP for phone service here at Barad-Dur for almost 10 years. Very reliable, and the price is so low I've only had to summarily execute 2 of their CEOs. Quite impressed really. Had to set the orcs on the local Verizon staff due to high prices and the cleanup bill was rather high - Vonage is much better.

However, if it were to go down you'd want reliable cellphone backup. I have MetroPCS for that, and they're not as good - Shelob's diet plan continues to include large numbers of their upper management, despite the fact they are rather high in cholesterol.

Kittens!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2012, 18:44 eRe4s3r

Not to mention that usually in an extreme weather event basements tend to get flooded. Some insanely smart idiot in the house I live put the heating in the top floor (15m above ground) but the electricity connection 1m above ground in the basement (1.5m lower than the mainline connects to this house). You can guess what happened 2 weeks after I moved in.  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo