Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:53 TangledThorns

Lesaonar wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 15:55:
TangledThorns wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 15:51:
I think there is more to this than guns. We're seeing a rash of young men in their 20s causing this violence and they all seem to have some sort of autism.

Where exactly did you get that Autistics aren't empathetic? Probably one of the most inane statements I've ever read.

Read up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism#Neuropsychology

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:37 nin

The idea of teachers carrying in the classroom just boggles the mind...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:18 jdreyer

I think there is more to this than guns. We're seeing a rash of young men in their 20s causing this violence and they all seem to have some sort of autism. They naturally lack empathy so are capable of these kinds of murder. Those in the mental health field need to research into this right away to try and prevent what triggers this.

Right, probably not autism, but mental health for sure. Most of the mass killing shooters have unaddressed mental health issues. And yet we continue to cut mental health funding.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:16 PHJF

At least I won't hear another fucking word about the fiscal cliff next week at the gym.

24 hour television news was a horrible idea.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:10 jdreyer

Censorship is a dangerous thing, even self-censorship. I agree that when the media does this they are appealing to the people's most base instinct to rubberneck. It's a disgusting grasp at viewership, but censorship is not only wrong, but impossible in the age of the internet as someone mentioned.

So, what to do? Can't we agree that a 10-day waiting period and extensive background check to purchase a gun should be the bare minimum nation-wide? Can't we agree that we should properly fund mental healthcare so people with problems can be identified and assisted instead of left to fester? Can't we agree to close the gun show loophole?

Gun regulations correlate with lower gun violence. That's just a fact. And in countries where gun ownership is prohibited (China) or very strictly regulated (Japan, UK) not only are gun murders orders of magnitude lower, but also murders overall.

A school attack in China happened yesterday too. The attacker used a knife. 20 children were injured but no one died. If he had access to guns, that would obviously be different.

"More people should have guns to protect themselves." Lanza's mother did. He took it and shot her, then shot 20 kindergartners.

"Teachers should carry. They could have shot the shooter." And if they had and missed and shot a child? And the cost would be much greater: How many carrying teachers nationwide would lose their tempers and shoot coworkers and students over the course of a year? Just like more cars on the road lead to more accidents, so to do more guns in the population lead to more deaths, regardless of the noble purpose. Humans are irrational, and supplying irrational beings with a force multiplier results in multiple times the force, injuries, and death.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 16:06 Julio

I highly doubt all these mass murderers are autistic.  

11. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:55 Lesaonar

I think there is more to this than guns. We're seeing a rash of young men in their 20s causing this violence and they all seem to have some sort of autism.

Where exactly did you get that Autistics aren't empathetic? Probably one of the most inane statements I've ever read.

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

10. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:53 mag

I think there is more to this than guns. We're seeing a rash of young men in their 20s causing this violence and they all seem to have some sort of autism. They naturally lack empathy so are capable of these kinds of murder. Those in the mental health field need to research into this right away to try and prevent what triggers this.

Four million quatloos says that it's Internet message boards.

9. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:51 TangledThorns

8. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:41 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 15:28:
That's all I am going to say about this because of course I will be called wrong by all of the internet know-it-alls who find things like this an opportunity to prove how brilliant they are (and maybe push an agenda or two) instead of showing a fucking shred of humanity.

Classy. Guess we're closed for discussion, then.

7. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 15:28 Prez

I used to be a huge Stephen King fan. I remember the Stephen King interview; I really liked the story as well (being a misfit high school loser with very few friends at the time I related to it on some levels all too well). King could have been a douche and claimed no responsibility for the violence - and strictly speaking he would have been correct - but instead he was horrified that something he wrote was having an unintended and evil consequence and acted in a sane, rational manner. Good article.

A simple law that places a 3 month moratorium on naming the shooter or giving any details about his miserable existence could work wonders in stopping some of these horrific cases . For those who say it can't work, consider that the policy of not naming the victim in a rape case usually keeps the person's name a secret for quite a while. Making it illegal for the media networks to announce would greatly reduce the "buzz" and "fame" these cretins are seeking.

That's all I am going to say about this because of course I will be called wrong by all of the internet know-it-alls who find things like this an opportunity to prove how brilliant they are (and maybe push an agenda or two) instead of showing a fucking shred of humanity.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2012, 15:42.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 14:59 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:29:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:00:
The last thing we need is more laws or government intervention.

A law isn't going to do anything to solve an issue like this. These assholes have no care for the law as it exists, so no new law is making to make them suddenly take notice.

However, I do think the government needs to take a hundred billion out of the fucking defense budget, and spend it on security for schools. (although even more, I wish the Federal government would get its fat, lazy ass out of education altogether, and it becomes a States issue again, as it was always intended to be.)

Creston

The laws and intervention in question refer to the media, not shooters.

The idea seems unworkable with the Internet around, though. If the mainstream news doesn't report the identity of a shooter or describe the crime, alternative sites are going to become even more mainstream, with less fact verification and organization. Totalitarian states like China and Russia have trouble suppressing facts; what's going to make it easier with an open press and uncensored Internet?

5. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 14:29 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:00:

A law isn't going to do anything to solve an issue like this. These assholes have no care for the law as it exists, so no new law is making to make them suddenly take notice.

However, I do think the government needs to take a hundred billion out of the fucking defense budget, and spend it on security for schools. (although even more, I wish the Federal government would get its fat, lazy ass out of education altogether, and it becomes a States issue again, as it was always intended to be.)

Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 14:18 nin

WarPig wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 14:09:
The Onion gets right to the point.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-nation-reports,30743/?ref=auto

I like this one as well.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 14:09 WarPig

The Onion gets right to the point.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-nation-reports,30743/?ref=auto

GO SEAHAWKS!

2. Re: This Dec 15, 2012, 14:00 DangerDog

http://i.imgur.com/TbJjJ.jpg

I prefer to observe self censorship and won't be tuning into any mainstream media "news" coverage, especially ones that included talking heads giving their "expert opinions".

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2012, 13:23 nin

I apologize for briefly hijacking this thread (as I mean no disrespect towards the tragedy that happened yesterday):

If you're interested in late 80s/early 90s musical influences, there's a kickstarter wrapping up in 5 hours that covers several bands, specifically Cocteau Twins, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and My Bloody Valentine (with more than a few other guest artists stopping by (Robert Smith, Trent Reznor, Wayne Coyne, and Billy Corgan.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo