Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Asheron's Call 2 Returns

The Asheron's Call Forums have the surprising announcement that Turbine is reviving Asheron's Call 2, over seven years after shuttering the MMORPG sequel (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). At this point this is considered a beta, which is being offered for free to active paid Asheron's Call subscribers, though apparently they've misplaced the floppy disc with previous account information:

Asheron’s Call 2 has returned! We have opened up a new server for anyone who has an active Asheron’s Call subscription to play Asheron’s Call 2 for free! Although we would have loved to revisit some of our old characters with you, we were not able to bring over any of your old characters. We do, however, present this new Asheron’s Call 2 server, Dawnsong, to all active Asheron’s Call players with a paid subscription or who purchase an ACTD retail key and subscribe.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 10:36 ShakaUVM

Frijoles wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 17:44:
If there's one company I trust with f2p, it's Turbine. They did a great job with LOTRO and DDO.
Turbine is terrible. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 03:09 SectorEffector

I still prefer Kunark age EQ. <3 for 1998-2002 MMORPG gaming EQ or AC or SWG  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

15. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 02:14 NewMaxx

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 01:05:
This happens in every single MMO at release, a few people discover an exploit right away and profit tremendously from it.

Yep. The last two MMO titles I purchased and played - SWToR and GW2 - both had major "exploits" within the first month. Actually, the last three, if you count STO, and I won't speak about WoW. Then there's games I tested and later played F2P/Tiered Premium, like...well, you get the idea, but at release the majority (if not all) had things going that created huge advantages for early players.

Actually, SWToR had multiple exploits that totally destroyed the market. It's one of the reasons the game failed, actually. I had people giving me insane amounts of credits to help them with missions, for example, within weeks of release...like more money than I had even with the slicing abuse. That was due to the duping bug, which GW2 had something similar of, but I digress.

14. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 01:22 Creston

... what?

Creston

13. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 01:05 JohnBirshire

Yeah, it was an exploit, and people used it to level rapidly

This happens in every single MMO at release, a few people discover an exploit right away and profit tremendously from it. Whether that be exp/gold/etc. One of my UO guildmates discovered a credit dupe in Star Wars Galaxies 2 days after release, and chose a few of us with Ebay accounts to help him sell it, keeping half the profit. Before it was fixed a month later, we made over $40,000, it was fantastic. You also see people at max level in most MMOs just a day or two after release, even if it's supposed to take 200-300 hours, same concept.

I loved AC the first couple months, played it religiously *literally 12-16 hours a day*, on Darktide. Would spend about 10 hours power leveling, then run around the server killing every single person I saw the rest of the time. Since anyone powerful enough to challenge me was in my monarchy *The Mercs*, there was absolutely nothing to worry about, we had free reign. Eventually I couldn't keep up with the grind due to real life priorities starting so I had to Ebay my account, but I still remember those days quite fondly.

I might subscribe to AC for nostalgia and to check out AC2 again, but that depends on whether I am enjoying the Darkfall relaunch or not.

12. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 20:08 .Drifter

I remember one of my early experiences in the AC2 beta . . .

From what I can remember, water was not yet deadly, and there had been the ability to kill MOBs from in the water, and they wouldn't enter, so you were able to attack with impunity. I even remember being able to swim across huge areas of water to areas of the map you should not be able to get to, higher level areas, that you could then tie to.
At that point, you would attack a high level critter, die, restore at the tie point and run back to attack again. It would take a while, but when you killed the higher level critter finally, you'd level up. Yeah, it was an exploit, and people used it to level rapidly.
Turbine's response?
Make water slowly kill you when you entered.
Starter area became a death trap, since there was a stream to cross, and people were dieing, cussing, and carrying on until the updated the game. Took me several attempts to cross the stream and not die, to continue the starting area, lol.
Ah, fun times . . .

11. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 17:44 Frijoles

MrRadicalEd wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 15:45:
I'd rather not be heart broken over the possibility of a F2P AC2... no thanks...

If there's one company I trust with f2p, it's Turbine. They did a great job with LOTRO and DDO.

10. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 16:10 ciresft

This is great, and the subscription is only for AC1, AC2 comes with it for free. I loved both AC1 and AC2, I just wish I had time for playing MMOs these days...  

9. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 15:45 MrRadicalEd

I loved AC2... it was an MMORPG had great environmental art and some great crafting/battle mechanics... loved it...

Seeing as this is a beta, I am to assume this will be developed in to a standalone game? Too many questions....

I'd rather not be heart broken over the possibility of a F2P AC2... no thanks...

8. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 13:23 Agent.X7

Wow, I beta tested AC2 almost from the start. Didn't play too long in release, most likely because I burnt out from testing it so long. Had some cool features. Weird that they are bringing it back, even as FTP, after so long.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 12:01 Linksil

Maybe it's because it's been so long since I played it. But I remember having good times in AC2. Remember when I logged off one day then came back in and the whole forest and town was cleared because a dragon or something decided to go on a rampage. Was thinking: man this is what all mmo's need to do. Still don't have any mmo with the updates/world changing as the AC 1/2 ones. WoW with phasing is kinda like it, but not the same.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

6. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 Gas Bandit

Somebody still subscribes to AC1?!!

I did like gokarting around on my butt in AC2, though. And the impromptu musical jam sessions between strangers.

5. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 11:00 Verno

Always loved the combat system in the AC games, I'd go in for a nostalgia dip.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

4. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 10:58 Frijoles

My bet is that this is step 1 towards something else. Either moving people out of AC1 (can't see that happening) or going F2P with it. Hopefully the latter. I wouldn't mind having a look at it again after so many years.

Here's to hoping their goal is to tweak it (overhaul it) to make it more like AC1.

3. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 10:46 Ceribaen

Hmm.
Any updates to gameplay/design or is it just AC2 as it was when shut down? It had so much potential to be what WoW is... had the pretty, had *three* factions... just the limited the pvp/faction interaction, and otherwise got boring after you got over the pretty fast.
I wonder if they're going to go with a F2P model like DDO and LOTRO, or something else.

2. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 Cutter

wtf_man wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 10:30:
Gah! Not that piece of shit! Please!

Make a REAL AC 2, not that abomination that was released and killed off years ago!

Agreed. And sub based too? It is to lulz! Why ever bother Turbine?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 10:30 wtf_man

Gah! Not that piece of shit! Please!

Make a REAL AC 2, not that abomination that was released and killed off years ago!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo