Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week

The Games By Design Blog has word that A Valley Without Wind 2 is now in closed alpha testing, offering the first screenshots from Arcen Games' upcoming platformer sequel along with a trailer showing off alpha gameplay footage. The post also explains this alpha period will be brief, and that a public beta may begin as soon as Monday or Tuesday, allowing preorder customers the chance to get to play the game (the sequel will be free to those who bought the original, and vice versa). There is also a rundown on how the sequel will differ from the first A Valley Without Wind.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 01:13 eRe4s3r

Heh, I have given up on positive input for AVWW.. in AVWW 1 my main complaint was that we have no progression. There was a loot system implemented but I think there is just an aversion in that community to proper motivation via story and characters and player progression. Learning new spells is only good if these better spells look better, feel better. But all my suggestions were shot down. I wanted spells that change per level (a variable in the effects that make a fireball stronger and more AOE the higher it levels, basically every spell would get more epic the more you play with it). And loot (equipment) and some system to give the player a lot of customization options based on what equipment he finds. Sort of like a armor system, except it changed how your magical abilities function with interacting properties. Something like that really has never been done properly in a game...

But as I said, nothing was done to change the fundamental issue. There is no point to playing this game. No Story. No draw. Nothing that sucks you in and spits you out. There is no addictive quality to the loot system and the combat is kinda meh.

And then there is that I just dislike side scrollers with too much combat. And AVWW is 99.99% combat. I guess it's just not a game for me or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 00:53 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 13:57:
I am kinda sad none of my critiques were implemented.. I wanted smoother animations, more (2-3 frame) connections between animation steps as well as a smooth idle animation that's unique for each character. Because otherwise the best artwork is gonna look terrible. As well as a more solid particle system with advanced (openGL style) particle functions, like relative particle-age effects, where each particle of a certain age set can have different effect. I got shot down for memory reasons.. MEMORY REASONS in this day and age

I kinda stopped caring, though it is free for owners of AVWW1

I wanted an actual *game* in there. I played for 2 hours, achieved absolutely nothing beyond learning a couple spells, and quit the game, frustrated, bored, and vowing not to buy into indie hype any more.

It scarcely felt like a game at all, and yet was hyped to hell and back as being unbelievably AWESOME.

4. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 20:10 eRe4s3r

Righto *adds critiques to my word list*  

3. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 19:33 Fibrocyte

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 13:57:
I am kinda sad none of my critics were implemented.. I wanted smoother animations, more (2-3 frame) connections between animation steps as well as a smooth idle animation that's unique for each character. Because otherwise the best artwork is gonna look terrible. As well as a more solid particle system with advanced (openGL style) particle functions, like relative particle-age effects, where each particle of a certain age set can have different effect. I got shot down for memory reasons.. MEMORY REASONS in this day and age

critiques*

2. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 13:57 eRe4s3r

I am kinda sad none of my critiques were implemented.. I wanted smoother animations, more (2-3 frame) connections between animation steps as well as a smooth idle animation that's unique for each character. Because otherwise the best artwork is gonna look terrible. As well as a more solid particle system with advanced (openGL style) particle functions, like relative particle-age effects, where each particle of a certain age set can have different effect. I got shot down for memory reasons.. MEMORY REASONS in this day and age

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2012, 20:10.

1. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 12:35 Orphic Resonance

still looks like ass

maybe when it gets up to 5 or something... the basic idea is pretty cool

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo