Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale

Steam News announces a free weekend is underway for Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, celebrating the recent release of the free Fall 2012 content pack for the World War II shooter sequel. The weekend runs until 4:00 pm EST and the game is on sale for 75% off until Monday at 1:00 pm EST. The announcement we received about this also mentions double XP, but that's not mentioned elsewhere in the announcement, nor is it mentioned on Steam, so we can't say whether an XP bonus is in play or not.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 20:30 shinchan0s

PHJF wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 09:10:
Well I tried about 80 minutes last night. First map was one with trenches, my team was getting destroyed, and the "commander" spent the whole match yelling at the team for being so stupid and playing Call of Duty and god damn these free weekend noobs. Naturally I join the other team next map and do better, get some decent kills, capped a point or two.

Seriously, though... the Russians are grey. The Germans are slightly darker grey. I must have spent half my time in the game checking the map to see if that dude in front of me was an enemy or not. I STILL ended up with like five teamkills when all was said and done.

Game ran very well and played pretty smoothly, except the cover mechanic which is the worst done I've ever seen... and this is a game that slaps you in the face if you so much as think of not being in cover.

Yeah, I had the same problem when I started too. My teams were surprisingly forgiving until around the 5th or 6th straight TK...

Also, the new cover system blows. You're actually more likely to get killed if you use the cover mechanic because it makes you easier to spot and more predictable. Just take a few steps back from a window (instead of leaning against it) and you're good to go. It kind of sucks for MGs though.

At least there's less grenade spam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 17:39 hoolaparara

Well that's disappointing. I thought I'd try the free trial to see if it was available from the unmetered steam server on my new wireless connection (8GB a month only, but I'm finally in a broadband world). But I can't get any of the little tools people have made to block steam from other content servers on wine so I have to use my only late windows machine which only has 10 GB free and I find despite the steam store page saying it needs

Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

Steam wants 15189MB! Another wonderfully accurate store page and I see the Civ IV page still suggests it works on win 2k!

9. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 SpectralMeat

PHJF wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 09:10:
Seriously, though... the Russians are grey. The Germans are slightly darker grey.
That's generally my problem too. I am always nervous to pull the trigger on someone because it may be my team mate, then I get an earful of how much of a dumb n00b I am. I'd rather just play with bots. At least they don't give me shit for team kills

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 09:31 Suckage

Yeah, unfortunately there's no point of using the cover system as you're always a bit exposed when using it.
Personally, I like the fact that they're hard to distinguish. Besides, if you choose to persevere and continue playing, you'll get used to it.

7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 09:10 PHJF

Well I tried about 80 minutes last night. First map was one with trenches, my team was getting destroyed, and the "commander" spent the whole match yelling at the team for being so stupid and playing Call of Duty and god damn these free weekend noobs. Naturally I join the other team next map and do better, get some decent kills, capped a point or two.

Seriously, though... the Russians are grey. The Germans are slightly darker grey. I must have spent half my time in the game checking the map to see if that dude in front of me was an enemy or not. I STILL ended up with like five teamkills when all was said and done.

Game ran very well and played pretty smoothly, except the cover mechanic which is the worst done I've ever seen... and this is a game that slaps you in the face if you so much as think of not being in cover.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 06:21 Suckage

PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:33:
Was this pretty well patched up?

Yeah, it runs great now!

5. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 tomigun

Great online game  

4. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 14, 2012, 00:08 gsilver

I bought this from an earlier free weekend. Great game.  

3. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 13, 2012, 21:56 shinchan0s

RO1 was better.  

2. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 13, 2012, 21:37 Techie714

LOVE this game!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Free Weekend and Sale Dec 13, 2012, 21:33 PHJF

eh $5 why not. I gave Planetside an honest try but it was just a constant clusterfuck and ran like shit.

Was this pretty well patched up?

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 21:40.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo