Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

HAWKEN Beta Opens

The HAWKEN Forums announce the launch of the promised open beta testing of HAWKEN, the free-to-play mech combat game (thanks Gamer's Hell). Here's the announcement:

It's official, mech pilots! December 12 has arrived and the HAWKEN Open Beta is live! Thanks to our hardworking teams, and to the helpful feedback from our Alpha and Closed Beta testers, HAWKEN looks and plays great. We couldn't be more proud, and this is only the beginning.

We continue to make improvements to HAWKEN, so stay current by reading the Open Beta patch notes and our latest Producer Letter. Ready to climb into your mech? Download the game and head to your Garage to check out the new options and trick out your mech.

Then get out there and tear 'em up!

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 18, 2012, 05:15 Quinn

Tried it for a meager 20 mins do far. Graphics look awful to me. Blurry, or something. Kinda like that Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 engine looked blurry in a way.

I wasn't impressed at all. But I only tried Team Deathmatch. I heard from my cous' that the Siege mode is pretty good!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens<br> The <a href= Dec 16, 2012, 12:25 Fantaz

Dev wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 10:45:
So, anyone try this?

This.

19. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 14, 2012, 03:58 Armengar

"The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail."

I took this as being a generic jibe about the comments this game is going to fail; Whereas the game is still in beta so many bugs and foibles may yet be worked out.

Judging from youtube videos he surmises the game looks to be a good skill based strategy game (that I guess needs polish?).

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 14, 2012, 03:57 InBlack

Just a heads up on a related note. Im having a blast with Mechwarrior: Online. But then again Im a diehard Mechwarrior fan, the game is still buggy as hell although the last patch improved performance considerably.

Another patch is coming up on Dec 18th, a new mech is coming, more performance fixes are coming, and apparently a new game mode is coming!. Also some super secret stuff....

If any of you are playing MWO, my tag is KerenskyClone (Yeah I know not very original and I get flamed for it a lot, but I never knew the game was going to grip me as hard as it has)

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 21:49 Stormsinger

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:24:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:48:
Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:42:
Here we go again. The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail. Geeze, just by watching youtube vids of the gameplay shows that this game definitely requires skill-based strategy. Looks good to me so far!
Err...what? Would you mind putting that in English?

All I could get out of it is that you appear to like it...damned if I could make sense out of the first sentence, though.

"Here we go again" ? What is so tough to understand about that?
Whoops! Yeah, that should have been the second sentence that I couldn't follow.

16. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 21:24 Jivaro

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:48:
Here we go again. The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail. Geeze, just by watching youtube vids of the gameplay shows that this game definitely requires skill-based strategy. Looks good to me so far!

All I could get out of it is that you appear to like it...damned if I could make sense out of the first sentence, though.

"Here we go again" ? What is so tough to understand about that?

15. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 19:48 Stormsinger

14. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 19:42 Steele Johnson

13. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 19:24 ViRGE

PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 14:16:

Anyone approaching this as a Mechwarrior style game will be disappointed. It's much closer to the Heavy Gear franchise. The mechs move faster and die faster.

There's nothing wrong with that but, again... you can't just release a deathmatch game in 2012 and call it a day. People expect more than that, or if that's really all there is it had better be the best fucking DM since Q3A.
I'd be perfectly cool with it being just a DM game. But making a F2P/progression game out of a DM game just kills it for me. It's the same dumb thing that Tribes: Ascend did.

12. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 18:32 The Half Elf

I only remember 2 things from Heavy Gear 1)mini mechs on wheels, and 2) That awesome 'fresh out of the box/case' smell.

Wonder if I could get Heavy Gear to load on Win 7....

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 17:51 Shataan

"Anyone approaching this as a Mechwarrior style game will be disappointed. It's much closer to the Heavy Gear franchise."

I agree on the disappointed part. But I thought the Hawken Beta more resembled VirtuaOn actually. Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear 2 rocked hard. Hawken has sweet visuals and cool SteamPunk design, but piloting movement suxors harder than Linda Lovelace on a good day.

This 1 should definately be a console game..... and remain on the consoles.

10. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 14:58 Hump

they haven't addressed the thing that bothered me most in alpha. The fact that the mechs still blend into the structures to closey making them hard to focus on quickly. Otherwise, this is a blast.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 14:21 Dmitri_M

Gamers who can remember Quake, Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear expect more

The rest of the kids, I'm not so sure. But yeah, I won't stick with it very long just for deathmatch.

8. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 14:16 PHJF

Anyone approaching this as a Mechwarrior style game will be disappointed. It's much closer to the Heavy Gear franchise. The mechs move faster and die faster.

There's nothing wrong with that but, again... you can't just release a deathmatch game in 2012 and call it a day. People expect more than that, or if that's really all there is it had better be the best fucking DM since Q3A.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 13:58 Dmitri_M

It's a twitch game, ala Quake.

Personally I've enjoyed it a bit, not sure for how long I'll keep playing. I do think the mechs could do with 30% "health" boost as fire fights don't last long enough.

6. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 13:44 JoeNapalm

Wow...that's a turn.

Up until now, I've only heard how awesome this game will be - now I can't find any positive commentary.

Interesting.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 Creston

Here come the 100 million players!

Giggle

Creston

4. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens<br> The <a href= Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Bummer. Yet another promising title turned into crap.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens<br> The <a href= Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 deqer

Why bother anymore? It's full of DRM now.

2. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens<br> The <a href= Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 PHJF

I played a bit of beta a couple months back. It's too shallow. You see mechs and you think, "Gee, this must have some strategic depth to it"... and then you play Hawken.

Granted when I played there was only TDM and they were JUST releasing a Conquest mode (just in the sense the single map for it had been assembled in roughly five minutes and wasn't even textured), so that could have changed. I doubt it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo