Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpy Responds to Server Closures

The Powered by GameSpy Facebook Page has a response from new GameSpy tech owner Glu to the recent closure of multiplayer servers using GameSpy middleware due to non-payment of bills. The company defends itself against claims these shutdowns came with no warning, noting that it is incumbent on their client companies to warn players of server shutdowns. Glu also stands accused of raising rates, and to that they say: "A number of our publisher partners elected to allow their contracts for GameSpy Technologiesí services to lapse by not continuing to pay for these services. In some cases this lapsing ranges back as much as four years. GameSpy Technologies has continued to provide months, and in some cases years, of service support for free. However we cannot be expected to provide a service free of charge to publishers who choose not to renew their service agreements and in some cases remain delinquent in delivering payment for past services." A forum poster on Kotaku notes the GameSpy Technology Pricing Page actually states that free hosting is provided for games with fewer that 1000 monthly players, though it's not clear how that might apply in the cases the recently closed servers. Thanks nin.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 14, 2012, 15:02 Darks

Axis wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:58:
Gamespy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Sounds like they could have been more prudent about how they go about shutting down services though, I doubt we know the whole story.

I wonít disagree that Game spy can do what they want. But however, this is exactly why we as users should have the ability to host our own MP games. DRM or not, if they canít pay the bills then give us the ability to do it ourselves.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 14:35 Nathan Mates

As much as some people may hate Gamespy, shutting it down completely would only compound the mistakes of the past few months. In a effort that *might* boost short term cash flow, GLU Mobile (current owners of Gamespy) killed off the Gamespy open program, have killed matchmaking for some titles and are reportedly raising rates for older titles. Going forward, I expect future use of Gamespy to drop dramatically, as the word gets out-- developers and users are annoyed. (Long term advantage on PC: Valve & Steamworks. This'll only drive more developers to that.)

Completely killing off Gamespy would spread more pain around. Yanking matchmaking services would cut off matchmaking for the hundreds of titles that use Gamespy. Yes, you may not care at all about them. *BUT*, those that do play those titles would be. How do you feel people would like it if say DirectX 1-8 were suddenly removed from Windows? Anyone with an older game -- and gog.com is proving there's a lot of people who are playing those games -- would suddenly be out of luck. That's the kind of damage that simply removing a service w/o providing a solid transition plan (e.g. open sourcing some backend tech) to help end users.

Until just now, Gamespy had provided really reliable matchmaking from 1999. They completely outlived virtually all other competitors at the time. When big companies (*cough* EA *cough*) repeatedly cut off matchmaking after 12-24 months, Gamespy was, by comparison, a saint. Gamespy Open was a great program that I recommended to indie developers looking for basic matchmaking. That's now gone thanks to GLU Mobile.

Disclaimer: I'm a *highly* interested party here. I'm still patching Battlezone 2 in my spare time from home. BZ2 was one of the first games affected by this shutdown. It's not been fun for anyone involved.

11. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:05:
I'm guessing they don't want the service. They want the middleware for their own use and have no interest in being a service provider.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

Creston

10. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 12:29 Verno

StreetPreacher wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 12:13:
Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:02:
In another year, you'll be the proud owner of a service no-one in their right mind will ever pay to use again.
In another year? I'm wondering who in their right mind pays to use them NOW! Can't they and Games For Windows Live just enter into some kind of suicide pact and let us be done with them already?

They do a lot of console related hosting as well.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 12:13 StreetPreacher

In another year, you'll be the proud owner of a service no-one in their right mind will ever pay to use again.
In another year? I'm wondering who in their right mind pays to use them NOW! Can't they and Games For Windows Live just enter into some kind of suicide pact and let us be done with them already?

8. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 12:09 Dev

Axis wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:58:

Sounds like they could have been more prudent about how they go about shutting down services though, I doubt we know the whole story.

LOL, gamespy didn't shut the services down. Glu did.

7. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 11:58 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

6. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 Blackhawk

Yeah, with their actions in the last few weeks, no company is going to integrate their technology going forward. They're dead.  

5. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 Beamer

All they're doing is digging their own grave. Gamespy was already heavily on its way out, and this is going to the final nail in their coffin. So good job, Glu. In another year, you'll be the proud owner of a service no-one in their right mind will ever pay to use again.

Creston

I'm guessing they don't want the service. They want the middleware for their own use and have no interest in being a service provider.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 11:02 Creston

All they're doing is digging their own grave. Gamespy was already heavily on its way out, and this is going to the final nail in their coffin. So good job, Glu. In another year, you'll be the proud owner of a service no-one in their right mind will ever pay to use again.

Creston

3. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 10:44 Verno

I wouldn't put it past them to have revoked the old lifetime contracts either, this sounds like what we see all the time in the hosting business.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

2. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 10:42 Dev

So I'm guessing that's their excuse they are using to crank the rates sky high.  

1. Re: GameSpy Responds to Server Closures Dec 13, 2012, 10:29 Jivaro

Merry X-Mas?  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo