Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

November Steam Hardware & Software Survey

The November 2012 edition of the Steam Hardware & Software Survey is now online, showing what sort of computer hardware is in use by Valve's gaming-centric customers. Thanks HARDOCP.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 Ant

Jerykk wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 07:02:
I'm not really sure how any modern gamer can still be using OSes older than Vista at this point. There are too many games that have DX10/11 features or require Vista or higher.

Recent examples:

XCOM
Hitman: Absolution
Dishonored
Sleeping Dogs
CoD: BLOPS2
BF3
AC3

I held off on upgrading as long as possible but at this point, it's simply not feasible to stick with XP unless you have no interest in new games.
For me, I don't play computer games anymore. :/. The last games I actually bought and played were: World in Conflict, WoW, Modern Warfare 1, Oblivion, C&C3:KW, etc. I did play a few free Steam weekend games (hope I can try Red Orchestra before 1:00 PM PST) and betas (e.g., Diablo 3). For gaming these days, I just play random Flash games that Blue post. That's about it.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 13:33.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 16, 2012, 07:02 Jerykk

I'm not really sure how any modern gamer can still be using OSes older than Vista at this point. There are too many games that have DX10/11 features or require Vista or higher.

Recent examples:

XCOM
Hitman: Absolution
Dishonored
Sleeping Dogs
CoD: BLOPS2
BF3
AC3

I held off on upgrading as long as possible but at this point, it's simply not feasible to stick with XP unless you have no interest in new games.

12. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 15, 2012, 00:11 Ant

Krizzen wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 01:23:
29% of folks are running 1920x1080? =(

I'm still rocking 1280x1024 on my 4:3 and 1360x768 on my widescreen. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
Ditto on my 19" 5:4 1280x1024 LCD monitor with old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 and Debian stable boxes with KVMs (PS/2 and VGA).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 14, 2012, 04:11 InBlack

29,41% users have µTorrent installed....those damn dirty Pirates!  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 14, 2012, 02:46 Mashiki Amiketo

Krizzen wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 01:23:

I'm still rocking 1280x1024 on my 4:3 and 1360x768 on my widescreen. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
The problem is that a lot of monitors these days especially in the 19-22" range, especially the cheap monitors cap out at 1360x768. Blargh, and if you're buying a PC instead of building one that's probably what you're going to get.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 14, 2012, 01:23 Krizzen

8. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 20:32 Mashiki Amiketo

jimnms wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 13:15:
I haven't gotten the Steam survey popup in a while. My system hasn't had any major changes in a couple of years, so that may be why.
Got one two months ago, my machine hadn't had any changes in a few years. Since you're randomly selected good chance you simply weren't chosen.

Though I'm kinda surprised to see Win8 has almost 5% of the market already.

mag wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 15:25:

Win2k's a chunk, I'd bet.
That'd be my guess, there's still some hardcore people who are still hanging on to it. It was a hell of an OS for gaming through once you got it all up and running.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 15:25 mag

Crustacean Soup wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 14:05:
Dev wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 10:51:
I wonder what composes the half a percent category termed "other" ? If its mostly linux flavors, or?

Other versions of OS X and server editions of Windows, maybe?

Win2k's a chunk, I'd bet.

6. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 14:05 Crustacean Soup

Dev wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 10:51:
I wonder what composes the half a percent category termed "other" ? If its mostly linux flavors, or?

Other versions of OS X and server editions of Windows, maybe?

5. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:46 nin

I haven't gotten the Steam survey popup in a while. My system hasn't had any major changes in a couple of years, so that may be why.

Same here.

http://henryandheidi.libsyn.com/rss

4. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:41 Prez

The software part of the list is curious. I was especially tickled by the stat that 100% of Steam users use Steam! Get outta town!!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:23 killer_roach

I had it pop up on my laptop, but I declined to submit with that (mostly because it's still running, very poorly, the Win8 RC - AMD refuses to fully support its GPU in that OS, so I can't play OpenGL games at all in Win8, and DX gaming isn't exactly sprightly).

EDIT: As per the first comment, the question remains whether or not the Steam Hardware Survey is a representative sample of gamers at large - with Mac support being still relatively new and a perceived bias toward so-called "core gamers", not to mention a bias toward people who have embraced digital distribution... there's likely enough question marks in there to disqualify it as a representative sample, but it's likely reflective enough of the customer base to make decisions off of (and possibly to fill in the gaps as necessary for the remainder of the gaming market).

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 13:29.

2. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 13:15 jimnms

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: November Steam Hardware & Software Survey Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 Dev

As usual, please note that the software part hasn't been updated in years.

I believe the respondents are a large enough pool to term this the average gamer computer.

Windows 7 is a good 70%+ of the gamer market.
XP is about 10%
Win 8 is about 5%.
Mac is about 3%

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo