Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Here are last week's football results: Jivaro is in playoff form winning again at 12-4, Verno and Cutter were 11-5, Batman and I were 10-6, mag was 9-7, Rigs missed a game and was 9-6, and Creston was 7-8. Boldness points to Creston for picking a 0-0 tie in the Jets game (and not being too far off). I'd be prouder of being the only one of us outside of Minnesota to pick the Vikings if I did better over all: Batman was the other who picked the Vikes, which would have been enough to edge me if he wasn't the only one on our panel of "experts" to pick the Saints. Games no one called: Steelers and Falcons losing.

Here goes for this week: Bengals, Redskins, Texans, Dolphins, Rams, Buccaneers. Giants, Packers, Lions, Seahawks, Chargers, Raiders, Steelers, Patriots, and Titans. Update: Oops, and Broncos. Thanks FJP.

Picky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pocket Platoon.
Stories: Ex-Star of 'Storage Wars' Says Show Is Fake.
Ban on loud TV commercials takes effect today.
Media: Del Toro casts Portal's Glados in "Pacific Rim".
The Dark Knight Rises Trailer 3: IN LEGO.
Zeitgeist 2012: Year In Review.
Follow-up: McAfee Returns to US, Grateful to Be Home.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Del Toro casts Portal's Glados in Dec 14, 2012, 14:03 Fantaz

"The reveal came during a New York Comic Con interview. "I'm a big fan of Valve," del Toro said, adding "Portal and Left 4 Dead have been instrumental family experiences at my house." When Del Toro made the call to Gabe Newell, del Toro used his daughter's influence to seal the deal. "Like a complete geek," according to Del Toro, she - he didn't specify which of his two children it was - let her love for Valve shine through, and helped clinch it. "My family was instrumental," del Toro beamed."

Video Interview Link

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 Creston

The only standards I hold a comic-book movie to (or any movie, for that matter), is that it's entertaining, has a good storyline, and that if it's a movie about some dude being a grade-A asskicker, his fights actually show that. (For example: the Bourne movies. When he goes up against untrained opponents, he just fucking DESTROYS them in a few seconds.)

The first two Batman movies did this well. DKR fails in all fucking three.

Creston

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 PHJF

You don't consider The Dark Knight more grounded in reality than The Avengers? The villain in one is just a crazy guy who likes to blow things up. The villain in the other is space aliens.

And really, we don't exactly have a lot of "super serious" comic book films. Watchmen and Batman are pretty much it, right? Everything else is just dumb summer fun. Maybe that's why people hold Batman to a higher standard.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 09:01 Verno

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 02:58:
Dark and Gritty? Sure. Realistic? Not even close. The idea of a "realistic" superhero movie makes about as much sense as a dry ocean. Like I said - comic book logic. Real world logic just doesn't apply. That's how I can enjoy the movies anyway.

Sure, that's how we all enjoy them. No one is sitting there fuming about the movie because they didn't explain how Batman made it back to Gotham despite everything in the movie going against his ability to do that. It's not about any individual item on a list, it's about the compounded inconsistencies that build up until your suspension of disbelief is broken. TDK had some but it had a very tight script despite a long runtime and the characterization smoothed out any story problems. TDKR didn't have that same luxury IMHO.

The comic book movie thing doesn't fly for me anymore, I don't pay any less to see a comic book movie so I don't see why I should lower my standards for them. There have been plenty of great comic book movies now that I can't just "gosh its a comic book movie" whenever I see something I don't like. TDK raised the bar, I do feel for Nolan because it was a tough movie to follow up but I think TDKRs problems were avoidable.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 04:20 InBlack

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 11:20:
Since it's got a link here, how on earth did so many people like the Dark Knight Rises? It was probably the most boring movie I watched in the last five years or so.

Oh, gloomy and broody Batman who doesn't want to be Batman anymore for 45 mins. A grand total of THREE fight scenes, horribly choreographed (and filmed. There are at least three to four punches that you can see flat-out miss) with terrible, TERRIBLE sound effects (I swear the lifted those straight out of the 50s TV show. All that was missing was the "BIFF" "POW!" on the screen).

A villain who was as retarded as he looked. How did anyone think that that voice was a good idea? How are you supposed to take the dude seriously? Also, his entire dark legacy was that he was born in a prison? (spoiler: even though he wasn't ) Oookay.

And then the utterly predictable : Batman gets his ass kicked, then goes into a training montage, and comes back and beats the villain. though I didn't see the twist at the end coming, so that was something. And then she stabs him with a knife, and predictably it's a Hollywood wound, because after she yanks the knife out, he just happily walks around like nothing happened.

I fell asleep twice while watching it. One of those I'll chalk up to me being old, but the other one was just because it was plain fucking boring. The Dark Knight was an awesome movie in which a ton of stuff happened, Batman was a grade A asskicker (which is what we watch hero movies for, right?) rather than a whiny turd, the villain was awesome, there were a ton of fights.

And then this?

How on earth did it make so much money? It must have been completely off the good will built-up by the last movie.

Creston

Agreed 100%. Way overrated. Batman Begins was OK, The Dark Knight was just plan brilliant (great script & Acting) but this....I dunno...the villians were just not well thought out they are supposed to be the champions of the underclass but they just want to blow everything up? Whats up with that? Fucking hell...

I have a nifty blue line!

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 02:58 Prez

Dark and Gritty? Sure. Realistic? Not even close. The idea of a "realistic" superhero movie makes about as much sense as a dry ocean. Like I said - comic book logic. Real world logic just doesn't apply. That's how I can enjoy the movies anyway.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 01:50 mag

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 00:49:
Kind of surprised to see people picking apart the logic in a Batman movie of all things. I always thought nerds just could accept "comic book logic". The whole premise of these superheroes from comics is utterly preposterous, but nonetheless most of us grew up loving them right into adulthood. I can see if your issue is with it being boring, but demanding logic in a movie about a dude who dresses up as a bat and flies around rooftops is just weird to me.

Well. This new trilogy has been praised for its dark, gritty, 'realistic', thoughtful, blah blah blah take on Batman. It lost me at the ridiculous end of the second. "What? Uh. Batman has to be blamed as the one that killed Dent? Because... why? Like... there aren't a million other nutjobs in Gotham to blame?"

46. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 00:49 Prez

Kind of surprised to see people picking apart the logic in a Batman movie of all things. I always thought nerds just could accept "comic book logic". The whole premise of these superheroes from comics is utterly preposterous, but nonetheless most of us grew up loving them right into adulthood. I can see if your issue is with it being boring, but demanding logic in a movie about a dude who dresses up as a bat and flies around rooftops is just weird to me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

45. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 00:24 Nadool

PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:41:

Huh...I'm shocked. All of these comments and zero fucks given about the ban on loud commercials. I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

I don't think anyone here is silly enough to watch live television?

That's right, I forgot that DVRs don't record commercials...oh wait. Typically when my girlfriend and I watch TV, there's a dog and cat close by, pillows and blankets, laptops and cell phones. Remotes get lost/we're too lazy to fast forward. This is huge news for us

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2012, 00:04 Cutter

You guys still have loud commercials? We got rid of them years ago. I can't even recall the last time I heard one. Yeah, we put the kaybosh on them PDQ up here.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 23:06 Creston

Huh...I'm shocked. All of these comments and zero fucks given about the ban on loud commercials. I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

They got "banned." All networks are simply going to ignore the "ban", and the FCC will do exactly nothing, like it always does, to enforce it.

Status quo continues, but politicians get to pat each other on the shoulder again for all their "Good work."

Up next (worldwide): the Kyoto Protocol II. Watch all the congratulatory handshakes after that one, even though they know full well they just redefined the problem and didn't do one fucking shit to solve it.

Creston

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 22:05 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:52:

Sporting events...during which I am usually pissing out beer during the commericals. That is about all I watch on live TV anymore. Everything else is on-demand or DVR. A year or so from now when my DirecTV contract is up I will probably switch entirely to broadband based content sources provided I can get all the NFL games in some way. Sports really are the only reason I haven't already switched. In any event, commercials haven't mattered to me for a long time. I have been muting/fast forwarding them for a long time.

I guess for people who do watch them this is a great thing....

I'm actually posting while my Hulu commercials run.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 21:52 Jivaro

Sporting events...during which I am usually pissing out beer during the commericals. That is about all I watch on live TV anymore. Everything else is on-demand or DVR. A year or so from now when my DirecTV contract is up I will probably switch entirely to broadband based content sources provided I can get all the NFL games in some way. Sports really are the only reason I haven't already switched. In any event, commercials haven't mattered to me for a long time. I have been muting/fast forwarding them for a long time.

I guess for people who do watch them this is a great thing....

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 21:41 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 20:55 Verno

Bodolza wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:47:
How are those "little handwaves?" Maybe we don't have the same definition of the term. I gave one of many possible explanations. If simple and plausible isn't what you're looking for, I don't know what would satisfy your requirements for it not to be "handwaving".

Yeah no, I'm not wasting anymore time on this. I can make up silly reasons for every single one of the films inconsistencies and problems all by myself if I ever feel the desire. If you enjoyed the movie, great, I'm a huge Nolan fan who wanted to enjoy it too but didn't due to its many noted problems.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 21:00.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 20:44 Nadool

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 19:50 Jivaro

I don't see how many of you have made it through a fantasy/sci-fi/action/fictional/whatever movie from the last 25 years with a list of complaints like these.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 19:47 Bodolza

Verno wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 18:43:
That's actually a bunch of little handwaves but more importantly it did not take place in the film.
How are those "little handwaves?" Maybe we don't have the same definition of the term. I gave one of many possible explanations. If simple and plausible isn't what you're looking for, I don't know what would satisfy your requirements for it not to be "handwaving".

No one asked for a detailed explanation but when you jump cut from one scene to the other without some transition it can be jarring.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Jump cuts are frequently used to great effect. For a perfect example, see LoTR:RoTK. In the original cut, Aragorn disappears into the Paths of the Dead, which leaves to the surprising and effective moment (unless you've read the books) when he reappears during the battle with the Dead Men in tow. In the extended edition, they show more detail in-between, totally gutting the effectiveness of his appearance during the battle.

There are many pages on google (the dark knight rises plot holes) dedicated to it so if you aren't happy with mine, by all means go have a ball.
I tried. I looked at several lists, but they were similar to your - all complaints about things easily explained, or stuff that was actually spelled out in the movie. How about just one actual plot hole?

They deprived Batman of all resources and dumped him in a desert.
Here's a great example of people apparently just not paying attention. After he exits the pit, the camera pans up, and he's right next to a city. How is that "dumped in the desert"? There was probably an airport within a few miles.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 19:31 Dades

Bodolza wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 18:27:
Here's a perfectly boring, yet plausible explanation: Bruce finds a phone. He calls collect to one of his millionaire buddies in the area. His friend hooks him up with a private plane to the closest airport to Gotham. No passpord required, and he's there by nightfall. He rents a dry suit and snorkels across the river. Shouldn't be too hard for one guy to sneak in at night. The next morning he's in Gotham.

There you go. Perfectly plausible. No handwaving required, and took me about 30 seconds to think up.

I've still have yet to see anyone give an example of an actual plot hole in this movie. Something completely out of character or unexplainable (like Kirk running into Spock in a cavern on some random planet.)

I get what you're saying, they aren't huge logical flaws in the plot but they aren't minor gaps either. The audience can make small leaps in service to the plot but some went against established parts of the movie. They made a special effort to show how impregnable and inescapable Gotham City was. They deprived Batman of all resources and dumped him in a desert. The audience is supposed to have some imagination to fill in small gaps, not fill in incongruent chunks of the story. Some of you are being too harsh on the movie but the writing had a lot of flaws.

It wasn't bad, but there were some things that just irked me the wrong way. The 'leap of faith', Bruce being dead, the mansion being turned into an orphanage, Robin (to a degree). I get it that Nolan didn't want to do another Batman movie, but at the same time it really feels like it was 'sabotaged' so that it couldn't continue due to it.

This is what I thought too but I've only watched it once, I'll have to see how it lives through a second viewing.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 18:56 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 12:38:
Good to see I wasn't the only one who thought it sucked.

Creston

It wasn't bad, but there were some things that just irked me the wrong way. The 'leap of faith', Bruce being dead, the mansion being turned into an orphanage, Robin (to a degree). I get it that Nolan didn't want to do another Batman movie, but at the same time it really feels like it was 'sabotaged' so that it couldn't continue due to it.

That being said if I ever win the lottery, I'm buying a Tumbler, and going to make it street legal.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo