Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Community Market Beta

Valve announces the launch of beta testing of the Steam Community Market, allowing players to buy and sell virtual items for games played on Steam. To begin with this will only involve Team Fortress 2 consumables and tools, including paints, keys, and crates, but it may expand to other games following the beta period. There are other stipulations, such as the requirement of Steam Guard, Steam Wallet, and a 5% per transaction fee. All the details are provided in this FAQ.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 14:03 fiftykyu

After careful research it's apparent: the next digital junk mogul I am not. Put 25 of my (completely worthless) crates on this market yesterday. Currently I am the proud owner of Two Cents American.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 Dev

fiftykyu wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 09:42:
nin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 22:24:
I'd be happy just to register steam serials as gifts instead of just for my account.

Wow, that's a great idea. Why the heck not?
They may not want all those serials made into giftable items. For instance they may see that as causing a potential decrease in sales, which the small fee may not make up.

9. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 fiftykyu

nin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 22:24:
I'd be happy just to register steam serials as gifts instead of just for my account.

Wow, that's a great idea. Why the heck not?

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 02:53:
Get fucked Valve. This is WRONG and the game development industry needs to stop with in-game crack items. Basically turning people into drug dealers and taking a cut. It's sick.

Steam Drug Lab more like it. People get addicted to this shit. No normal person wants to buy crappy in game items.

Apologies for replying to troll...

Perhaps it's not (only) Valve wanting a piece of the action, but possibly also to make the real-money trading that's already happening safer. There's a whole non-Valve reputation infrastructure built up outside of the game to help traders avoid being ripped off. This way you wouldn't have to worry about it, just set your price and let Valve deal with the stolen credit cards or paypal scams for you.

8. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 09:28 Cutter

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 00:38:
No different than D3 AH just with potential for more games.

Not the same thing because Valve isn't rigging the games to coerce people into using an AH to kit out their characters. So long as this is as far as it goes I could care less because I'll never use it anyway. If you have to buy virtual items to win HL3 then I'm out!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 02:53 netnerd85

Get fucked Valve. This is WRONG and the game development industry needs to stop with in-game crack items. Basically turning people into drug dealers and taking a cut. It's sick.

Steam Drug Lab more like it. People get addicted to this shit. No normal person wants to buy crappy in game items.

What is the “Team Fortress 2 Fee”?

The Team Fortress 2 Fee is a game specific fee that is determined and collected by the game publisher. The Team Fortress 2 Fee is currently set at 10%.

Valve and their evil DRM need to be stopped. Now.

6. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 13, 2012, 00:38 dj LiTh

No different than D3 AH just with potential for more games.  

5. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 12, 2012, 22:25 jacobvandy

You're buying and selling ITEMS for Steam games, not the games themselves. So basically it's trading with real money involved. They had to know that people were doing it anyway, so why not support it officially.  

4. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 12, 2012, 22:24 nin

Techie714 © wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 22:12:
Unless I can actually sell/trade my Steam games I have no interest in this....

Although you all should be happy: you would have gotten THQ bundles out the ying yang come xmas...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 12, 2012, 22:18 Blackhawk

This may have been done because of Diablo III's auction house. They may not have any particular plans for it, but if D3's model ends up being repeated by other publishers, they want the infrastructure in place to support it (or else they wouldn't be able to sell those games.)  

2. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 12, 2012, 22:12 Techie714 ©

Unless I can actually sell/trade my Steam games I have no interest in this....  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Steam Community Market Beta Dec 12, 2012, 22:11 Dev

More than likely this was pushed by the german thing about needing to resell "used" digital content.

I'm quite curious to see if they allow you to sell extra games that are sitting in the steam inventory at some point.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo