Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold

The license for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of first-person shooters has been acquired by bitComposer Entertainment, following the collapse of former license holder GSC Game World. Here's word:

bitComposer Entertainment AG has acquired the exclusive worldwide rights for future video game adaptations of the acclaimed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brand from Boris Natanovich Strygatsky. This is the second strong international license that the Eschborn-based company has acquired within the space of a few years, and this move ensures that the successful series will continue. Further details will be released shortly.

“The acquisition of the S.T.AL.K.E.R. license serves as an important cornerstone for the further international orientation of bitComposer Entertainment AG,” says Stefan Weyl, member of the bitComposer Entertainment AG executive board. “For us, this brand represents a bridge to an important segment of triple-A products and a milestone in the history of the company. We would like to express our gratitude to Boris Natanovich Strygatsky.”

“S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a reputable brand with a long history of success. To date, the series has sold many millions of units worldwide,” says Wolfgang Duhr, member of the bitComposer Entertainment AG executive board. “Naturally, we’d like to tap into the success of this series, and we see a great deal of potential for the future.”

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 13, 2012, 15:26 Beelzebud

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:42:
An RPG based on Roadside Picnic could be amazing if done properly. I doubt we'll see anything like that, though.

Well... isn't that STALKER?

I read the book recently. It started amazing, but they spend too much time on the stuff we don't care about. It promises amazing things, but it never pays off.

Speak for yourself, and yourself only. "We" care about different things. I found Roadside Picnic to be a very thought provoking book.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 13, 2012, 02:26 theyarecomingforyou

Vomulus wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:02:
Not so fast. It seems bitComposer did not acquire the rights to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game franchise, but rather, the rights to make a game based on the short story Roadside Picnic and its subsequent film, Stalker -- both of which inspired the GSC S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Confused? It appears bitComposer is as well.
Yes, but did they acquire the right to call a game STALKER 2? If so then none of the rest matters. As usual, the way GSCGW conducts itself is a joke and if they've fucked over the publisher for their games then what does the company have left?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 20:00 jacobvandy

Prez wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:59:
So what happens to STALKER 2 - which supposedly had been in development for a while before the trouble at GSC - if BitComposer didn't actually acquire the STALKER license as they first claimed?

Ol' Sergey still has that. I love all the comments on the official STALKER Facebook post about this, of people telling him to fuck off for ruining the franchise.

29. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 19:57 Silicon Avatar

I want to see an RPG based on A Boy and His Dog.  

28. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 18:59 Prez

So what happens to STALKER 2 - which supposedly had been in development for a while before the trouble at GSC - if BitComposer didn't actually acquire the STALKER license as they first claimed?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 17:38 yuastnav

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:01:
An RPG based on Roadside Picnic could be amazing if done properly. I doubt we'll see anything like that, though.

I read the book recently. It started amazing, but they spend too much time on the stuff we don't care about. It promises amazing things, but it never pays off.

That's mostly because it was never their intention to write about the stuff you care about; it is rather a traditional science fiction book, i.e. in its truest sense of the word.

The book may have been an inspiration for GSC but the game has barely any connection to the book at all. The title, Stalker, was also actually taken from the movie since it never shows up anywhere in the book.

26. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 17:25 jacobvandy

Wow, lol. I am almost embarrassed for them... Still, they can (have to, now) make a very similarly themed game, and they won't have to take liberties/fudge the details to avoid infringing on the book license like GSC did. AFAIK they didn't have an actual license, they were only inspired by Roadside Picnic and the Stalker film. I wonder if bitComposer can now make Stalker: The Game, because that would be convenient in light of this faux pas.  

25. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 17:01 ItBurn

24. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 16:42 Beelzebud

23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 16:02 Vomulus

Not so fast. It seems bitComposer did not acquire the rights to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game franchise, but rather, the rights to make a game based on the short story Roadside Picnic and its subsequent film, Stalker -- both of which inspired the GSC S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Confused? It appears bitComposer is as well.

In its press release announcement, bitComposer repeatedly used the name/acronym S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and even referenced the previous games in the franchise. But according to GSC World's official Facebook page for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., bitComposer did not acquire the rights to the trademarked games.

If this is the case, it appears bitComposer made a huge mistake -- and likely shelled out a significant sum of money -- to make a Stalker game not a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.

Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/stalker-project-2/1226916p1.html

22. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 15:28 Yosemite Sam

The complete MOD worked fine for me with steam version of CoP. Played SoC and Cop with the MOD last year, makes both games even better. I never played vanilla CoP so don't know how different the two versions are but IMO getting caught outside when a blowout is starting in CoP is one of the most unnerving experiences Ive had in gaming ever.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

21. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 15:05 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:19:
The STALKER facebook page doesn't seem to agree with this: http://www.facebook.com/officialstalker
Sounds like bitComposer Entertainment AG believes that GSC Game World has violated their contract and forfeited ownership of the STALKER brand. STALKER 2 is beginning to become as much of a joke as DNF!

20. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 14:17 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:55:
MajorD wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:53:
Yeah, CS was meh. I'm sure you are aware of it, but if not, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is best played with the 'Complete' Mod, and it is available for all three games. Somebody here on Blue's News posted the info and link some time ago, but I don't remember who it was. Anyway, it is supposed to hold true to the original art styles and story, but I don't know if it does, as I've only played SoC and CS with the 'Complete' mod. It looks really good, plays well, and is worth checking out for anyone that isn't familiar with the mod. Good hunting!

Thanks Major. I bought this last year and have yet to play it, so I'll be checking out this mod for sure.

That does sound like a neat mod. Might check that out as well - Thanks!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 13:55 jdreyer

MajorD wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:53:
Yeah, CS was meh. I'm sure you are aware of it, but if not, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is best played with the 'Complete' Mod, and it is available for all three games. Somebody here on Blue's News posted the info and link some time ago, but I don't remember who it was. Anyway, it is supposed to hold true to the original art styles and story, but I don't know if it does, as I've only played SoC and CS with the 'Complete' mod. It looks really good, plays well, and is worth checking out for anyone that isn't familiar with the mod. Good hunting!

Thanks Major. I bought this last year and have yet to play it, so I'll be checking out this mod for sure.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 13:19 ItBurn

The STALKER facebook page doesn't seem to agree with this: http://www.facebook.com/officialstalker

"In view of the rumors appearing in press, we find it necessary to inform that GSC Game World and Sergey Grigorovich remain to be the sole owners of all the intellectual property rights to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series and the brand overall, including all the trademarks, the game universe, the technology etc. This can be easily verified with the trademark services online.

From time to time news on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brand purchase by this or that company appear over the Internet. We relate such a keen interest in the brand to its exceptional popularity. Even the purchase of rights to create a “Roadside picnic” book-based game by a small publisher is presented as the continuation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise. We have doubts regarding the mentioned product by bitComposer (the publisher of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat on some territories), since the latter has significant debts in terms of fulfilling the obligations under the existing contract between our companies."

17. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 13:17 theyarecomingforyou

I really enjoyed SoC and CS - the former for its scare factor; the latter for its narrative focus and better AI - but CoP did nothing for me, as they dialled back the graphics and they simply hadn't done anything to advance the formula. The genre had simply moved on and playing through a rehashed version of the previous two games was a real grind.

I'd love to see a proper sequel with a new engine and more refined gameplay, as it's certainly a compelling brand. It's a shame that they made such a mess of development - I imagine that running years behind schedule with the original game was probably responsible for most of their financial troubles, while the technical issues that plagued the series must have put off a lot of people.

Metro 2033 was a much more polished and narratively driven game, created from a splinter group that worked on the original STALKER. It's a complete different genre of game but it was much better than CoP. I'm really looking forward to Metro: Last Light.

16. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 12:51 Prez

http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker-call-of-pripyat/mods

If you are having trouble running CoP Complete (it seems to be a "YMMV" kind of thing) the link provided gives a list of all the mods in the moddb database that you can use instead. I haven't tried them all but many review extremely well by the community.

I know the Atmosfear mod and any one of the weapon mods available work together without a problem and will get you close to a "Complete" experience. "Misery" looks good and is getting regular updates but I haven't tried it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 12:45 KilgoreTrout

Have they fixed the Complete mod for CoP yet? I was all excited to dive right into it, but I heard that particular variant (unlike the one for the other two games) is hideously broken and the developer abandoned it.

I played CoP with the complete mod shortly after it was released. It worked just fine. Maybe some little glitch somewhere, but difficult to know if it was the mod or the game.

CoP is the most polished of the three, but the concept started to get a little old. Some segments of ShoC were among the most intense gaming moments of my life, though.

14. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 12:34 MajorD

Parias wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:42:
Have they fixed the Complete mod for CoP yet? I was all excited to dive right into it, but I heard that particular variant (unlike the one for the other two games) is hideously broken and the developer abandoned it. This sort of mothballed my drive to get into CoP (which is still outstanding on my to-play list), because I just didn't feel like throwing away an entire day trying to figure out how to get a bunch of different mods working when "Complete" usually makes it so easy.

About a year ago, or less, I installed CoP, and then the 'Complete Mod' right after. I don't recall there being any issues installing the mod, or playing it. I've played 'very' little of CoP so far; maybe 30 minutes, and in that short play time the game looked great, sounded great, and seemed to play well overall. Maybe I didn't get into the game far enough to uncover any breaks or bugs.

Prez has more up-to-date info on CoP Complete Mod in his post below.....I'll have to go check my version now to ensure I have the latest too. Thanks Prez. Wink

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 12:40.

13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 12:28 Prez

This is great news simply for the fact that we will see more STALKER games. There really isn't anything else like them. I think they are fantastic - the Complete mods for each make the games seminal experiences. Rumor has it that the Call of Pripyat version of the mod was buggy and unstable, but it depends on who you ask. In truth CoP is the most "complete" STALKER game at release so it needs a Complete modnthe least. Here's the link :

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 13:25.

- Mahatma Gandhi

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo