Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional

Following a hint on Monday, Funcom announces it has removed the subscription requirement from The Secret World, and the MMORPG can now be played online for just the cost of the game. "With this recent change there is no reason not to join and take part in ‘The Secret World’," says Game Director Joel Bylos. "Most players end up having a ton of fun once they delve into the myths and legends of 'The Secret World,' and we believe the game has the potential to be even more successful without the subscription entry barrier. It is an ambitious and very exciting move for us!" Word is: "There are no complicated rules or restrictions, no complex matrixes telling you what you can and cannot access. Pay Once, Play Forever – it’s that simple." They note that purchasing the game now will include all the content from the upcoming Issue #5, and this FAQ explains that future content packs will be optional purchases. There is also still the option to purchase a membership, which offers monthly bonus points and game store discounts. Players' remaining subscriptions will be transferred to the new membership program.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 NegaDeath

deqer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 23:58:
Yup, doesn't bother you that loot mechanics can be changed, and changed whenever and to whatever that benefits the company by making you grind longer. Doesn't bother, right? cool.

As there is no monthly fee no it doesn't benefit the company if they change loot mechanics. And if the games economy was weakened by being flooded with those goods its understandable why they tweaked it. Don't give up fighting that white whale though Ahab, I'm sure one day the world will see your point of view and ban "crack" multiplayer games. Probably next tuesday.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 23:58 deqer

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 21:44:
deqer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 20:17:
Yes, don't you just love playing games you don't own? When will you realize that you're nothing to the company; and the company change/do whatever they want and whenever they want because their EULA--that you didnt read, but agreed to--says they can.

Seeing as its an MMO, no none of that bothers me. Man those first world problems are a bitch.
Yup, doesn't bother you that loot mechanics can be changed, and changed whenever and to whatever that benefits the company by making you grind longer. Doesn't bother, right? cool.

Yup, first world problems. Are problems for first world people. Not my problem. If it was my problem, then I can live with it. Hell, I could live in a jungle if that's all I had.

27. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 21:44 NegaDeath

deqer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 20:17:
Yes, don't you just love playing games you don't own? When will you realize that you're nothing to the company; and the company change/do whatever they want and whenever they want because their EULA--that you didnt read, but agreed to--says they can.

Seeing as its an MMO, no none of that bothers me. Man those first world problems are a bitch.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 20:17 deqer

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:12:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:15:
GW2 was great at first, but Anet has really nerfed the game, reduced loot, no loot, or just plain junk,made it into a grinding game, or (what they really) spend real money on gems. Not near as much fun as it was.

That might explain why I rarely find yellow loot now. I used to follow the timer website for the dragon battles and pick up a few yellows per fight, now its all blue and green.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 20:02 HorrorScope

Slashman wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:20:
The problem being without a demo or trial people will still not ever buy it.

I think that is still a very valid point. It's still $30 to try, BtP has that barrier, where FtP does not. Both will try to sell you stuff in their crap shops no matter. So imo if you want the masses to try it FtP is more inviting.

So how does Guild Wars 2 work again?

This wasn't sought after like GW's 2. And I didn't say it can't work, but more will try FtP over BtP all other things being equal. Yes if you can get a lot of people to actually pay for it, BtP is better for the seller.

24. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 19:30 Steele Johnson

Planetside 2 does this and I ended up buying a 6 month subscription because I tried it and liked it. It's as simple as that. If you make a fun game, it will sell. That has always been the golden rule.  

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 18:12 NegaDeath

GW2 was great at first, but Anet has really nerfed the game, reduced loot, no loot, or just plain junk,made it into a grinding game, or (what they really) spend real money on gems. Not near as much fun as it was.

That might explain why I rarely find yellow loot now. I used to follow the timer website for the dragon battles and pick up a few yellows per fight, now its all blue and green.

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 18:07 Flatline

"I didn't buy GW2... I never play a MMO without either beta or trial. And they didn't let me in the beta for Secret World (or GW2, for that matter) ;p "

Smart!!!!

Wish all the mags would review it again, I am confident that they would all lower their scores.

Maybe I'll give this one a go.

I had the opposite experience in GW2. Whereas at launch you'd get awesome loot drops every 5 levels or so I upgrade my gear every level or two with less-spectacular drops. Which I prefer. It's not as lucrative on the auction hall, but that's okay. The AH is funky though. I put in a super-low bid on materials, and usually get my order filled on the weekends when everyone plays, then I either resell at market prices or refine mats and sell if the profit is higher. I've been investing in my guild so I haven't accumulated tons of gold, but I generate a gold or two every week aside from playing, which isn't bad all in all. If I stop spending and just keep reinvesting, I'm sure I could make massive amounts of gold every week just by asking to buy stuff at cheaper than market prices.

The interface needs to be refined though for the AH. The buy/sell information needs to be available in both the buy and sell screens so you can see where the market is without having to click back and forth.

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 17:15 Marvin T. Martian

"I didn't buy GW2... I never play a MMO without either beta or trial. And they didn't let me in the beta for Secret World (or GW2, for that matter) ;p "

Smart!!!!

Wish all the mags would review it again, I am confident that they would all lower their scores.

Maybe I'll give this one a go.

20. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 15:10 PropheT

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:38:
Anyone here actually play it?
Curious with the cash shop -- is it a Pay2Win or overall required to have a pleasant experience? Or only things that are needed at whatever 'end game' exists or aesthetics?

There's only cosmetic gear on the shop, so it's completely optional.

19. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 15:04 saluk

Enjoyed the game and didn't feel like continuing to sub. Now I can go continue the story, woo!  

18. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 13:35 KS

ETA: My mistake! This is the opposite of what I want, which is free trial.

As I am an employed engineer, I have no issues with purchases or monthly fees. However, since City of Heroes closed, I have only been playing Tera. Free trial is helpful as I have been burned on stupid new MMORPGs many times. More often than not, actually. For every CoH, WoW, Eve, or EQ, there's two or three Horizons or Vanguards. (Or Star Trek or Star Wars: Old Republic)

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 13:53.

17. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 13:28 Vazz

I've been playing it since beta. It's the first mmo that I've been hooked on for a while. Great character customization, gameplay and fun pvp in fusang. It's good that it's free now so I can get my cheapo friends to play again. Also don't judge it based on the first hour of play since I think the first hour is the worst since it throws a ton of story at you and a tutorial level. Once you get to Kingsmouth and do a bunch of quests there and get the hang of it is when the game really becomes fun.
Also for those wondering about a trial, there has been a trial for a long time. If it doesn't work I'd recommend contacting customer support and see if they help you, I'm sure they will. If not, I have two 'buddy keys' I can send but they only last 24 hours.

16. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 13:26 Bill Borre

Yeah, I didn't buy GW2 either. Is TSW worth buying?  

15. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 13:15 Fion

Nice to see this. Funcom isn't new to B2P/F2P, they offered the original Anarchy Online for free, with only expansions requiring a monthly fee.

GW2 has shown that a B2P MMOG can be quite successful. As to TSW I found the game fun in beta, but not worth the $15 a month. Though granted, after GW2 I can't ever go back to paying a monthly fee personally. But as B2P I'll def pick this up at some point, probably when I next see it on sale on steam.

14. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 12:38 Ceribaen

Anyone here actually play it?
Curious with the cash shop -- is it a Pay2Win or overall required to have a pleasant experience? Or only things that are needed at whatever 'end game' exists or aesthetics?

13. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 12:30 Agent.X7

aesir05 wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:15:
btallas wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:54:
Not sure if it's still valid but here you go: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/play_the_trial_now

Thanks for that, I do not know why so many MMOs refuse trials when they launch.
Star Wars did that initially as well and I really wanted to try it but I'm not gonna commit money to an MMO until I have tried it.

Will try out Secret World now

They refuse to release trials when they launch because they know a large percentage of people can't wait 5 seconds for a cup of coffee, let alone a year for a trial. Those people end up buying the game and then they have their money, whether or not the end up playing longer.

Those people dwindle off after six months or a year, and then the game releases a trial to get more players.

BTW, GW2 just had a trial period in November. You had to be invited by a current player.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 12:15 aesir05

btallas wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:54:
Not sure if it's still valid but here you go: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/play_the_trial_now

Thanks for that, I do not know why so many MMOs refuse trials when they launch.
Star Wars did that initially as well and I really wanted to try it but I'm not gonna commit money to an MMO until I have tried it.

Will try out Secret World now

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 Yakubs

Slashman wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:39:
So how does Guild Wars 2 work again?

Hype.

10. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 12:13 eRe4s3r

routes to german site, account creation wants payment details.. no trial anywhere. I tried you know Apparently this is not valid for the german version.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo