Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Trion Layoffs

Trion has laid off a number of the developers of RIFT, their MMORPG, reports Gamasutra. They say they learned this from one of the impacted former employees who tells them as much as a third of the team, about 40, have been let go, including artists and designers. They have a confirmation of the moves from Trion, saying they are "in response to market conditions, product timelines and the natural evolution of our company."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 21:43 Sepharo

Rift is the only MMO I've ever considered going back to. Mind you, I haven't... but I've considered it. Can't say the same about any of the other major MMOs I've played.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 19:10 Saboth

As someone that's played about 15 different MMOs, Rift was the best, outside of WoW for subscription games. It definitely was not a "clone" in any sense of the word, unless you consider WoW a clone of EQ, which means you define clone in the broadest sense of the word.  

12. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 19:03 Prez

From everything I had heard, RIFT was the best fantasy MMO outside of WoW. If they are struggling then clearly the subscription model must be dead for all except WoW. At this point I'm not even sure WoW could do as well with subscription numbers in a sequel.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

11. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 17:58 Agent.X7

Kobalt wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 14:47:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:38:

They made a generic clone without multiple starting areas

Wait what, there was multiple starting areas. Did you even play the game?

One for each faction, not for each race. Thanks for being Literal Larry, though.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 17:56 Titus

gilgalad75 wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 14:25:
Add to that the fact that they stole every single world of warcraft feature (Hi Bioware), and I just got a bad taste in my mouth.

Unlike Blizzard, who invented the genre as well as every feature in WoW themselves..

9. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 14:47 Kobalt

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:38:

They made a generic clone without multiple starting areas

Wait what, there was multiple starting areas. Did you even play the game?

8. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 14:25 gilgalad75

A soulless, shameless World of Warcraft rip-off. I wonder why it failed. I installed the trial version and could not play it for more than 15 minutes. I had to force myself to get past the character creation screen - the graphics are that uninspired.

Add to that the fact that they stole every single world of warcraft feature (Hi Bioware), and I just got a bad taste in my mouth.

7. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 13:47 Wallshadows

What's the point of having extra artists and designers around once an expansion ships? Sounds like they're doing what every other MMO studio does once an expansion ships and gets rid of redundancy until they have another expansion up their sleeve.

They would be losing money if they kept everyone on board during the downtime between expansions.

6. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 12:38 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:54:
I feel bad for Trion, they made a great MMO but it came after six years of WoW and most people are burned out.

They made a generic clone without multiple starting areas, and added "dynamic" events. Oooh, the art is different. The best thing they could do for their game is go FtP. I think it's been pretty much proven that subscription games don't really work out too well unless your name is Blizzard. I'm actually surprised that Trion had held on to that model as long as they have.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

5. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 12:06 Ozmodan

Typical MMO, can't hold subscribers. Just another Wow clone. Besides the rifts there is nothing innovative about their games.  

4. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 12:02 deqer

If you can't handle servicing millions of people, then maybe you shouldn't be in business?

Stop luring us.

3. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 10:54 Ceribaen

They did just release an expansion -- so probably less of a team required at that point. Similar to other post launch layoffs recently.

I'm actually considering picking it up and trying a three month stint again (been about a year off).

2. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 10:54 Verno

I feel bad for Trion, they made a great MMO but it came after six years of WoW and most people are burned out.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

1. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 10:37 Marvin T. Martian

Tick Tick Tick  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo