Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Game Reviews Dec 13, 2012, 07:52 NewMaxx

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 23:55:
See, that's just it. I could literally download Baldur's Gate from GoG on almost any computer, install a single patch, and play it perfectly with no problems whatsoever. As a result, I felt there was simply no need for this "Enhanced Edition",

Well, to be fair, I don't really think it's worth $20 (for the PC version). It does have things that a GOG version + mods doesn't have, actually, and it also makes it easier for people to play without having to worry about those in the first place. Yet I freely admit I'd be one of those people who'd be just fine doing a lot of the work myself and living without the benefits (I did say I'm running BG2 without EE). Bottom-line: EE is great, but it'd be better without a forced and overly expensive price tag.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 23:55 JohnBirshire

Dear Reader, let none of these unenthusiastic comments about the lack of enhancements in the 'enhanced edition' detract you from the fact that...

You might find this edition to be the most workable version of Baldur's Gate.

See, that's just it. I could literally download Baldur's Gate from GoG on almost any computer, install a single patch, and play it perfectly with no problems whatsoever. As a result, I felt there was simply no need for this "Enhanced Edition", but after posting this opinion here I got flamed by a fanboi, lol. The only advantage to this version is being able to play it on other systems other than PC's, but from what I read it isn't the most intuitive experience. I'd like to give it a try on something like my Droid DNA, but I just can't imagine trying to play this game on a touchscreen.

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 22:26 wtf_man

I bought for my iPad.

Only played the tutorial a couple of times, because I'm trying to get the hang of the controls before I play the campaign. It's not bad... but looting and targeting an enemy while paused is a little kludgy... however that has been complained about many times on their forums... so I'm guessing there will be an update that improves those things on the tablets.

Since I have some time off work for the Holidays... that's when I'll devote some time to playing it through.

12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 20:27 NewMaxx

Bhruic wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:05:
I played through the EE and actually finished it, unlike my previous playthroughs ... Definitely didn't have any issues with the game graphically. A few bugs, but hard to say if they were already there, or caused by the modifications. ... It inspired me enough to import the character into BG2 and play through that as well. And that definitely made it clear where some of the improvements in BG:EE were, playing at high res (with a mod to do so) in BG2 makes the UI really poor. ... For me, the nostalgia matched the reality.

Same! Played it all the way through and quite comprehensively, at that. Certainly some of the old mechanics can grate a bit, and there are some noticeable bugs (that can be fixed with debug mode), but overall it was a nice experience. I also imported to BG2 and am enjoying that a lot, although I agree that I wish it had the "EE" treatment already.

Honestly I have had the opposite reaction to a lot of comments in this thread...BG1 + BG2, if anything, served to remind me just how shallow modern games are in so many ways, and in how many ways they are just copying the past. It's true I've been leaning on older games a lot lately, but still...

I find myself time and again in BG2 just shaking my head at something continuously awesome (a series of cool events, basically) and just trying to wonder where that impression has gone. New Vegas gave me a little of that taste. A recent interview with Chris Avellone about Project Eternity actually touches on exactly this feeling that he wants to again offer to players.

11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 17:58 Optional Nickname!

Dear Reader, let none of these unenthusiastic comments about the lack of enhancements in the 'enhanced edition' detract you from the fact that...

You might find this edition to be the most workable version of Baldur's Gate.

10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 15:58 avianflu

I was hoping for the animated characters to be higher res in the "enhanced version." We always knew the painted backgrounds couldnt be re-sampled so that's fine. As it is, the game gets gets too fuzzy when zoomed in. All things considered, 800x600 isn't the worst thing to play BG in and I am not particularly impressed by the enhanced version.  

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 15:05 Bhruic

I played through the EE and actually finished it, unlike my previous playthroughs (I tend to re-roll characters a lot, so I see the first part a lot, the last less often). Definitely didn't have any issues with the game graphically. A few bugs, but hard to say if they were already there, or caused by the modifications.

It inspired me enough to import the character into BG2 and play through that as well. And that definitely made it clear where some of the improvements in BG:EE were, playing at high res (with a mod to do so) in BG2 makes the UI really poor.

For me, the nostalgia matched the reality.

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 12:49 Verno

Very nice Jivaro. Sometimes the scanlines and all of the other visual cruft that emulators tend to smooth over adds a lot to the experience. Nothing like playing old NES/SNES stuff on a big CRT, we have one in the basement that I use for that purpose. My girlfriends daughter plays stuff once in awhile too, she really likes Bubble Bobble.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 12:39 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:14:
I actually have better luck replaying old NES/SNES/Genesis era console stuff than I do old computer games.

I just bought a old NES and replaced the 72 pin connector. Going to give the case a once over so it looks better as well. The previous owner wasn't a smoker, so it isn't yellow or anything, but it definitly could use some cleaning. Found the original SMB games, Double Dribble, Commando, Ninja Gaiden, and a few others to start off with. Still need to locate the gold cartridge editions of Legend of Zelda and Adventures of Link, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and a few others that I consider "must haves". The ones I have bought play well and are still fun. Thanks to the new connector I don't even have to bang on the console or anything to make them work..lol. More surprisingly, they actually look better on my TV then the Wii downloadable versions (where applicable of course). I have no idea why that is, does anybody else?

I also have started building up some Genesis games, but sadly the system I found had some issues so I returned it to the seller. Maybe after Christmas I will go find another one.

My step-son keeps asking me why I don't buy one of those cheap clone systems that plays like 3 different retro console cartridges and supports multiple controllers. I tried explaining that he is missing the point but he simply doesn't get it.

6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:15:
I still enjoy playing through older games that I liked back in the day, though like mch said the novelty wears off and I don't usually finish it. But going back and playing old games for the first time just doesn't seem to work with me. For example, I never played the original Xcom (Blashphemy! Gamer card revoked!), so I tried it before the new game was out. Yeeaaaahhhh, that didn't work out. Still bought the new one as the style of game appealed to me anyways but the old one was just too primitive for my taste.

XCOM is one of the few I can easily return to. The first 30 minutes or so are eyebleed city, then it's ok. And some of the newer mods for it fix a few of the things I hated about it. I don't remember if they fix the zero-clips-during-base-defense issue, but you can turn off PsiOps. All things considered I despise PsiOps.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 12:15 NegaDeath

I still enjoy playing through older games that I liked back in the day, though like mch said the novelty wears off and I don't usually finish it. But going back and playing old games for the first time just doesn't seem to work with me. For example, I never played the original Xcom (Blashphemy! Gamer card revoked!), so I tried it before the new game was out. Yeeaaaahhhh, that didn't work out. Still bought the new one as the style of game appealed to me anyways but the old one was just too primitive for my taste.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 11:39 mch

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:14:
I actually have better luck replaying old NES/SNES/Genesis era console stuff than I do old computer games.

Man, I've gotten halfway to 3/4s of the way through Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc more times than I can count.

PSN: CaseDesignate

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 JohnBirshire

Nostalgia really is interesting, we seem to remember things being far better than they actually were. I've bought numerous old games thanks to gog.com, but only end up playing them for a few minutes usually. When Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 came out I played them religiously, exploring every nook and cranny for months. Loaded them up last week, the interface was so atrocious I couldnt stand it. While playing Tie Fighter the graphics were so awful I wanted to throw up. Etc etc etc. I guess its better to let most of these games exist in your memory, unless you have a tremendous amount of willpower.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 Verno

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 10:55 fiftykyu

My first thought reading about this Enhanced Edition was wow, I'd love to play that again. But then I remember trying to replay Baldur's Gate with that mod that lets you use the Baldur's Gate 2 engine and so on. Just couldn't keep going with it. Guess nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

On an unrelated note, tried to play "Legend of Grimrock" in the old style, i.e. with the automap turned off, but that ended quickly. Looked like a fun game, reminded me of Dungeon Master or Wizardry or Akalabeth or whatever came before that.

Would love to send all these things back in time to my teenaged self so I could enjoy them properly. Ah, the shame one feels when Steam points out I've finished Faerie Solitaire but couldn't manage an hour with something great.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo