Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 12/12/12! If you find taking interest in such repeating dates tedious, you'll be happy to know you probably won't have to suffer the next one, since it's due on January 1, 2101. We still have 11/12/13 next year, and 13/12/11 in yy/mm/dd territories, but unless my calculations are incorrect (and I can't see how they could be after I've devoted 10 seconds to thinking about this), those will be the last such date games we'll all get to play.

R.I.P.: Indian sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar dies at 92.

Dated Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: SkullFace.
Science: Coffee Lowers the Risk of Oral Cancer by 49 Percent. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Man of Steel trailer reveals Jor-El and General Zod. Thanks Neutronbeam.
EXCELLENT Anti-Burglary Device From Holland.
Senior Tech Lesson #3: Google Plus.
Acceleration Effect - Best Of Acceleration.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 08:34 Verno

Gonna interrupt this nerdfest with my foot ball picks

Bengles, Falcons, Broncos, Packers, Redskins, Texans, Dolphins, Saints, Rams, Lions, Seahawks, Chargers, Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots and finally THE JETS

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 08:13 crypto

kanniballl wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 07:44:
crypto wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:37:
For the first time, I'm wondering how superman shaves his face...

Some depictions, like the ABC series "Lois and Clark," had him using his heat ray vision to burn them off (like a laser). Either bouncing it off a regular mirror, or a special high-tech/alien mirror that could withstand his beam.

Another option I guess is the "Hancock" route. In that film, the hero's fingernails were so strong and sharp that he used them to shave.

There have been other suggestions when this concept comes up from time to time, usually involving Superman's 3 physical vulnerabilities: Kryptonite, Red Sunlight, and Magic.

-
wow, and I thought Kryptonians didn't grow facial hair.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 07:44 kanniballl

crypto wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:37:

Some depictions, like the ABC series "Lois and Clark," had him using his heat ray vision to burn them off (like a laser). Either bouncing it off a regular mirror, or a special high-tech/alien mirror that could withstand his beam.

Another option I guess is the "Hancock" route. In that film, the hero's fingernails were so strong and sharp that he used them to shave.

There have been other suggestions when this concept comes up from time to time, usually involving Superman's 3 physical vulnerabilities: Kryptonite, Red Sunlight, and Magic.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 07:12 InBlack

Actually most conspiracy theorists disregard the fact (wow surprising isnt it) that the Mayans never heard of the Julian Calendar and with it the Leap Year!!

(You see the Earth completes one revolution around the sun in 365 and 1/4 days, and not 365 days)

When you correctly convert their calendar with leap years in mind, the world actually ended already quite a while ago...

But lets not let facts get in the way of some End of Days celebration shall we??

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2012, 04:42.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 03:04 nin

Tehol wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 02:21:
isn't world supposed to end by 12/12/12?
stupid mayans, i was rooting for end of world thing.

Another week or so...live it up!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 02:21 Tehol

isn't world supposed to end by 12/12/12?
stupid mayans, i was rooting for end of world thing.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 18:37 crypto

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:22:
nin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:10:
So why am I finding myself to be so skeptical about the Superman movie? I loved Watchmen and the The Dark Knight trilogy...

But did you like Stupid Punch and 300?

I agree though: Hopefully with the Nolans involved, it'll be better.

And I would have liked 300 a lot more if it hadn't been shot like a music video. And while I think we're in the minority, I enjoyed Watchmen, too. I think, given the source material, it was about the best it could be done. (That's not a glowing endorsement, but I can't see it being done better.)

Snyder is much better as a director when working with other's material. Sucker Punch is by far his worst movie, and the idea and screenplay were his. He did help write the 300 screenplay, but of course it's based on Miller's work. With Dark Knight scribe Goyer and with Nolan on as producer, I have high hopes for Man of Steel. The trailer showed just enough footage to have me asking questions about what's going on without really giving any of the story away, so ideal as far as trailers go.

Watchmen is probably my favorite hero movie. I love the stakes, the mystery, the philosophy, the distinct characters, the history it created, the fact that it's 'R'. It felt real, despite its fantastic propositions. I had never read the novel, so knew nothing going in, and was subsequently blown away.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 18:02 Mr. Tact

Fathering children at 59... I'm not sure if I should be impressed or appalled.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 17:34 Fantaz

R.I.P. Ravi Shankar

Bodolza wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 15:52:
This is the best thing he produced, IMHO.

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/514643h

His daughter is hot...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 16:22 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:10:
So why am I finding myself to be so skeptical about the Superman movie? I loved Watchmen and the The Dark Knight trilogy...

And I would have liked 300 a lot more if it hadn't been shot like a music video. And while I think we're in the minority, I enjoyed Watchmen, too. I think, given the source material, it was about the best it could be done. (That's not a glowing endorsement, but I can't see it being done better.)

Snyder is much better as a director when working with other's material. Sucker Punch is by far his worst movie, and the idea and screenplay were his. He did help write the 300 screenplay, but of course it's based on Miller's work. With Dark Knight scribe Goyer and with Nolan on as producer, I have high hopes for Man of Steel. The trailer showed just enough footage to have me asking questions about what's going on without really giving any of the story away, so ideal as far as trailers go.

Watchmen is probably my favorite hero movie. I love the stakes, the mystery, the philosophy, the distinct characters, the history it created, the fact that it's 'R'. It felt real, despite its fantastic propositions. I had never read the novel, so knew nothing going in, and was subsequently blown away.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 15:52 Bodolza

This is the best thing he produced, IMHO.

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/514643h

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 15:40 Yosemite Sam

RIP Ravi, my library wouldnt be complete without your soothing sitar.  

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 15:33 Ahumado

RIP Ravi
The guy could play. If you ever get the chance watch him in Concert for Bangladesh..pretty intense. Oh and don't forget Billy Preston.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 12:47 eRe4s3r

If you got a host file based block function there is no way to unblock  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 12:46 Agent.X7

Jivaro wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:54:
I am a comic book/superhero movie fanboy. It is just how I am wired. I even liked Daredevil and the Punisher movies.

So why am I finding myself to be so skeptical about the Superman movie? I loved Watchmen and the The Dark Knight trilogy...so it isn't the powers that be. The actors seem to be well cast.

The trailer just leaves me with feelings of inexplicable doom however. Hopefully it isn't as bad as my gut seems to be saying. Particularly since they have made the decision to make a Justice League movie next rather then first making more movies about the members.

I can't watch a Superman movie without John Williams.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 12:21 Red

What about Feb 2 and 22 in 2022? 2/2/22 and 2/22/22. I am hoping to see those. And maybe 3/3/33, 4/4/44, etc.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 12:10 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 11:54 Jivaro

I am a comic book/superhero movie fanboy. It is just how I am wired. I even liked Daredevil and the Punisher movies.

So why am I finding myself to be so skeptical about the Superman movie? I loved Watchmen and the The Dark Knight trilogy...so it isn't the powers that be. The actors seem to be well cast.

The trailer just leaves me with feelings of inexplicable doom however. Hopefully it isn't as bad as my gut seems to be saying. Particularly since they have made the decision to make a Justice League movie next rather then first making more movies about the members.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 fiftykyu

Sorry for the unrelated question, but:

Turned off adblock for bluesnews.com but I'm still not seeing any ads. Is there some other option that needs fiddling? Thanks!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 Verno

PHJF wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:08:
Don't say that, I've only watched the first two episodes! Why do you crush my dreams???

My dark heart simmers with mirth

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo