Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Trailer

A new trailer shows off more of SimCity, the upcoming urban planning reboot, introducing how multi-city play will be handled. Here's an explanation:

With Multicity play, you no longer need to provide all the required city infrastructures in one city. Build a police station and share your growing police force with the greater region. Have your friend build a fire station in a neighboring city and soon you’ll see their fire trucks putting out flames in your city. Just like the world around you, neighboring cities support each other through shared resources. These are just a few examples of the Multicity play that you’ll see today in Stone’s gameplay strategy video.

Built from the ground up to be a fully connected experience, Multicity play in SimCity gives you the option to choose how you play. When you login and pick a region, you can decide to claim all the cities for yourself, invite your friends into your region to play alongside you, invite anyone in and make new friends, or join someone else’s region.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 16:18 eRe4s3r

So yeah.. the problem is.. now there are 500 exe installers that I can't automate, most of which pop up a website readme and an "compatibily problem detected" error message.. holy hell. This is exactly what I meant with insane hassle

But I guess I only have to do it once.. I will fiddle out all the mods once, and then upload a torrent just with the mods files, ready unpacked and tested to work together. Not sure it'll be on TPB though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 eRe4s3r

Ah no wonder I never found anything, I always checked for "compilation" and "mod pack" lol.

I am actually a bit surprised nobody got pissed of enough about the 2 Sim City 4 mod communities to make a compilation torrent of all the mods.. ok, the 2 sites make that a huge insane hassle.. but you'd figure someone would do it, right? This is pretty good though

29. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 01:10 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 01:09:
The torrent seems to be active - it's named:

SIM CITY 4 DELUXE EDITION COLLECTION (by [thethingy])

I can't link to it because unfortunately I forgot that the seeder included the cracked version of the game in it. If you download it please own the legal version.

That's odd. When did steam start mirroring torrents?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 01:09 Prez

The torrent seems to be active - it's named:

SIM CITY 4 DELUXE EDITION COLLECTION (by [thethingy])

I have scanned the contents with multiple malware and virus programs and it seems okay. I can't link to it because unfortunately I forgot that the seeder included the cracked version of the game in it. If you download it please own the legal version.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 21:50 eRe4s3r

It's mostly just more stuff to build, and more stuff that gets build in zones. New roads, new traffic and deco elements, new environments etc...

NAM optimizes the traffic calculations though.. I never had the game "really slow down" it just had an annoying as heck slow loading but even that goes nearly away on an SSD.

26. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 19:52 PHJF

What kind of SC4 mods are there? I played a ton of it unmodded. Game to this day runs like dirt in dense cities.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 19:46 eRe4s3r

Hey why not  

24. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 19:09 Prez

Quboid wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:35:
Ain't that the truth eRe4s3r! There's loads of interesting mods for SC4 (and for MSFSX, since you mention it) but installing anything more than that good transport mod (Network Addon Mod, IIRC) was such hassle and the communities seemed to be more interested in prestige and power-trips than the actual game. Shame. If there was a easily downloadable pack of a few hundred of the best new buildings, roads, etc, I'd give SC4 another go.

Somewhere along the line I torrented a huge .rar file that someone compiled about 2 gigs worth of Simcity 4 mods, tools and utilities I to. I can try to see if the torrent still has Seeders and let you guys know if you want. Worse come to worse, I could upload and seed the file myself, though I've never done it before.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 12:10 eRe4s3r

Yeah I can't bother with more than the NAM either. But that's not really a "mod" as much as it is an expansion to the gameplay.

I am sure there a thousands of good mods hidden in that mess somewhere but I just can't do it anymore. What is fun (imo) for Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, hunting down 100 mods or so thanks to the nexus making downloading and finding stuff VERY simple nowadays and then sorting and combining with BOSS, Moby etc... is a total nightmare for Sim City 4. I mean just LOOK at any of the 2 big mod communities. You have lovely things like the "Essential" downloads but most new buildings (particularly the ones that can grow and have several stages) need dozens of dependencies for props (which then again, need dozens of dependencies) that are not in the essential packs (one may ask wtf they are good for then, I have no idea). And because modders have no "common resource" mostly everyone does his own thing anyway.

Makes me kinda sad, because yeah.. SC4 is awesome. And there are so many good mods. But if you got 400 new "buildings" with growth, and 1 has a brown box at some point you are LOST. There is no integrity check AT ALL.

Also just for the record, steam workshop sucks. I don't want automatically updating mods, EVER.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 13:12.

22. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 11:48 Quboid

I like simplification, that's a good thing IMHO, but dumbing-down isn't. Those should be very different things, although they tend not to be.

Are the cities that small? I heard they were the size of SC4's medium cities, which was the largest my system could handle. I'd rather have a detailed simulation (which I think it looks to be, relative to previous Simcities) than a large city with unrealistic traffic movement which forces you to make unrealistic cities. In SC4, for example, commerce depended largely on traffic passing by between houses and industry, which meant you couldn't really do commercial centres because little traffic would go there.

This is a video made to show the multi-city play so I'm not worrying much about some of the questionable details. The fire coverage, for example, may have been exaggerated to make the video simpler - they shouldn't appear so quick, to encourage you to have at least some coverage of your own, but that might be hacked for this demonstration. He mentions adding a helicopter to his cop shop to cover other cities; if extending fire coverage is a similar system I think that's reasonable - if the other city invests enough in their fire coverage, why not have them come over (eventually!)?

Do skyscrapers pop up easily? They appear to in this video but Stone (who calls their son Stone? I can't decide if that's awful or awesome!) mentions that this was an existing city so maybe the work went into that.

If you have to be online even if you're the only player in a region, that sucks. A lot. That's what might make me regret pre-ordering.

- Quboid

21. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 11:35 Quboid

Ain't that the truth eRe4s3r! There's loads of interesting mods for SC4 (and for MSFSX, since you mention it) but installing anything more than that good transport mod (Network Addon Mod, IIRC) was such hassle and the communities seemed to be more interested in prestige and power-trips than the actual game. Shame. If there was a easily downloadable pack of a few hundred of the best new buildings, roads, etc, I'd give SC4 another go.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 11:49.

- Quboid

20. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 11:27 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 11:15:
Mod communities can be totally obnoxious, Minecraft with that adf.ly shit for example. Mojang should have done what Bethesda did and said all content created for our game is ours, you can't profit commercially from it but they didn't and now its a complete clusterfuck.

Oh yeah.. that reminds me I am surprised developers let monetization of mods fly at all. There are also so many modders now who get downright fascist with copyright rules. Like "You can only modify this with my express permission?" dafuq?

Did he ask permission to modify the game? This is particularly bad on the KerbalSpaceProgram mods too, everyone thinks their mod is so valuable and unique and they deadlock improvements with copyright bullshit, and what is the result? 900 dead mods that are not maintained and that can't be easily modified.. if someone wanted the same mod, he'd have to create it FROM SCRATCH.

Sigh... My mods and graphic contributions are always "free to abuse by all" I like to think I am not the only one doing that.

Also mentioning KSP.. they also have a rule that all plugins need to be open source. That is imo great .. but for normal mods they don't seem to care ,/

19. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 11:16 Creston

- Tiny ass cities.
- Always on DRM.
- Forced MP.
- No ability to actually just make a city, trash it up with some disasters, then reload your savegame.

This isn't Sim City. This is Sim Hey EA Ruined Another Franchise Woot!

Creston

18. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 Verno

Mod communities can be totally obnoxious, Minecraft with that adf.ly shit for example. Mojang should have done what Bethesda did and said all content created for our game is ours, you can't profit commercially from it but they didn't and now its a complete clusterfuck.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

17. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 10:58 eRe4s3r

The only problem with Simcity 4 and mods is the 2 ANAL mod communities centered around it.

Want to make a pack? Not for YOU you VILE pirate! We elitist modders don't make packs, or automated installers, or automated downloaders, we have you download every single freaking dependency manually... and best of all, sometimes the fucking dependencies have dependencies and THOSE have dependencies. Wow..

I know I am not really.. you know, needing mods. It's optional and all.. but there is this weird draw to mods for me and I have to test them all... well I failed for SC4. It was the worst mod community on this planet (Well, actually there is one that is worse, that's the one for Flight simulators from MS).

Seriously, if someone has a link to a (up-to-date) fully modded SC4 torrent give it. I am done with trying to get mods for SC4 "legitimately"

And to be clear I want a torrent with the mods in a way I can just copy over and play ;p I don't want a SC4 torrent.. I have the original ;p

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 11:07.

16. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 09:37 Optional nickname

The UI looks like it belongs on an Apple Ipad logged in to Facebook. Epic Turnoff. I will have to wait for legit reviews, prior even thinking about installing this game some time for 75% off.  

15. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 09:03 Shok

Just the fact that it requires Origin means no buy for me.  

14. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 ASeven

One more series ruined by EA and it had to be SimCity. Damn, this game manages to look worse and worse with each reveal. SC4 with mods is still, and more than likely will be, the best SC experience and it's a crying shame that there will be no more SC games to come close to the brilliance of the best games of the series. This new SC sure isn't it.

I just hope that one day someone can make a city-building game that rivals the best SC games since Maxis sure won't do that anymore.

13. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 07:43 Prez

Is this game still shipping with always online singleplayer? Pass.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 07:08 Dades

Really disappointing what they have done with SimCity. The multiplayer is totally unnecessary and should be optional.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo