Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - Diablo 3′s Auction House Economy Has Screwed New Players.
Diablo 3′s Auction House, an evil more nefarious than the series’ titular villain, is the reason anyone trying to get into D3 today will face the unfortunate results of having a game’s economy be the driving force behind its gameplay. Why? Because the game’s item drop rates were balanced around the idea that players will periodically use the AH to upgrade their gear, but the current state of the game makes doing so a near-impossibility for a new player.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 15:24 Draugr

Fletch wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 02:54:
briktal wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:27:
D3 isn't "balanced around the AH", it just plain has too many bad items and too few good items. It's just plain bad itemization. If the game were balanced around the AH, you'd get good items, but they'd be for other classes, encouraging you to sell them and buy the good items for your class other people found. Instead you just find crap.

Blizzard takes 15% of AH sales, right? Then why would they increase drops of good items for other classes, knowing the player would just list said useless items in the AH? The AH would be deluged with those now more commonly-dropped, other-class good items and drive prices down -> Blizzard's makes less money. They limit drops of good items so they are rare and more expensive in the AH -> Blizzard makes more money.

Fuck you, Blizzard.

Yeah, it's 30% if you want to see any actual money. Otherwise Blizzard's cut is 15% and then the rest of the money sits in your blizzard/monopoly money account. which basically costs blizzard nothing to give you their own stuff, especially if its a digital item.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:52 Verno

AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:36:
Ya, I wasn't arguing about that, I was commenting on "one legendary in a week for 3 people." Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

That's all we found outside of yellows. Many many yellows. No sets or legendaries. This was MP0 (parts of Act 1 and Act 3) and I don't know my MF off by heart so I'll look when I get home.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

22. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:36 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:32:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:20:
I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

I get a lot of drops, it's just that 99.9% are shit to the point where you tune out drops themselves. I don't care about finding one selling for hundreds of millions, I'm trying to obtain gear for my character to use which should not be a rare thing to find. They didn't strike a good balance between gear quality and drop rate.

Ya, I wasn't arguing about that, I was commenting on "one legendary in a week for 3 people." Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

21. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:32 Verno

AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:20:
I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

I get a lot of drops, it's just that 99.9% are shit to the point where you tune out drops themselves. I don't care about finding one selling for hundreds of millions, I'm trying to obtain gear for my character to use which should not be a rare thing to find. They didn't strike a good balance between gear quality and drop rate.

20. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:20 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:27:
I've been revisiting Diablo 3 over the past few weeks, they did a lot to fix up the games issues in terms of balance and design but forgot about loot *again*.

Yellow is the new blue. You find so many yellows that you stop identifying them until you get back into town. Same problems as launch, useful drops are so rare that you end up on the AH to get stuff. I played pretty hardcore for a few weeks with 3 buddies, between the lot of us we had one shitty legendary with horrible stats roll and a bunch of marginal yellow upgrades.

How they continue to fuck this up is beyond me. Make the game like Torchlight 2, I was drowning in awesome loot and the choices were often difficult. Rather than vendoring shit I actually filled up my stash, finding many items that would be useful for different classes and builds. Compelling choices, not waiting a year to find a diamond in a mountain of horseshit.

Monster Power kinda sucks BTW, the increase in drop percentages and loot quality often isn't worth the increasing run times. The games loot system revolves around their revenue stream more than it does gameplay enjoyment.

Anyways still really flawed and frustrating. It sucks because the gameplay and balance is hugely improved but the loot system is just inherently fucked. Enjoy finding the only legendary you might all week and having it be some shitty Wizard item with a strength roll.

19. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 Verno

Alamar wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:57:
So admittedly, I didn't play TL2 nearly as much as D3, as it wasn't nearly as fun/interesting/varied, but I found the loot systems to be the same, and your complaints of D3 are valid for (my experience in) TL2...

I don't know, play TL2 for 30 hours and you should have a stash full of awesome items for a variety of characters. It's not even a luck drop thing, you get plenty as parts of the quests and drops are just gravy. You can also combine, gamble, etc. There are countless ways to get loads of good uniques and sets in TL2, it is heads and tails above D3 when it comes to the loot systems and their accessibility to the player.

My biggest problem with TL2 is that they got randomization and loot right but they didn't have the manpower to do proper production values to accompany it. Still played the holy hell out of it though and enjoyed every minute.

Anyways I give up on Diablo 3, I figured I would let it cool off after launch and while they fixed a lot of problems, I don't have any motivation to keep playing due to the loot system.

18. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 avianflu

TL for 20bucks, with multiplayer, with loot, and no AH.  

17. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 Alamar

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:27:
I've been revisiting Diablo 3 over the past few weeks, they did a lot to fix up the games issues in terms of balance and design but forgot about loot *again*.

Yellow is the new blue. You find so many yellows that you stop identifying them until you get back into town. Same problems as launch, useful drops are so rare that you end up on the AH to get stuff. I played pretty hardcore for a few weeks with 3 buddies, between the lot of us we had one shitty legendary with horrible stats roll and a bunch of marginal yellow upgrades.

How they continue to fuck this up is beyond me. Make the game like Torchlight 2, I was drowning in awesome loot and the choices were often difficult. Rather than vendoring shit I actually filled up my stash, finding many items that would be useful for different classes and builds. Compelling choices, not waiting a year to find a diamond in a mountain of horseshit.

Monster Power kinda sucks BTW, the increase in drop percentages and loot quality often isn't worth the increasing run times. The games loot system revolves around their revenue stream more than it does gameplay enjoyment.

Anyways still really flawed and frustrating. It sucks because the gameplay and balance is hugely improved but the loot system is just inherently fucked. Enjoy finding the only legendary you might all week and having it be some shitty Wizard item with a strength roll.

So admittedly, I didn't play TL2 nearly as much as D3, as it wasn't nearly as fun/interesting/varied, but I found the loot systems to be the same, and your complaints of D3 are valid for (my experience in) TL2... Too much crappy loot... And this isn't limited to either/both games, as I found 'loot hell' to be a pain in Titan Quest, and other games... Maybe I've changed as I've grown up, but I find these games often a hassle with how much colored shit is always dropping that goes in the trash...

Monster Power is awesome, but no, it's not worth it cranking it if it slows your game too much... That's not what it's for.. It's for the richer to get richer, faster... And offer a challenge to people with insane gear... I only run on MP2 or so, though I tried 4-5 or so when it was introduced, and holy crap that's a little sadistic (at my gear level).

-Alamar

16. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 Alamar

I still enjoy the game... I don't play obsessively, and with 3 or 4 60s, with various Inferno experience, I rarely have over a million gold... Though, if I had one 60, and could play the same thing over n over, I might have a lot more...

I also very rarely used the AH pre-Inferno, and even now, other than having fun sniping low legendary bids (~10-200k), I wasn't using it much...

Which sounds like a lot, and can be, but I always find it interesting seeing all the threads (on Diablofans.com) where someone is like, 'I don't know what to do to run MP(insert 5+), my budget is 250 mil'... That's an absurd amount of gold, to me, but it's a drop in the hat/bucket for some people that still play a LOT...

Anyhow... My first sentence is all that matters ; )

-Alamar

15. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 09:27 Verno

14. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 09:14 loomy

diablo 3 is broken/unbalanced/bad from top to bottom.

I mean class design. class resources. attributes. skills. the whole shebang is not very good!

the reason pvp was never coming is because you can't have pvp in such a fundamentally broken game. everything is unbalanced. the unbalanced things are unbalanced!

it took diablo 2 5+ years to become as awesome as it is, and they had decent people working on it.

13. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 07:03 panbient

I'm curious. Has Blizzard ever released usage stats kind of like the Community Activity Graph on the Steam front page? I'm not seeing anything official from a quick google search. Has the downward curve flattened out yet? Do the execs look at it upside down and think they've hit a plateau instead?  

12. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 06:21 Bhruic

D3 isn't "balanced around the AH", it just plain has too many bad items and too few good items. It's just plain bad itemization. If the game were balanced around the AH, you'd get good items, but they'd be for other classes, encouraging you to sell them and buy the good items for your class other people found. Instead you just find crap.

That's actually what makes it balanced around the AH. If there were plenty of good items, just not for your class, the items actually on the AH would be selling for next to nothing because they'd be so common. In order to sell well, they need to be somewhat scarce. If you've got a million people playing, that makes drops - well, not a million times more likely, since people will be at different levels, etc but - substantially higher than for any individual game.

11. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 04:28 InBlack

Which is why D3 is 'somewhat' fun on Hardcore. It still leaves a lot to be desired but at least the periodic death of characters leaves a nice item sink and even medium items have 'some' value.

THis is not the reason why Diablo sucks. Diablo sucks beacause IT IS A BADLY DESIGNED GAME IN MYRADS OF OTHER ASPECTS.

It took me a while to figure out, blind fanboy dumbass that I was but this game is way beyond broken and is a nail in the coffin of ARPGs...

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 03:34 Dev

Actually its 30% on some sales  

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 02:54 Fletch

Blizzard takes 15% of AH sales, right? Then why would they increase drops of good items for other classes, knowing the player would just list said useless items in the AH? The AH would be deluged with those now more commonly-dropped, other-class good items and drive prices down -> Blizzard's makes less money. They limit drops of good items so they are rare and more expensive in the AH -> Blizzard makes more money.

Fuck you, Blizzard.

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 02:09 JeffD

Welcome to 6 months ago GameFront!

I think everything is fine. You will find good gear on the regular AH for when you are leveling. The bulk of the real money AH is;

a) Very high end gear drops you want past max level

and b) gear with stats deemed essential for farming build after max level.

Neither of these are new nore do they effect new players. Question is do new players realize what they are getting into is a made for the player grind fest action rpg with the worlds shortest single player storyline? -_-

I'm just glad I didn't pay money for it.

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 00:27 briktal

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2012, 23:27 eRe4s3r

notice i said "useful stuff with the right stat combo"

Which usually excludes Legendary Items or Set Items below ilvl60 by definition Unless you are like.. crazy lucky.

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 11, 2012, 22:52 nin

It's great that you took a break for like 11 days there deqer - when's your next one?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo