Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored

Steam News announces the release of the Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials DLC for Dishonored, Arkane's stealthy assassination game:

Enter the world of the Outsider in Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials, the first add-on pack for the critically-acclaimed first-person action game by Arkane Studios. Your combat, stealth and mobility skills will be put to the test as you make your way through 10 distinct maps that feature a variety of challenges. Creatively combine your supernatural abilities, weapons and gadgets to eliminate as many targets as possible, fight off waves of tallboys, guards, weepers and thugs, or take out targets in a non-stop run of drop assassinations. Dunwall City Trials also features a new set of achievements and trophies as well as a global online leaderboard.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 01:34:
See I disagree with you, according to the description Windblast level 1 won't kill anyone, but level 2 will.
What I don't know (and would like answered) is Possessing someone and then I make that npc kill someone considered lethal, and what about Swarm (rats right?).

Both count against you as kills, yeah.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 12, 2012, 02:09 nin

What I don't know (and would like answered) is Possessing someone and then I make that npc kill someone considered lethal, and what about Swarm (rats right?).

I'm assuming swarm would count against you. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Possession -> Killing I'm also assuming would count against you, but I'd test it.

There's some hints here but they don't cover the two examples you listed.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 12, 2012, 01:34 The Half Elf

See I disagree with you, according to the description Windblast level 1 won't kill anyone, but level 2 will.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 23:41 Jerykk

That would have helped, but it still wouldn't have addressed the underlying problem that playing "good" means you only get to use like 2 or 3 items and another 2 or 3 spells out of 15 items and weapons and a dozen spells. It sucks the creativity and sandbox nature out of the game entirely.

Firstly, there aren't "dozens" of spells. There are 6 powers, four of which are very useful for stealthy and non-lethal playstyles:
- Dark Vision
- Possession
- Bend Time
- Blink

Only two powers are specifically designed for lethal play (Devouring Swarm and Windblast).

Then you have the 4 abilities, only two of which are specifically designed for killing.

Then you have the bone charms, most of which are designed to be equally useful to both non-lethal and lethal players. Some of the charms are only good for lethal players, others are only good for non-lethal (like the charm that makes choke-outs significantly faster).

There are five weapons (dagger, pistol, crossbow, grenade and razorwire) and one of those can be used in a non-lethal fashion (crossbow). But as Creston mentioned, weapons are weapons and the vast majority of weapons in any game (or reality) are lethal.

So, mechanically, the game is pretty well balanced between lethal and non-lethal playstyles. Really, the only reason you feel restricted is because you want to kill people but you don't want to get the pessimistic ending for doing so.

16. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 23:21 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 17:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:49:
snuggle truck is not that bad what are you guys talking about

I has to be awesome, Prez played it for like 99 hours! :p

Creston

99.9 hours in the last 2 weeks! But then again he has just over 300 hours in Global Agenda... tsk tsk Prez

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 17:17 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:49:

I has to be awesome, Prez played it for like 99 hours! :p

Creston

14. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 17:17 Creston

Flatline wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 16:53:
Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:27:
I wish that the good ending/bad ending wasn't arbitrarily relayed to you by virtue of a loading screen, but rather explained to you the next time you go back to the city, and suddenly there are more rats, more weepers, etc. Then an NPC tells you that there's been a spate of murders recently, leading to a rat explosion, and that at this rate, there's no saving the city no matter what.

That would have made it far, far more awesome than the "if you kill people, it will lead to a darker ending!" blurb on the loading screen.

That said, fuck the dark ending. I'm murdering everybody. Oh, so you all thought that I betrayed the Empress, did you? Fine. Let me show you how such a person would really act.

His name shall be Lord Corvo Stabbity-Stab!

Creston

That would have helped, but it still wouldn't have addressed the underlying problem that playing "good" means you only get to use like 2 or 3 items and another 2 or 3 spells out of 15 items and weapons and a dozen spells. It sucks the creativity and sandbox nature out of the game entirely.

You should never, ever, EVER punish a player for playing the game the way you designed/intended. I frankly question the dev team's collective mind for thinking that discouraging a player from playing the game the way you designed and advertised it was a *good* idea.

But why do you feel you are being "punished?" Because you get a "bad" ending? An ending that logically flows out of your actions? Would it have been more logical to have Corvo murder half the city, and voila presto the rat plague is over with no consequences to his actions? (I'm guessing btw, as I haven't finished the game yet.) I love a good ending (and consequently am pissed off about a bad ending) as much as the next guy, but I don't let "on noes I might get a bad ending!" dictate the way I play. If I want to play a murdering psycho I'll play that way. And I'll also play a Ghost playthrough, because that seems pretty difficult and fun to achieve in this game. I think it's cool that both ways of playing through have different endings. I wouldn't want a cookies and ponies ending if I just spent 20 hours murdering everything that walked.

And I haven't fiddled around with the powers enough to really comfortably say this, but I can't offhand think of that many powers that are lethal-play only. Adrenaline comes to mind (which, btw, is a giant piece of shit, as I've yet to trigger it a single fucking time. Waste of 2 runes that), and then the mega-awesome "evaporate bodies" power. And I guess the rats power, probably, since it's dicey to unleash that without wanting to kill anyone.

Most other powers seem well suited for stealth as well.

I do agree that the weapons are skewed towards killing, but then again, they are weapons. That's kind of what they're made for.

Creston

13. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 16:53 Flatline

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:27:
I wish that the good ending/bad ending wasn't arbitrarily relayed to you by virtue of a loading screen, but rather explained to you the next time you go back to the city, and suddenly there are more rats, more weepers, etc. Then an NPC tells you that there's been a spate of murders recently, leading to a rat explosion, and that at this rate, there's no saving the city no matter what.

That would have made it far, far more awesome than the "if you kill people, it will lead to a darker ending!" blurb on the loading screen.

That said, fuck the dark ending. I'm murdering everybody. Oh, so you all thought that I betrayed the Empress, did you? Fine. Let me show you how such a person would really act.

Creston

You should never, ever, EVER punish a player for playing the game the way you designed/intended. I frankly question the dev team's collective mind for thinking that discouraging a player from playing the game the way you designed and advertised it was a *good* idea.

12. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 16:43 Kosumo

Snuggle Truck sucks and is bad and it can fuck you up ......

..... Now, Cuddle Train is where it's at, total innocent and loving.

Cuddle Train for 2016!

toot toot!

11. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 15:49 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 15:28 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:22:

(I already own snuggle truck, so no, it can't be gifted! )

Shit!

Creston

9. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 15:27 Creston

Flatline wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:56:
nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 11:15:
Well, #1, I'm trying to wade through everything else I have. (Steam shows me having like 82 games I've flagged as "new" which is a section I keep for purchased but unplayed games.)

And 2, I'm not overly wild about time trial stuff.

I'll snag it eventually, but right now I'd like to get through the rest of the fall rush I've not played yet.

Time Trials are fail, but the idea of getting to run around, even on a first playthrough, and not be forced into some BS moral binary decision format is a win. The biggest failure of Dishonored was that the game actually tells you that there's a good and bad ending depending on how lethal you are, sets up non-lethal takedowns for your opponents (some of which, like the branding, are pretty cool/appropriate I'll grant), and then gives you like 2 non-lethal takedown options: Darts and knockouts.

Imagine if Half-Life had "punished" you with a "bad" ending if you used anything other than your crowbar.

Creston

8. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 15:22 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 14:58:
Well, #1, I'm trying to wade through everything else I have. (Steam shows me having like 82 games I've flagged as "new" which is a section I keep for purchased but unplayed games.)

I'll snag it eventually, but right now I'd like to get through the rest of the fall rush I've not played yet.

Awwww your like a little Prez in the making, we shall name you Prez Jr™

ah-hahahahahahaha!

(I already own snuggle truck, so no, it can't be gifted! )

7. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 14:58 The Half Elf

Awwww your like a little Prez in the making, we shall name you Prez Jr™

6. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 13:56 Flatline

Time Trials are fail, but the idea of getting to run around, even on a first playthrough, and not be forced into some BS moral binary decision format is a win. The biggest failure of Dishonored was that the game actually tells you that there's a good and bad ending depending on how lethal you are, sets up non-lethal takedowns for your opponents (some of which, like the branding, are pretty cool/appropriate I'll grant), and then gives you like 2 non-lethal takedown options: Darts and knockouts.

Imagine if Half-Life had "punished" you with a "bad" ending if you used anything other than your crowbar.

5. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 11:43 SpectralMeat

I am not too keen on the time trial stuff either but the rest of the challenges look pretty cool.
I totally understand the "too many not played games" complaint though trust me.

Steam Christmas sale supposed to start up on the 20th so we will see, I will buy this DLC for sure.

4. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 11:15 nin

3. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 11:12 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:14:
$3.75 from gmg with GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6...

I think I'll wait on the xmas sale, however...

To save another 10 cents ?
C'mon nin I know you are cheap but we are talking about less then $4 here

As for the main game not this DLC, to replay any of the previous levels I'd have to restart the game? I have created some separate save games other then the autosaves so I should be okay to replay any of the levels right?
I love how I am finding new ways to complete a mission just by trying out different things, I try to sneak around and not kill anyone on most missions but shit can hit the fan super fast.

2. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 Verno

I'm gonna get it, I actually like the idea of some closed, one off levels where I get to test out the full arsenal. Also keep in mind it's not all time trials or something  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

1. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 nin

$3.75 from gmg with GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6...

I think I'll wait on the xmas sale, however...

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo