Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Metro 2033 on Steam

THQ Demo's Facebook Page is offering free Steam keys for Metro 2033 for all who throw a "like" their way. According to Polygon, these free copies of the post-apocalyptic shooter are being provided "while supplies last."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 15:34 JayDeath

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 14:32:
JayDeath wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 14:12:
It's a good game that was never properly optimized. I have a good gaming rig and I could not get this game to run smoothly, no matter what I tried. I got a few levels in and had to stop because of the constant stuttering. The game looks really pretty but plays like crap. This is why it's free. You were warned.

Metro 2033 still stands as one of the best-looking PC games ever made, the first since Crysis to have cojones enough to make puny rigs like yours roll over and die. :p Great game, too, very much in the vein of Half-Life.

I still play Crysis and get a solid 40+ fps with everything turned up so no, my rig runs fine. Do some research. I know I'm not the only one with stuttering issues with Metro 2033.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

Everyone should be playing WWII Online.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 15:08 Beamer

Dev wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 14:55:
There's no mystery why they are doing this.

The FB page even tells you. Its to get buzz going about the next metro game, metro last light. They figure if people get into playing the previous one, they will pre-order last light. And they are desperate for cash right now.

And from that standpoint it's kind of brilliant. Not the preorder, but to get people aware of what these games are.

Hope it works. Maybe, just maybe, we'll start seeing publishers let old games that aren't selling more than a handful of copies per year go free, or at least super cheap, in an effort to drum up interest in a brand.

Any game that's more than, say, 4 or 5 years old, should never sell for more than $5 digital. $9.99, maybe, with constant $4.99 sales. Let people impulse buy them and fall in love.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:55 Dev

There's no mystery why they are doing this.

The FB page even tells you. Its to get buzz going about the next metro game, metro last light. They figure if people get into playing the previous one, they will pre-order last light. And they are desperate for cash right now.

31. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:49 El Pit

I really like this game. Was a steal at $5 at a Steam sale. It's a bit rough around the edges, but has a great atmosphere and makes you plan your movement/advance cautiously. Don't expect a fun but dumb on rails shooter like Painkiller or Serious Sam!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

30. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:42 netnerd85

It's a good game that was never properly optimized. I have a good gaming rig and I could not get this game to run smoothly, no matter what I tried. I got a few levels in and had to stop because of the constant stuttering. The game looks really pretty but plays like crap. This is why it's free. You were warned.
Runs perfectly for me. No issues what so ever.

29. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:32 jacobvandy

Or, you configured it improperly. Unlike your usual console port, this game was one of the first to fully support DX11 and actually used up as much VRAM as you'd allow it to, so if your GPU didn't have enough, it would chug along somethin' awful. Maybe you should look into that GeForce Experience Manager or whatever?

I personally did a boatload of benchmarks with Metro when the GTX 460 came out, comparing the 768MB to the 1GB. Oddly enough, there was some kind of memory usage threshold in between those two amounts, where the same settings would be unplayable on the one but smooth as silk on the other. Turning off one of the more resource-intensive options was the solution for the former.

Metro 2033 still stands as one of the best-looking PC games ever made, the first since Crysis to have cojones enough to make puny rigs like yours roll over and die. :p Great game, too, very much in the vein of Half-Life.

P.S. Looks like the Facebook link is dead, so no more keys.

28. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:15 Beamer

I never got into it. The FOV was wrong (which may be fixable, can't remember), but the gameplay wasn't right. Weapons felt terrible to me, and I spent too much time desperate for ammo. I get that ammo conservation and limitations was a gameplay mechanic, but I hate it when games do that.

But, when you get down to it, it was the terrible feeling guns that killed it for me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:14 Yosemite Sam

Just started into 2033 a few days ago. Dont run out of air cartridges or your fucked (pretty major game breaking bug) Other then that its a pretty decent horror survival game so far.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 14:12 JayDeath

Steam: Henry Krinkle

Everyone should be playing WWII Online.

25. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 13:44 fiftykyu

Interesting. I did enjoy at least 2/3 of the Stalker games (don't remember finishing Clear Sky, so perhaps I didn't like that one?) so anything similar would be worth a look. Oh, and before I forget, get out of here, Stalker.

The bonus "beat the average" games in the current Humble THQ Bundle all appear to have popular "extra stuff" for sale in the steam store, i.e. DLC or addon/expansion/whatever. So if for example I like Titan Quest, maybe I'll want the expansion and give THQ another $20.

24. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 13:28 Prez

Well, I got the free key so if one of you paranoid people who refuses to even sign up for FB wants it message me on Steam ('Prez' with the same avatar as up in the right corner) and it's yours.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 13:14 Prez

Great game. There were parts of STALKER that took place indoors that were downright creepy and dripping with tension and atmosphere. Someone decided that a creepy, atmospheric, linear story-based shooter based entirely on that concept would be great. They were right.

If I had to guess what THQ is doing with their recent humble bundle and now this I would say that they are trying to generate lots of positive buzz and attention through goodwill and great games thereby raising their own value in the eyes of their investors, as well as having a larger built-in audience for the next game they release, if they ever can that is. I think it is simply a strategy for survival.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 13:01 jdreyer

I'm really trying to understand what THQ is doing here. Between the humble bundle and this, they're completely devaluing their catalog. It's almost as if they're trying to make themselves so valueless that no one will buy them? Next thing you know they'll make relinquish copyright and trademarks and put their games in the commons.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:31 fiftykyu

wtf_man wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:23:
InBlack wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:11:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:09:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 09:38:
Too bad I don't have a Facebook account. (Nor would I ever make one)

You wouldn't even make a fake one for a free game?

People are weird.

Wouldnt it be simpler to just download it from the evil pirates though?

I'm guessing that the e-mail address would have to match... so I'm not willing to give Facebook my e-mail addy.

Here's an idea:

1. make fake email address.
2. make fake face thing.
3. get free metro 2033 key.

Vaguely recall getting the game from a steam publisher bundle thing, i.e all THQ games for $50 or so. Think it was too hard on my computer at the time so put it aside for future upgrades ... and promptly forgot about it.

20. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:18 nin

Fantaz wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 11:17:
Well it's kind of a slap in the face for those of us (like me) who recent bought it...

Can't tell if serious...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:17 Fantaz

Well it's kind of a slap in the face for those of us (like me) who recent bought it...

pacbowl wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 11:13:
User 573413_metro3ad already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

heh

I'm getting that too.

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 11:18:
Can't tell if serious...

Oh yeh...

18. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:17 Rhino

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:53:
Baristan wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:36:

People are weird.

Facebook now requires you to verify with an unique cellphone number. They will never get mine.

Is that for new accounts? It's never asked me for one...

The only time that it has ever asked me one is when logging on for the first time in a new browser, or one for which the history, cookies et al have been completely cleared out. Even then, it wasn't asking for one in the "You must put one in" sense, but in the purely optional "we can send you your password this way if ever you run into trouble" sense. Consequently, I have never put one in.

My father, who just created his own for the first time, was also not required to have one.

17. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:16 netnerd85

Good game, play it.  

16. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 11:13 pacbowl

User 573413_metro3ad already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

heh

15. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 10:53 nin

Baristan wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:36:

People are weird.

Facebook now requires you to verify with an unique cellphone number. They will never get mine.

Is that for new accounts? It's never asked me for one...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo