Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Patched

A new version of Natural Selection 2 is now automatically available, announces Steam News. They have the full notes on the update to the action/strategy sequel, which includes new features, optimizations, bug fixes, and improvements to the editor and SDK.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 20:18 PHJF

There is a serious lack of strategic depth, especially for the alien com who is basically on autopilot the whole game (and to the detriment of the gorge who used to be a very fun/awkward class, but is boring as fuck in NS2). They have serious work cut out for them in patching, not the least of which is the (awful, awful, awful) engine. There aren't nearly enough maps and they have little difference from one to the next. Tram/Summit/Docking are pretty much indiscernible from one to the next, refinery is a complete joke, making mineshaft the only mentionable map in existence... and all the maps have balance issues.

Whatever, for all its problems I played the shit out of it for a few weeks. Got my $25 worth. Maybe once their post release cooldown wears off they will get serious about new content and patching.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 19:35 StaticRandomNumber

I played NS1 a lot a few years back, and just started NS2, and yes it is very much the same to a large extend.

I don't care it is hard though to get going - rookie servers are great for new people, especially new to commanding, players are very understanding if the commander that jumps in upfront says 'hey I am new so don't complain', and a lot more people use mic these days, making things a lot smoother and team communication a lot better.

So I don't understand what all the negativity is about.

Sure there are bad matches now and then, when you just wish the commander had followed all your suggestions... but also had amazing games where a good commander ensured a very good game.

It's all about real teamwork, which it is hard to find in other games, and it fails at times, because people go lone wolf, but that is all part of the dynamics that make it great in my opinion.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 18:20 Mordecai Walfish

loomy wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:03:
this game is basically NS1 with better graphics. NS1 is a good niche game and could hold a few hundred people playing at any given time.

NS2 is doomed to the same fate as NS1 because the developers have no foresight. They've made the same broken, niche game again.

side note: if you think you can do a "commander mode" in a game, you probably can't. I know because nobody before you could. this is a holy grail of gaming, and it takes more than copying warcraft into an FPS to do it.

Commander mode could work by having a "training camp" with certifications that would-be commanders get in order to play it in the first place, and then gaining in skill/rank as they successfully command more games. Servers could have a minimum rank/certification flag they could set up, depending on how hardcore they are, and it would greatly eliminate the "noob commander" problem.

It's just something that takes more preparation than they chose to give to this game, which is unfortunate, but in their eyes I'm sure they were just wanting to *finally* get the game shipped.

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 16:48 Kobalt

Wish the developers wouldn't be so stubborn and put the game on sale and get a lot of people to try the game like chivalry. Speaking of which probably not the best time of the year to release this, not all the major titles releasing but even a lot of indie games around the same time as well.  

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 13:03 loomy

this game is basically NS1 with better graphics. NS1 is a good niche game and could hold a few hundred people playing at any given time.

NS2 is doomed to the same fate as NS1 because the developers have no foresight. They've made the same broken, niche game again.

side note: if you think you can do a "commander mode" in a game, you probably can't. I know because nobody before you could. this is a holy grail of gaming, and it takes more than copying warcraft into an FPS to do it.

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 10:38 PHJF

Pretty much.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Patched Dec 11, 2012, 10:10 Armengar

A good game but already the community is dieing off. Too jittery for all but the best systems, lack of decent admins on the servers stopping griefers has consigned this to a "nuclear dawn" good idea but poor in support.

Shame as I loved NS1 and played NS2 a lot.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo