Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GeForce Optimizer

A new GeForce Experience Page is online, providing owners of NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards a way to automatically update their drivers and optimize graphics settings for a selection of games. Here's how the optimization works: "Want to know the best settings to play your games? GeForce Experience will figure it out for you. GeForce Experience connects you to NVIDIA’s cloud datacenter to download optimal game settings tailored to your PC based on your CPU, GPU and monitor. Optimal settings maximize image quality while maintaining great performance so you get the best experience. A built-in interactive screenshot viewer helps you learn more about each setting and their benefits." Thanks Charles.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 15, 2012, 19:13 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 10:46:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 06:41:
I use precision x to overclock my gtx-480 by 133mhz on the core and 172mhz for the memory, and to apply a custom fan curve to keep it below 85 degrees when running full power. I did not realize that it auto-applied overclocks to the card when running the "frame target" at a number higher than what your card is capable of. Interesting, but otherwise useless for me because I like to be in control of the overclock being applied.

Here's a bit on the 'dynamic clocking' of PSX

"Frame Rate Target will essentially try and cap the frame rate to whatever you set it to. The clock speeds on the card will automatically dynamically adjust based on what is needed to maintain that frame rate at any given time. So if the demand is lower, then the card will downclock because that's all that it needs to maintain that FPS, or vice versa.. boost the clocks to maintain that frame rate under a more 3D intensive scene, for example. Useful for saving power and also for older games/applications which don't demand super high frame rates..."

My point I'm trying to make is not that PSX is perfect, but the GFO has a surprising lack of functionality compared to not only other programs available, including nvidia's own control panel options.

They never intended this low-level user offering to have advanced features though, I think you are comparing apples to oranges. They may still interface this with Nvidia control panel's custom program settings in the future as well, because some of the optimizations they advertise for games on their optimizer do point a user there as well, and it would be a relatively simple and harmless tie-in, easy to revert any bad settings/mistakes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 15, 2012, 10:46 Optional Nickname!

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 06:41:
I use precision x to overclock my gtx-480 by 133mhz on the core and 172mhz for the memory, and to apply a custom fan curve to keep it below 85 degrees when running full power. I did not realize that it auto-applied overclocks to the card when running the "frame target" at a number higher than what your card is capable of. Interesting, but otherwise useless for me because I like to be in control of the overclock being applied.

Here's a bit on the 'dynamic clocking' of PSX

"Frame Rate Target will essentially try and cap the frame rate to whatever you set it to. The clock speeds on the card will automatically dynamically adjust based on what is needed to maintain that frame rate at any given time. So if the demand is lower, then the card will downclock because that's all that it needs to maintain that FPS, or vice versa.. boost the clocks to maintain that frame rate under a more 3D intensive scene, for example. Useful for saving power and also for older games/applications which don't demand super high frame rates..."

My point I'm trying to make is not that PSX is perfect, but the GFO has a surprising lack of functionality compared to not only other programs available, including nvidia's own control panel options.

51. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 15, 2012, 06:41 Mordecai Walfish

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 07:31:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 01:08:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 21:18:
FPS target is a frame limiter, I thought. You cant set it to 80 fps and magically optimize the game to run at 80FPS, for example. You will need to change graphics options to do that, which is what the nVidia program is designed to assist users to do.

GeForce Optimizer: "Use these settings (in these few games) that others have found acceptable" and "We will lower your IQ to get higher FPS"

Precision X : "Use whatever settings you like including those found above and we will improve your cards performance to reach your desired FPS if possible." and "In any app"

Precision X has greater functionality than a mere 'performance bucket' reference table. Precision X can improve your cards performance, the GeForce Optimizer ironically can not.

Precision X's only limitation is it's EVGA requirement, RivaTuner is the any-nvidia brand equivalent.

So it's basically like ATI overdrive or any other software that pushes your GPU to its limits. I have always -- always! -- had issues with these things. It makes my computer unstable somehow.

I find all that software that "monitors" your hardware a pile of crap. How many times I've had my GPU crash because it got to hot, only to increase the fanspeed AFTER the fucking crash. It's so tiresome. I've turned my back and walked away from that PC raping bullshit. Never noticed significant performance increases anyway.

50. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 14, 2012, 07:31 Quinn

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 01:08:
FPS target is a frame limiter, I thought. You cant set it to 80 fps and magically optimize the game to run at 80FPS, for example. You will need to change graphics options to do that, which is what the nVidia program is designed to assist users to do.

GeForce Optimizer: "Use these settings (in these few games) that others have found acceptable" and "We will lower your IQ to get higher FPS"

Precision X : "Use whatever settings you like including those found above and we will improve your cards performance to reach your desired FPS if possible." and "In any app"

Precision X has greater functionality than a mere 'performance bucket' reference table. Precision X can improve your cards performance, the GeForce Optimizer ironically can not.

Precision X's only limitation is it's EVGA requirement, RivaTuner is the any-nvidia brand equivalent.

So it's basically like ATI overdrive or any other software that pushes your GPU to its limits. I have always -- always! -- had issues with these things. It makes my computer unstable somehow.

I find all that software that "monitors" your hardware a pile of crap. How many times I've had my GPU crash because it got to hot, only to increase the fanspeed AFTER the fucking crash. It's so tiresome. I've turned my back and walked away from that PC raping bullshit. Never noticed significant performance increases anyway.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

49. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 14, 2012, 01:08 Optional Nickname!

48. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 14:58 Axis

It harkens back to when CRTs ruled the day, pro clanners didn't choose LCDs during the early days due to the hz limitations.  

Yours truly,

Axis

47. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 12:44 Quinn

Be direct all you want. I welcome it, even.

I've never played with a monitor higher than 60hz. I've been in an RTCW / ET clan in my early days and I, quite simply put, cannot imagine WHY I would need a game to run any smoother than how it does on 60 frames a sec.

But I can't really know if I haven't tried and you call me on it, and that's fine. Way more charming than blocking me

Dishonored still sucks though.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

46. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 08:55 Verno

Quinn wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 05:24:
I spoke too soon, then. Thought 'twas a fact. No idea what my source was all those years back.

Still, not that it matters a single fuck whether you play a game on 60 or 80 or 120. Not even if you're in an FPS clan either. Been there done that. To me, at least, 60 fps is 100% smooth gameplay.

Normally I try to be less direct but you are talking out of your ass here, first with the claim that the human eye can't discern detail above 60fps and then that it doesn't matter in competitive play. Neither claim could be further from the truth. Personal preference is just that, personal. Don't apply it as conclusive evidence of anything.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

45. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 08:41 Axis

Quinn wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 05:24:
I spoke too soon, then. Thought 'twas a fact. No idea what my source was all those years back.

Still, not that it matters a single fuck whether you play a game on 60 or 80 or 120. Not even if you're in an FPS clan either. Been there done that. To me, at least, 60 fps is 100% smooth gameplay.

You couldn't be more wrong about how much it matters, specifically in competitions.

Yours truly,

Axis

44. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 05:24 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

43. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 04:06 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 03:56:
The human eye can't notice any difference between 60 fps and above..

Sorry, not true at all. If you put a game running at 60 FPS and a game running at 120 FPS side by side, the difference is clearly noticeable. It's not as significant as 30 vs 60 but it's definitely noticeable. If you have a recent Nvidia card, you can use EVGA Precision X to cap your framerate and see for yourself.

I actually cap my framerate at 80 because 120+ FPS feels almost too smooth. That and it consumes more electricity and generates more heat. And some poorly programmed games break when you play them at too high an FPS (like Bethesda's Gamebryo games).

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 04:12.

42. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 13, 2012, 03:56 Quinn

The human eye can't notice any difference between 60 fps and above..  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

41. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 22:18 Axis

Most people don't even know what resolutions their LCD/LED monitor can do greater than 60hz. Even if the app did an amazing job, a solid percentage of performance comes from tweaks to the game ini's, especially if they are built upon common engines.

I only care about 'bells and whistles' on single player RPG's. It's all about performance for FPS's. I wont touch a multi shooter unless I can get a minimum of 80 fps (with a monitor resolution that supports it), and a minimum of 90 FOV.

I prioritized performance way back, everyone who clanned did -- so it's a matter of seconds to get my games exactly how I want them.

Yours truly,

Axis

40. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 21:18 Mordecai Walfish

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 18:09:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:41:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:07:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:43:
That's overclocking software though, the nvidia thing is different.

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

My non-argumentative point is that Precision X can and does have a feature where you can pick your desired FPS target in a game which is the desired end result of the nVidia app which likely does a table look-up of your hardware configuration. The two programs share that same feature, but different methods.

Precision X does not change your config.ini of your game, but neither does the nVidia app I suspect...either way, nVidia's app only does this for a few games, where Precision X does it for any game/app.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2012, 02:21.

39. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 18:09 Optional Nickname!

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:41:

Obviously, you have never used Precision X. It's somewhat more than only clock speed adjustments, but you are right in that it does not change individual app settings in the app itself.

It's something completely different than what we are talking about here.. I think that was the point.

My non-argumentative point is that Precision X can and does have a feature where you can pick your desired FPS target in a game which is the desired end result of the nVidia app which likely does a table look-up of your hardware configuration. The two programs share that same feature, but different methods.

Precision X does not change your config.ini of your game, but neither does the nVidia app I suspect...either way, nVidia's app only does this for a few games, where Precision X does it for any game/app.

38. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 13:22 Prez

Maybe you're an old man, but please don't be one of those men that's intimidated by the latest tech. It's insulting

HAHA - sorry! I am old in body but even more so in mind.

I guess it's kind of like my aversion to talking about/listening to others talking about sports. It's not that I can't understand - I just find it tediously dull. I like the Giants and Jets, and the Yankees and Mets, and Rangers and Islanders, but I would rather watch grass grow than discuss the in's and out's of sports, the athletes that play them, or any of the recent games.

When it comes to graphics settings, just give me an "Awesome Button(TM)"!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 11:28 Creston

Prez wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 07:02:
Well then you learned something valuable from this today, as you can *always* set AF to 16x in any game you play and it will look much better, with little to no performance hit =) Thats not something you even have to think about when you're setting up gfx options. Just set it 16x and forget it =P

I appreciate that, though I WILL forget it in a day or ... erm... what were we talking about again?

We were talking about Snuggle Truck, Prez. Go back and play.

Creston

36. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 11:27 fiftykyu

Think I used Evga Precision to show FPS and lower the voltage on video cards (seemed safer than flashing a new bios like the cool kids do) - like RivaTuner, if I'm remembering the name correctly. Didn't notice it could do all the other things also.

35. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 Mordecai Walfish

34. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 12, 2012, 09:07 Optional Nickname!

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo