Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the 40th anniversary of the command module for Apollo 17 setting down, marking the last time man landed on the moon. One small step for (a) man. Too bad we've lost our stomach for giant leaps. Speaking of the calendar, I want to wish a happy Hanukkah to all who are celebrating, as we are now amid the festival of lights, which began on December 8th and runs through sundown Sunday.

Leaping Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Liquid Measure 3.
Links: Pointer Pointer. I laugh every time. Thanks jimnms.
Stories: Shyamalan's new sci-fi flick doesn't look immediately terrible in new trailer. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Smart Cups Detect Date Rape Drugs. Now we need drugs to detect dumb cups.
Media: Newegg TV- -Tech The Halls- Compilation Album.
Mission vs Bond.
Auction: A collector is selling every Super Nintendo game for $24,999.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: "Skyfall," "Twilight" Break More Records.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 08:36 PHJF

Signs as an experience is much better than Signs as a movie. Like Avatar.

I mean come on, "swing away!"??? Of all the groan-inducing shit movies have put me through over the decades...

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 08:31 Mr. Tact

InBlack wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 04:03:
No. I actually wanted to see an intelligent SF flick. Not dumb as fuck aliens who cant work a doorknob, are alergic to water (REALLY?? REALLY?) and happen to be the chosen enemy of GOD HIMSELF! WHAT THE FUCK!!???

First, unless I'm remembering incorrectly the character specifically says he "locked" him in. Don't know about you, but I can not turn a locked doorknob. Why a pantry door would have a lock might be questionable but easily ignorable.

Second, I agree allergy to water was odd but easily explained by various sci-fi ideas. I'd find it more salient to complain about them attacking a world which 3/4 of is covered by a liquid poisonous to them. But even that can be explained -- "planets with life are so rare it's worth the risk".

Third, God as the enemy of the aliens? Are you sure you are thinking of the correct film? The movie is about a man who has lost his faith. What happened to cause him to lose it, and what happens to cause him to get it back. Now, it just so happens the faith is his faith in God but it probably have been spun to be faith in humanity or something else.

I'm an agnostic leaning towards being an atheist and I still found that story line compelling. Do you enjoy any films or do you just always storm out complaining about the unbelievable things that happen in a fictional setting?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2012, 04:03 InBlack

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 14:30:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:53:
I thought Signs was ok. Well directed and acted, but meaningless and with a very poor ending.
I couldn't disagree more. The whole movie had meaning, that was entirely the point. I thought the ending was excellent. The only way I can see you thinking "Signs" was a bad film, is if you went to the film wanting and expecting an alien invasion action film. It wasn't that.

No. I actually wanted to see an intelligent SF flick. Not dumb as fuck aliens who cant work a doorknob, are alergic to water (REALLY?? REALLY?) and happen to be the chosen enemy of GOD HIMSELF! WHAT THE FUCK!!???

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 14:30 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:53:
I thought Signs was ok. Well directed and acted, but meaningless and with a very poor ending.
I couldn't disagree more. The whole movie had meaning, that was entirely the point. I thought the ending was excellent. The only way I can see you thinking "Signs" was a bad film, is if you went to the film wanting and expecting an alien invasion action film. It wasn't that.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 09:53 Beamer

Part of the problem with The Village was that it was advertised as a horror movie, with frightening scenes. There were none. It was a dull period piece, mostly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 09:39 Verno

I thought The Village was fine for what it was but it doesn't stand up to any plot scrutiny. It's one of those movies you kinda enjoy watching but then talking about it with someone afterward you realize you've been secretly mocked by the director and the whole thing was ridiculously implausible.

I thought Devil was good but he violated the cardinal fakeout rule in mystery solving which I think pissed off a lot of people who guessed beforehand and got handwaved off. Also had some really strange character performances from some of the actors, casting was all off.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

32. Re: The Village Dec 12, 2012, 07:50 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 17:32:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 17:14:
Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are classics, but after that mostly downhill.
I thought "Signs" was a fantastic film. But yeah, his most recent four films, Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, Devil, were not good.

'The Village' was mediocre at best too I thought. I liked DEVIL for some strange reason - it was a little goofy but it entertained me nonetheless. And SIGNS was really good - Gibson and Phoenix were excellent together. 'Lady in the Water' had a cute fairy-tale feel to it and I have always loved Dreyfus, but in the end you really had to wonder what Shyamalan was thinking when he made it.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2012, 07:56.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 04:47 InBlack

nin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:29:
NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:04:
nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 23:09:
Even when separated by decades, I find it hard not to compare it to the Christopher Reeve version (and it appears to be nothing like that). I guess because I grew up with the first few of those.

I kept waiting for the John Williams Superman theme to kick in while I watched the trailer.

Yep. That shot (in the new trailer) where he's flying around the earth - as soon as I saw it, the Williams theme popped into my head.

I miss Christopher Reeve.

Im avoiding the trailers for Superman, and Im secretly hoping it wont suck major donkey dong like Singer's did. I have very little faith in the casting though, the lead doesnt seem to have the charisma of Reeves and casting Superman without charisma is even worse than casting Batman with a lisp.

Also the suit is supergay, which might appeal to gays but Im not a fan of latex...

Still...Ill take a wait and see approach it might end up ok.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 04:07 Dan =0)

RIP Ravi Shankar...

EDIT: TinyURL links to a NYT article about Ravi, in case anyone is concerned about the redirect.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 00:29 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 00:04:
Even when separated by decades, I find it hard not to compare it to the Christopher Reeve version (and it appears to be nothing like that). I guess because I grew up with the first few of those.

I kept waiting for the John Williams Superman theme to kick in while I watched the trailer.

Yep. That shot (in the new trailer) where he's flying around the earth - as soon as I saw it, the Williams theme popped into my head.

I miss Christopher Reeve.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2012, 00:04 NegaDeath

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 23:18 Mordecai Walfish

Verno wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:42:
How is FF4 Complete anyway? I was thinking of dusting off my PSP and giving it a whirl soon. I'm a bit worried After Years/etc will ruin my memories of the game though, any good?

Complete is great. The game holds up wonderfully and many art assets have been updated to look much better on the PSP. It is still the same game though, which is a very good thing. The only big variation in the core game comes after you beat it, when you get to go to a special dungeon on the moon and play through new scenarios and challenges for each of the characters that can take place anywhere because it's somewhat of a cave of illusions.

I havent started the after years and interlude parts that comprise the rest of the "complete" package, as I'm still in the "cave of illusions" on the moon, but so far the additions have been very welcome. New "ultimate" gear for all the characters and bosses are the benefits from the cave.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 23:09 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 23:02:
Speaking of trailers.... anyone catch Man of Steel Trailer #2?

Yeah, not sure what to make of it...I'm sure I'll see it in the theater, but I'm not sure how well it'll turn out. Even when separated by decades, I find it hard not to compare it to the Christopher Reeve version (and it appears to be nothing like that). I guess because I grew up with the first few of those.

Got my Hobbit imax ticket for Friday morning (yea vacation!) before I realized it comes with 9 minutes of trek attached. Bonus!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 23:02 The Half Elf

Speaking of trailers.... anyone catch Man of Steel Trailer #2?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 20:12 fiftykyu

And the fun of raking the snow off the roof, carefully walking back, back, right off the deck (oops.)

First real snow there's been for me so far this year, so it's hard to complain too much about it. People always say how much worse winters used to be, and I do recall a lot more snow as a child, but of course we were all a lot shorter then.

Like when you drive past your old house and think hmm, was it always that small? Would be interesting to look up some historical snowfall records, but the best part of idle speculation is never having to say you're wrong.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 19:53 xXBatmanXx

I am not a fan of the snow. but then the few days after it snows a ton and it is ass cold out and the snow crunches and the salt doesn't work cause it is too cold.....feck. I hate this.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 18:16 NegaDeath

The biggest twist is that he continues to get movie gigs, even if this one has the potential to not be terrible.  

21. Re: The Village Dec 11, 2012, 17:32 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 17:14:
Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are classics, but after that mostly downhill.
I thought "Signs" was a fantastic film. But yeah, his most recent four films, Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, Devil, were not good.

20. The Village Dec 11, 2012, 17:14 jdreyer

I liked The Village, I don't understand the hate that movie gets.

In general though, I agree that M. Knight has gotten worse and worse. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are classics, but after that mostly downhill.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 17:09 jdreyer

Today is the 40th anniversary of the command module for Apollo 17 setting down, marking the last time man landed on the moon.

It wasn't the last one. There was Apollo 18. I saw the documentary earlier this year. But some bad shit went down, so I could see why people would want to forget it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo