Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World F2P Plans?

This video offers an apocalyptic warning from Joel Bylos, as the game director on The Secret World has recently discovered the alleged Mayan prophecy. The clip includes the Australian developer's concerns about this and concludes with him running through the Funcom offices warning the powers-that-be about the pending disaster, and imploring them to give gamers the chance to try The Secret World before the end of days by making the MMORPG free-to-play. This concludes with a "to be continued," and at no point does anyone say there will be a change to the game's business model, but it seems like a strange thing to joke about if nothing is going to come of it. In the conspiratorial tone of the game, word on the video included the following note: "According to Joel, the video is apparently the first in a series that he is putting together to bring attention to what he calls ‘the end of all things’. Don’t watch it; it’s just nonsense, really. Especially that bit near the end where he tries to force the corporate hand to relinquish the subscription requirement."

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 11:46 KS

As it isn't fantasy or space/sci-fi, it's one of the few MMOs former City of Heroes players were looking into.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 09:26 Rigs

It's not even that, Prez. It's the fact that nothing out there has come up that really warrants a sub. Nearly every MMO has problems with constant content (except Rift for some ungodly reason...one of the devs must be a devoted little shrew), especially in the end-game, so nothing except the much-vaunted WoW seems to be even worth it. Bring out a game that drips with content and playability and a story, something REALLY and TRULY mind-blowing and innovative (there's that little word again), and I don't think people would mind. Heck, I pay $15/month for iRacing and couldn't be happier (not to mention $11-$14 each for extra tracks and cars). It's worth far more than that, IMO. But if you're not a sim-racer, you'd scoff at that. GW2 was close to the money with the innovation and content thing, but any major MMO nowadays has to really reach for it if they're going to be able to sell a $50 game along with a $12-$15/month sub...(for the record, if they had brought out that HALO MMO and it kicked ass, I would have subbed for it, no question)...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

6. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 08:11 Prez

It would seem suicide to release an MMO with a subscription fee in this day and age. Unless you are Blizzard I guess.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 02:58 .Drifter

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 01:51:
This game was built and advertized as FTP for at least 2 years before the sudden change to pay to play one year from release.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven as far as i am concerned.

Morons....

You know, I keep reading this and yet I can never remember Funcom stating that TSW was going to be free to play at launch.
This goes all the way back to . . . what was it, 2009, when they had that "which secret society are you" gimmick on their website.

4. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 11, 2012, 01:51 Hellbinder

This game was built and advertized as FTP for at least 2 years before the sudden change to pay to play one year from release.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven as far as i am concerned.

Morons....

The Whales name is Bob.

3. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 10, 2012, 23:06 mlw

I played in the Beta a little bit. I was planning to check it out for a month perhaps under subscription. But then these hit me: Guild Wars 2, Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, Skyrim, Swtor FTP?, The Walking Dead adventure game, Batman Arkham City.

Too many games and too little time to play. If TSW goes FTP, I will check it out .. eventually. I am done with subscription MMOs.

2. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 10, 2012, 22:49 Asmo

The game was fun until max level then a lack of content meant you spent most of your time farming sigils to farm region bosses or running from overwhelming Templar numbers in PvP...

My first foray in to lifetime subs and it's a complete fucking fail...

Wonder if it's too late to get a refund. /eyeroll

1. Re: The Secret World F2P Plans? Dec 10, 2012, 20:29 Stimpack

Give me a break. It's not as if the game doesn't already have a cash shop. This was going to happen, and they were ready for it. It's not like it's the first time. Also the sub + micro is the reason I avoided the game in the first place. Aside from what I view as shitty business practices, the game itself seemed decent.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo