Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:57 Verno

They generally weren't popular here until they became the little guys against EA. If everyone had consistent views, we'd (with exceptions) dislike both sides here.

This wasn't aimed at me but I'm calling bullshit on it, that's just a justification for your rant. People have always been fairly enthusiastic about Popcap games for as long as I've been reading the site.

What are you hoping to gain here? I really don't get the point to be honest. Do you want everyone to just bring up every bad thing every company has done to be fair and balanced? Do you work for EA or Zynga? If not who cares? People will never be 100% balanced or fair, that's not human nature and you're not excluded from that either.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2012, 22:03.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:55 Quboid

Dades wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:43:
Why indulge him? EA is well known for buying up studios and squandering their talents, it's not even a thing most reasonable people would contest. It's not EA bashing to state a generally accepted fact. If you don't like it here thats your problem. Stop making it everyone elses fault when its how you choose to selectively interpret things. People like PopCap, they make fun little games. People don't like EA that much, they tend to beat the piss out of their studios creatively. If that bugs you oh well, get a thicker skin.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

I presume this is aimed at me (while not indulging me of course)? You've missed my point, my point is people's changing view of PopCap. They generally weren't popular here until they became the little guys against EA. If everyone had consistent views, we'd (with exceptions) dislike both sides here.

It's not EA bashing to criticise EA and their treatment of the studios they've bought, and I said nothing to this effect. However, it is EA bashing to decide said studio was lovely before EA got their hands on them. It's also bordering on EA bashing to criticise them when they are backing a studio, I appreciate there's some trepidation but this should be like a huge promotion for the studio.

The strange thing is, I don't like or dislike PopCap. I didn't like PvZ, I played a bit of pegg Bejeweled and didn't particularly care for it but there you go.

- Quboid

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:55 Verno

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:20:
That list means virtually nothing.

Err yeah it does, you made a pretty vague accusation and he refuted it handily. No offense but you've been asking for it lately with all of the "blah blah the community here sucks because they don't think like XYZ" stuff. Sometimes the cynicism gets to me but you don't fight it by feeding into it and to be honest sometimes its perfectly logical and understandable.

People just really like their games and the EA purchase made people weary for many legitimate reasons, since the acquisition it's been one bit of bad news after another. No idea why you're persisting with this, I'd just chalk it up to having a bad day and move on.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:45 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:39:
Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:30:
Yes you did. You mentioned "Zinga" out of the blue on that thread, the only connection Zynga had to the topic was that they're both casual game companies. That's a clearly implied comparison.

Nope. Popcap is a great studio, Zynga is run by talentless thieving hacks. I merely corrected the poster when he called for popcaps closure, nobody wants that. The target market has nothing to do with it.

Your still only at one.

Why Zynga? Why not EA? Why not Activision? Why not iD Software, who seem unpopular after Rage. Why not Apple, Microsoft, or one of the numerous companies that get a lot of (mostly deserved) stick? You just happened to pick the one company that's in the same target market.

One of the things I thought PopCap was unpopular for was for thieving, which they admit to.

And it's "you're", FFS!

- Quboid

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:43 Dades

Why indulge him? EA is well known for buying up studios and squandering their talents, it's not even a thing most reasonable people would contest. It's not EA bashing to state a generally accepted fact. If you don't like it here thats your problem. Stop making it everyone elses fault when its how you choose to selectively interpret things. People like PopCap, they make fun little games. People don't like EA that much, they tend to beat the piss out of their studios creatively. If that bugs you oh well, get a thicker skin.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:39 NegaDeath

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:30:
Yes you did. You mentioned "Zinga" out of the blue on that thread, the only connection Zynga had to the topic was that they're both casual game companies. That's a clearly implied comparison.

Nope. Popcap is a great studio, Zynga is run by talentless thieving hacks. I merely corrected the poster when he called for popcaps closure, nobody wants that. The target market has nothing to do with it.

Your still only at one.

As for people not wanting EA to influence Popcap. EA has a bad habit of torpedoing studios, we don't want that.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:30 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:26:
Negadeath, why did you draw a comparison between them and PopCap?

I didn't.

Yes you did. You mentioned "Zinga" out of the blue on that thread, the only connection Zynga had to the topic was that they're both casual game companies. That's a clearly implied comparison that suggests you see Zynga as the successor to PopCap's casual crown.

- Quboid

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:26 NegaDeath

I didn't.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 21:20 Quboid

That list means virtually nothing. The first entry is exactly what I was talking about. Most of the rest relate to PvZ, which I acknowledged was an exception.

That said, searching back a bit more there is less negativity towards PopCap that I'd thought, I will give you that. There was hostility to casual gaming at a time when PopCap was the biggest player so I believe my point stands. It would be like claiming you hate coffee shop chains but not Starbucks, they're alright - it doesn't work like that, you can't hate a concept but like the biggest purveyor. PopCap weren't as unpopular as I'd remembered, just everything they stood for.

Again, perhaps you enjoyed their games - and I readily believe you do, I don't believe a word a few people on here type but I consider you to be one of this site's senior members and not a bullshitter. But you were in a minority, until they became the little guys again.

This raises another point. If PopCap are so great, why are people so upset about them expanding and getting a hugely higher budget? Shouldn't you guys be delighted, excitedly anticipating one of your favourite studios getting the chance to dig their skilled little teeth into something bigger. Shouldn't you be praising EA for backing this studio?

- Quboid

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:59 nin

ok!

Re: Cuts at PopCap, THQ, and Funcom Aug 22, 2012, 07:24 Dades

Unbelievable, EA can even fuck up a sure thing like PopCap.

Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 16:09 jdreyer

Re: Zuma's Revenge Announced Aug 18, 2009, 11:51 beigemore
I liked the first Zuma... even though there are a ton of games exactly like it. Looking forward to this.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies May 6, 2009, 18:39 Creston
This game is fucking awesome. I just spent three straight hours at work playing it (hehe).

I nearly pissed myself laughing when the Michael Jackson zombie showed up.

There is no game you can buy for ten dollars that's cooler than this. None.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies May 6, 2009, 04:46 Zzet
I got 3 hours sleep last night. Guess why.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies May 6, 2009, 04:23 [THA] Hamst3r
PopCap is seriously one of the strangest developers around. They're like the Pixar of game devs. With their games, the level of entry is low enough for casual and younger gamers yet there's enough depth to it all for more hardcore players. Their games can get crazy difficult at the higher levels! Truly E for everyone and not diluted.

I guess I'm adding this to my PopCap collection. Peggle, Peggle Nights, Zuma and Heavy Weapon so far.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies May 6, 2009, 00:46 MTechnik
Damn popcap... I wanted to not like it, but I do have a weakness for tower defense games. And it is good (so far)

Alamar wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:50:
First off, I think it's awesomely ironic so many 'hardcore' PC gamers are raving over a casual title : )

It may be billed as casual and made by a casual company and have cute graphics, but it's a pretty deep strategy game. An order of magnitude deeper than Peggle and Bejeweled.

Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well shit. I've already bought like 10-12 games this year, with several more probable purchases. Adding this one to the top of the heap, unless the sequel is truly uninspired.

Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:31 jacobvandy

One of the best PC games out there, let alone from the casual genre. I have high hopes for the sequel.

Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 12:37 Prez

PvZ was absolutely perfect. So perfect that I wonder what a sequel could even do. Add more or longer rows maybe?

Re: Bejeweled 3 Demo Dec 8, 2010, 16:18 Cram
I tried the Zen mode with all those extra options enabled minus ambient sounds, in headphone mode. Before I knew it the hour trial was up; felt like I had been on some crazy high or something.

Re: Bejeweled 3 Released Dec 7, 2010, 13:41 fawker
steam not showing it available yet either.. already bought it.. fortunately was still able to nab it at prepurchase price..

Re: Bejeweled 3 Pre-Purchases Nov 11, 2010, 11:17 Creston
I want Bejeweled 3, but I don't want it on PC. Make an Android version, please.

Popcap Sep 9, 2010, 20:50 Cram
Nice to see a company not run or motivated by greed and stupid decisions. Good on them.

Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 9, 2010, 23:21 Sepharo
Valve should buy PopCap release a Steam app for mobile platforms and do what they do.

Re: Bejeweled Sells 50M Units Feb 10, 2010, 14:57 sc4r4b

I still can't believe they've sold 50 million copies of this game though. That just doesn't sound right at all.

Multiple platforms I am sure.

I play a lot of bejeweled. I used to be a big Tetris gamer but I have found I enjoy Bejeweled much more when it comes to casual gaming.

Re: Plants vs. Zombies in Stores, iPhone Plans Aug 20, 2009, 13:05 strich

Oh my god my life is over if this game comes to iPhone

ditto. I can't stop playing this game and the only thing that saves me from day to day is that it's on my laptop at home, so i can't play while i'm at work. God help us all if the iphone version comes to fruition.

I think I'll stop at 2009...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:54 NegaDeath

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:32:
[Once again, Verno was the voice of reason but look at netnerd's comments, and NegaDeath's to see how this is changing to the latest casual gaming baddie.

Sorry but no, my dislike of Zynga is not related to the market they cater to. Your down to one.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:44 Quboid

Oh bugger, this isn't going to make me look very clever. I'm confusing Peggle with Bejeweled. Remember the rash of "match 3" games that followed that?  

- Quboid

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:37 Quboid

nin wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:34:
Are you saying that PopCap have been respected here?

I was under that impression, yes.

I'm very surprised you feel that way.

Edit: that didn't take long.

Ok, so that's two people.

In less than 2 minutes.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2012, 20:42.

- Quboid

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:34 nin

Are you saying that PopCap have been respected here?

I was under that impression, yes.

Edit: that didn't take long.

Ok, so that's two people.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:32 Quboid

nin wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:24:
So you got nothin then?

Huh? Is this in reference to "I don't recall people here saying that at all."? Basically yes, I've got nothing. Of course not. I don't keep a list of everything mean people have posted. This is why I've avoided specifying particular users and I have, and will continue, to readily admit that some people genuinely liked some PopCap games.

Are you saying that casual gaming is welcomed here? Are you saying that PopCap have been respected here?

Edit: that didn't take long. Once again, Verno was the voice of reason but look at netnerd's comments, and NegaDeath's to see how this is changing to the latest casual gaming baddie.

- Quboid

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:28 Quboid

Verno wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 19:22:
Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 16:41:
Are you guys talking about a different PopCap? Maybe confusing them with PopTop? The PopCap I am familiar with were hated here for raping PC gaming and turning a generation of gamers into casual gaming lovers.

Funny how quickly things change when there's a hint of conflict with EA. Not even a hint, a theory. If that. EA are doing what they want with an organisation who voluntarily agreed to let them do this? Ohh, evil EA. Ohh, poor little PopCap. Oh, poor Peggle, remember how we loved this game?

No, no we didn't, we hated that game and we hated that developer. "Popcap's fantastic reputation"?! Are you kidding me? To be fair, maybe you did like them and PvZ is popular here (despite being the sort of casual game that we're supposed to be too cool to enjoy), but their reputation here was dismal.

Half - being generous - the posts here are just contrary EA bashing based on zero facts.

There's nothing wrong with enjoyable games that don't pander too much and still have enough depth to attract a wide variety of players. Plenty of people here like Popcap and play their games with family members.

You seem like you need a vacation or something, every time I see you post lately it's a generalized rant about some aspect of the community you don't like. You talk about contrary bashing but you're doing exactly the same thing.

You're right Verno, I am and I do. There's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying these games, my rants are against hypocrites who claim casual gaming is ruining the scene and then a few years later, back poor little PopCap against evil EA.

It's not my intention to be contrarian, it's inevitable when you're pointing out the hypocrisy and snobbery of what seems to be an ever larger portion of the Blues News community. Some of the comments when games like Skyrim and Blops2 were released made my head spin. It's frustrating to see such childish behaviour but maybe I'm not actually helping matters.

- Quboid

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:24 nin

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:22:
The hyperbole I used was in reference to the hyperbole that was around here back with PopCap seemed relevant - this sort of stuff is what was on here. I am not making this up, you know fine well that casual gaming and those who encourage it are persona non grata here; at least if you don't know that by now then you've only been reading your own comments.

I'm not confusing them with Zynga, but they're in the same boat and got about the same level of disdain until PopCap got bought out. If Zynga got bought out by EA, they'd become the pitied little guys and that would be just as much bullshit.

I normally try to be calm and reasonable but this pisses me off. You're accusing me of trying to be the cool guy? Half the people on here switched their PopCap allegiance the second they became the small, hip, picked-on developers. It's the same hipster shit that we see every time a CoD game comes out too, we're all far too fucking cool for casual games, for big name games, for console games. Aren't we so fucking special with our indie magic?

So you got nothin then?

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 20:22 Quboid

The hyperbole I used was in reference to the hyperbole that was around here back with PopCap seemed relevant - this sort of stuff is what was on here. I am not making this up, you know fine well that casual gaming and those who encourage it are persona non grata here; at least if you don't know that by now then you've only been reading your own comments.

I'm not confusing them with Zynga, but they're in the same boat and got about the same level of disdain until PopCap got bought out. If Zynga got bought out by EA, they'd become the pitied little guys and that would be just as much bullshit.

I normally try to be calm and reasonable but this pisses me off. You're accusing me of trying to be the cool guy? Half the people on here switched their PopCap allegiance the second they became the small, hip, picked-on developers. It's the same hipster shit that we see every time a CoD game comes out too, we're all far too fucking cool for casual games, for big name games, for console games. Aren't we so fucking special with our indie magic?

- Quboid

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 19:22 Verno

Are you guys talking about a different PopCap? Maybe confusing them with PopTop? The PopCap I am familiar with were hated here for raping PC gaming and turning a generation of gamers into casual gaming lovers.

Funny how quickly things change when there's a hint of conflict with EA. Not even a hint, a theory. If that. EA are doing what they want with an organisation who voluntarily agreed to let them do this? Ohh, evil EA. Ohh, poor little PopCap. Oh, poor Peggle, remember how we loved this game?

No, no we didn't, we hated that game and we hated that developer. "Popcap's fantastic reputation"?! Are you kidding me? To be fair, maybe you did like them and PvZ is popular here (despite being the sort of casual game that we're supposed to be too cool to enjoy), but their reputation here was dismal.

Half - being generous - the posts here are just contrary EA bashing based on zero facts.

There's nothing wrong with enjoyable games that don't pander too much and still have enough depth to attract a wide variety of players. Plenty of people here like Popcap and play their games with family members.

You seem like you need a vacation or something, every time I see you post lately it's a generalized rant about some aspect of the community you don't like. You talk about contrary bashing but you're doing exactly the same thing.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 18:55 jdreyer

Links, please. Not all casual game makers are the same. Popcap <> Zynga.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo